Thread: Clinton aides: 9/11 drama "terribly wrong"

Default Clinton aides: 9/11 drama "terribly wrong"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5326706.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 8 September 2006, 10:55 GMT 11:55 UK
    Clinton aides attack 9/11 drama
    Ground Zero in 2001
    It is five years since the terrorist attacks in the US
    A US TV mini-series about the 9/11 terrorist attacks has been called "terribly wrong" by a group of former President Bill Clinton's ex-officials.

The group, which includes former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, wrote a letter to ABC saying the drama contained factual errors.

They admitted to not having seen The Path To 9/11, but said those close to the production had told them about it.

ABC said the group's criticisms of were "premature and irresponsible".

It added a final version had not yet been seen.

The five-hour mini-series, starring Harvey Keitel, Patricia Heaton and Donnie Wahlberg, will air on Sunday and Monday in the US, to coincide with the fifth anniversary of the 11 September 2001 attacks.

The production is drawn from interviews and documents including the report from the September 11 commission.

The letter writers also include Clinton's National Security Adviser Sandy Berger, Clinton Foundation head Bruce Lindsey, the former president's adviser Douglas Band, and several other Democrats.

They object to the depiction of events which occured before Mr Clinton and his team left office in January 2001.

The Path to 9/11
    Actress Shirley Douglas plays Madeleine Albright in the series

"The content of this drama is factually and incontrovertibly inaccurate and ABC has a duty to fully correct all errors or pull the drama entirely," the letter reads.

"It is unconscionable to mislead the American public about one of the most horrendous tragedies our country has ever known," it continues.

Examples they cite include an alleged scene where Ms Albright is shown insisting on warning the Pakistani government before an air strike on Afghanistan.

"The scene as explained to me is false and defamatory," she wrote.

Defence

Mr Berger objected to a scene that he was told showed him refusing to authorise an attack on Osama Bin Laden despite the request from CIA officials.

Former US President Bill Clinton
    Former President Bill Clinton said the series should "tell the truth"

"The fabrication of this scene cannot be justified under any reasonable definition of dramatic licence," he wrote.

ABC said in a statement said it wanted people to wait to see the programme before making a comment.

"For dramatic and narrative purposes, the movie contains fictionalised scenes, composite and representative characters and dialogue, and time compression," ABC said in its statement.

"We hope viewers will watch the entire broadcast of the finished film before forming an opinion about it."

Bill Clinton said he had not seen the series himself, but told reporters at a Democratic fundraising event in Arkansas: "They shouldn't have scenes that are directly contradicted by the findings of the 9/11 report."

I find it interesting that the same people who are bitching about the 9/11 drama and blaming everything on Clinton had absolutely NO problem bullying CBS into not showing The Reagans on network TV because it criticized some of Reagan's policies. And nobody had even seen it, including them.

Yet open season on anything to do with Clinton is fine and dandy. Clinton made mistakes, sure, but Bush has been in office more than six years and he has done nothing but make things a whole lot worse. And he doesn't even seem interested in capturing Osama bin Laden. Maybe because he is connected to his best pals, the Saudi royal family? Nah, couldn't be.

I have no interest in watching that garbage ABC is putting out. The movie is being made by David Cunningham (son of Loren Cunningham of Youth with a Mission) and he and his ilk are classic right-wing theocrats. This movie is simply to blame Clinton of things that did'nt happen in his presidency. Because every republican blames Clinton for everything that happens in the universe.

A*O

I don't think ANY politician of any political persuation can hold his/her head up and say they handled the whole terrorist threat pre and post 9/11 with any degree of competence. The intelligence WAS out there, but nobody seemed prepared to listen, let alone act. I think a lot of it was sheer complacency - surely nobody would dare attack the USA on it's own soil. Bill Clinton may have made mistakes, but they are nothing compared to the royal fuckups Dubya has perpetrated.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

perhpas CBS should have had Michael Moore do the documentary - after all, he knows every damn thing.
    I don't care if they make all these asshats the bad guys - as far as I can see, they all ARE. They ALL fucked up. Osama has been a thorn in the ass since BEFORE Ollie North was on trial/the Iran Contra Affair - couldn't ONE of those fuckers in the white house have done SOMETHING????
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

OCD

The movie accurately showed many points in both administrations where people failed to act due to political correctness and not wanting to put their @sses on the line. The 9-11 report basically says the exact same thing, no one had any balls.

Same old same old.

PREZACTLY. There has never and will never be a perfect administration - frankly, I'll be glad when Bush does leave the office. Can't wait to see who will be next.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Watched it, it was ok. Of course Im crying the last hour or so of it. What got to me the most is the scene with Kietel in the stairway and the building is coming down and the noise is so errie and the look on his face knowing he is not going to make it out.

Thread Information