Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My Version of Cutting the Cord ....

Default My Version of Cutting the Cord ....

I currently have Triple Play with Comcast/Xfinity and I recently fell out of contract. I'm paying almost $300 a month, which is as ridiculous as much as it is unsustainable. I've talked to them multiple times trying to get into a new contract. I've even talked to their "retention department". The only thing they'll offer me (because my current plan is no longer an offer) is a different contract that raises my even MORE and gives me fewer channels. I've had it. Makes it even worse that they keep sending me new offers for a two year Triple Play contract for $79.99/month with a $200 Visa gift card twice a week to my address, which they have in their system as already a customer.

I've been trying to read up on cutting the cord stuff, but to be honest, I'm kind of out of my element. I definitely will be at least keeping my high speed internet through Comcast because I have a ton of crap on wi-fi so I need something with a lot of teeth. The only other option is newly run FiOS but everybody is saying that the internet service is awful. Oh, there's DirectTV but that's off the table (don't like it). My mobile carrier (another money pit) pays my Netflix bill and I've had Amazon Prime since its inception. I also have YouTube Premium, which doesn't really apply here.

I'm expecting to have to pay $60 to $80 a month for Comcast internet, based on neighbors in the neighborhood. I'm planning on getting Hulu + Live TV to satisfy my cable channels ... my son also really enjoys Hulu itself for their anime/manga. I also plan on getting at least HBO, possibly Starz. So worst case scenario, it would be internet for $80, $45 for Hulu + Live TV and $15 for HBO ... that would be $140 per month instead of almost $300.

I spoke to someone briefly about what would have the better interface (I really like my Comcast menu!!) and they said the closest would be Roku, but it wouldn't be even close to Comcast. So there's that. I have two new smart TVs and they might even have Roku on them, I have no clue. The Hulu/Live TV has 50 hours of DVR space (I think it's on a cloud), but I'm thinking I might like to get my own. I also need to buy another DVR for my security system because the company I use no longer supports the one I purchased from them and I haven't really been recording anything beyond 24 hours. I also need a mesh network system. I have one now, but either it's configured wrong or a POS because my master bedroom has barely any wifi service most of the time. I'm undecided on renting a router from Comcast or just buying one (if I rent one, they have a new mesh network model). Again, I have one now, but I have no idea if it's enough for everything running in my house. As it is, my security system, smart key locks (2, but will be 3 next week when my garage door will be replaced and a smart door opener will be added to my wifi) and Nest thermostat drop out sometimes because they can't find the network.

I'm just trying to figure all of this out. Has anyone (sort of) cut the cord before? Am I forgetting anything? I'm thinking about hiring someone to come in and redo my whole network after I drop the Triple Play but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I start buying stuff or paying someone. Feeling kind of overwhelmed.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

I haven’t had cable in years, but we were not big tv watchers anyway. I get by with just prime, Netflix and Hulu. I’ll temporarily add hbo or starz if there’s a show I want to see. The big thing for me is game pass since I must have football. I’d only hire someone to figure it out for you if your son or his friends couldn’t figure it out.
    Nevan likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

No cable here either except for internet. We have Netflix and Amazon Prime. It's more than enough for entertainment.
    Nevan and Sarzy like this.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

I cut the cord a few years ago. I originally has PS Vue for live TV, but then switched to YouTubeTV.

One big thing to consider with live TV is the number of simultaneous streams. That's how many TVs/devices you can stream at one time. It looks like Hulu with Live TV allows 2 simultaneous streams, and you can upgrade to more if needed.

I have not missed cable at all. The different services have different features and differences in channel lineups. The biggest feature differences are usually number of simultaneous streams, DVR (how it works/capacity vs. time, whether it's standard or an add-on), devices supported, number of logins per account (this allows different profiles for different family members). The DVRs are on the cloud.

The only negative I've had with the DVRs is that some of the services replace DVR recordings with on-demand. For example, on YouTubeTV, if you record a CBS program, for something like the first month, only the on-demand is available, once that time period expires, the DVR recording is available. That's the only channel that I've run into that, and apparently it's to get a better deal for carrying CBS. Most of the time, if there is a DVR recording and an on-demand option, you get to choose which you want to watch. I've seen complaints that other services switch to on-demand more regularly and don't give you the DVR option.

The interface is different than cable, but you get used to it quickly. One thing to note is that if you have different devices (eg. Roku vs. FireTV vs. Shield, etc.), the interface can be different on each device.
    Nevan likes this.
    Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

So, what are you guys using .... Firestick, Roku, what? Pros and cons? Also I didn't realize that YouTube had a TV version ... I'm going to have to check that out. There's only two people that live here so I don't think the Hulu + Live TV would run into problems.

I have read numerous articles while researching this stuff that the streaming industry is going to go through major overhauls sometime next year. Netflix is losing a ton of content. DisneyTV will be streaming all their movies and stuff, which is enormous (you'd be surprised). A lot of networks are going to offer a streaming option.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

It's been 8 years since the last time I had cable? We do internet only ($70 for fiber internet), then we have Netflix, Hulu (no ads), Prime, and we will be adding Disney+ in November. We also added HBO for while Game of Thrones was airing. We tried doing SlingTV for a few months but didn't find we were using it that much for live tv so we canceled. We never lack for content, but we definitely have to wait for new content for certain shows to hit the platforms we are using.

Disney+ seems like legitimately the best streaming deal out there right now. I missed the chance for the super cheap 3 year plan, so I'm wondering how long $6 a month is going to last.

For how we watch it, we have a smart TV in the living room which has native apps for Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/regular YouTube and a few others like HBO. We have a PS4 and a Roku hooked up to it too. PS4 for gaming, Roku for a few apps that the TV doesn't have, but we never really use that-I think that'll be the way we get Disney+ when that launches though, they haven't included our TV on the supported device list. We have a cheap RokuTV in the bedroom and it works for what we need, which is basically background noise for putting laundry away. I wouldn't recommend it as your primary device, it's slow to respond to remote functions and the picture is washed out even with the best settings, but it's serviceable.
    Nevan likes this.

I watch Netflix and YouTube. Recently I found the site USTVGO.TV. It has dozens of live networks. I love it and highly suggest it.

I havent had cable/satellite in 10+ years. I watch Amazon, Netflix and Hulu via smart TVs or Rokus. I buy Sling during college football season. I would say on average, I spend no more than $25 a month for the services I buy. I could not fathom spending $300 a month of TV and I'm a TV/Movie junkie.

Yeah we have smart TVs with native apps and use the Xbox for nfl gamepass since it’s not native on any tv brands and I definitely researched that. I find that irritating since I despise having to use the Xbox controller and it’s millions of buttons. In my day there was just a joystick and a button ffs.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have Google Chromecast up in my bedroom and Roku downstairs...whittling my cable down. I spoke with the command financial planner and he says that Roku and Chromecast are more than enough and I should ask Comcast/Xfinity for internet service only.
    Waterslide and Novice like this.
    "I am a social vegan; I avoid meet! Anonymous Introvert

I know that I will start having to pare things down soon. I was eating, sleeping, and breathing TV for the past few years and now I'm never home so I pay for so many subscriptions I can't even use. But I was waiting until I move and get a new start to do that, but that keeps pushed back. But yeah, I appreciate all the info in here because Comcast and everything else drives me crazy. I would rather spend a full Saturday at the DMV than spend two minutes talking to Comcast Customer Service. I get so angry and frustrated that I make myself sick which is a ridiculous waste of anger and frustration.
    BITTER likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Between Netflix, Hulu, YouTubeRed, Amazon Prime and sometimes HBO Now I have everything I need. Plus, I can take my Firestick with me when I travel!
    BITTER and Lalasnake like this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Well, I'm back. I've been procrastinating about cutting back my Comcast bill to just high speed internet. No good reason. My bills have been hovering around $308 per month. Ridiculous. Two weeks ago, I bought two Roku sticks, so I really have no excuse.

Comcast forced my hand though. Last year at some point, they dropped my Cinemax, which I had a subscription to. They replaced it with Epix and Hitz which are pretty much cheaper versions of Netflix or Prime. Each have several channels. One of them has a TV listings schedule running, but when you click on it to watch it, it goes to an unhelpful front page and you have to go through everything to search for it ... seriously, it looks like a cheesy Kodi app. I was not happy ... they didn't lower my bill, they just said that Epix and Hitz made up for it. There's only two Cinemax channels in their lineup, so I didn't miss them *too* much. And apparently they warned this would happen on their statements months in advance, but I pay through their app on my phone and I don't really see statements. You can re-subscribe to Cinemax but how do they get away with that?? They want me to pay again for channels that I'm already paying for?

So this evening, I found something on Starz that I wanted to watch (and Comcast has about 8 Starz channels so it was immediately obvious). I get the window saying that I am not subscribed to Starz and they're having a $5/month for 6 months special. Again, I don't see my statements so I had no idea this was happening. Apparently Comcast and Starz have been having contentious battles up until the very end of 2019 to the beginning of 2020. This time though, my bill seems to have dropped about $18 per month. I watch Starz a lot so this is unacceptable.

After I cut Comcast, I did plan on subscribing to HBO and Starz but I'll be doing that on my own ... I'm not giving Comcast one more penny than I have to. So tomorrow/this weekend, I'm guessing I'll be heading down to the Comcast store to bring all my boxes back and getting their new router/mesh network and negotiating my internet only bill. Anybody else in the same boat or will be soon?
    Bluebonnet likes this.

We have you tube tv and Philo. That’s for all the network stuff. Philo doesn’t have local, but it has all the discovery channel’s, hgtv, tvland, etc. More for me and the kidlet. YouTube tv has all the local channels and network stuff. Plus a lot of sports channel’s for my SO. He gets the nfl package in the fall.

We we also have Hulu, Netflix, Apple, and Disney. Plus a few more that we’ll buy for a month just to watch something. It’s still way less monthly than directv or cable. Both of which require a two year contract to get a decent price. We don’t have a home phone anymore, not sure how I feel about that, and we have a serious internet connection since my SO works from home.
    louiswinthorpe111 and Nevan like this.

I miss the days of just 4 channels and all one had to do was plug the TV into the wall, adjust the antennae and that was it.

I'm super ignorant about "streaming" services. How does that work? I know one must have a smart TV and of course internet (WiFi) but what else goes into it? Does a plain flat screen TV work or is the "Smart" TV a whole different thing.

I'm so old school that I like my cheesy local news and PBS! LOL!

Oh, and Nevan: just be ready for Comcast to totally love bomb/hoover you when you go to return the boxes, etc., trying to get you to stay with them.

Last edited by Bluebonnet; February 21st, 2020 at 12:16 PM.
    Nevan likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information