Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By zebracakes
  • 1 Post By stella blue
  • 1 Post By ShimmeringGlow
  • 2 Post By Sylkyn

Thread: S-Town podcast

Default S-Town podcast

Yes, I know this isn't technically television or movie, but not sure where to post it.

Is anyone listening to this podcast? From the folks that brought you Serial and This American Life - brilliant guy in shit-town Alabama contacts the reporter to investigate a possible murder. And the story goes in a completely different direction after that.

All seven episodes dropped today, and I've listened to six of them. Somebody tell me I'm not the only nut out there who is enthralled by this.

I binge listened the whole thing yesterday. I almost felt like I'd lost a friend by the end of it. What a fascinating, but tragic guy. I feel like I can't say too much though because I don't want to spoil it for other people.
    stella blue likes this.

I've just finished listening - and i loved it. Such an interesting character. And i thought they did a great job of telling the story.

I have a really hard time listening to things, so I don't know much about podcasts that don't appear on YouTube. My curiosity is piqued though, so how do you find this?
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I use the Stitcher app. Apple has a built in podcast app for the iphone but I don't usually use it because I can't figure out how to keep it from downloading 1000 of them at a time and eating all the memory on my phone. I'm addicted to podcasts, so I've got a list of about 50 that I keep up with regularly.

Uncle Jimmy in Shittown. Good lord.
    Waterslide likes this.

OK, I've heard of Stitcher. Thanks! I will try to check it out.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I may as well ask: Am I the only one who Googled pics? The maze was cool. The mutilated nipple pics just made me feel sad. Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately? - I can't remember where I found them.

The Daily Mail has an article about the podcast and John.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.daily...-McLemore.html

The podcast was a fascinating look at small town life. I didn’t like parts of it, but that was probably the point.
    zebracakes likes this.

Thanks for posting this! It really comes to life when you can see all the pictures. I wish they had posted a photo of Tyler's house that he built.

From an article about the podcast.

Throughout his career, John became known for fire-gilding, a rare and often dangerous practise which used mercury to cover clock parts and other metal objects with a thin layer of gold.

John’s depression, anxiety and mood swings were all symptoms indicative of mercury poisoning, and although his autopsy never looked for the disease it is now thought that his career may have contributed to his eventual suicide.

Read more: Hooked on S-Town? This is what John B. McLemore looked like | Metro News

One of the best things ever done in the history of EVER. I live less than an hour away from S-Town and for me, that made it all the more fascinating. What a fantastic, funny, tragic story.
    ShimmeringGlow and Waterslide like this.

Something that irritated me a little bit was when the mercury part was discussed, the host was all "wow, I've never even heard of that - who knew?" Um, everyone on planet earth besides you. Surely he was playing dumb because that is common knowledge.

Thread Information