Thread: The Big Bang Theory Spinoff

Default The Big Bang Theory Spinoff

LIFESTYLE

‘Big Bang Theory’ Spinoff Features Young Sheldon Cooper Growing Up in Texas

By Spring Sault | March 17, 2017
    9.0KSHARES

TWEET

0 COMMENTS

The TV show “The Big Bang Theory” will soon see a spinoff of Jim Parsons’ character Sheldon, as CBS prepares for a 2017-2018 viewing season premiere of a younger version of the character “Sheldon Cooper” – a 9-year-old living with his family in Texas. Parsons, who was originally unsure of the popularity of such a storyline, has since agreed to work on the project and made the formal announcement on the Today Show this past week.

Photo: Facebook/Lucca Comics & Games
    In an interview with NBC’s Today Show, Parsons indicated that the spinoff was officially a go and will feature “Young Sheldon” based on the decade of material that has already been developed via “The Big Bang Theory.” Each episode will focus on the character’s experiences and will be narrated by Parsons, himself born and raised in Houston, Texas.

Photo: Facebook/Iain Armitage: Iain Loves Theatre

The 9-year-old version of the Cooper character will be played by Iain Armitage, who you may recognize from the HBO series “Big Little Lies” in the role of the son of Shailene Woodley’s character. The spinoff will focus on Armitage filling the role of the young prodigy as he attends a Texas high school. Parsons will not only narrate the episodes but will also serve as one of the executive producers. Whether Armitage will be wearing a Flash T-shirt and saying, “Bazinga!” remains to be seen.
    ?Big Bang Theory? Spinoff Features Young Sheldon Cooper Growing Up in Texas

panic likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Ha, that's the first thing I thought when I saw the picture - "it's Ziggy from Big Little Lies!"
    Waterslide likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Why???
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

My first thought was why.

My second thought was, yeah, that is Ziggy. He's adorable on BLL...
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Why???
    I'm assuming because Sheldon is such a quirky character.
    panic likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Do we really need a spin off of big bang theory
    holly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Why???
    Waterslide likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

i love sheldon so i'll watch it to see if it's good. but i'm skeptical that anyone can pull off a mini sheldon.
    sprynkles likes this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

I love BBT. Love it. I'll check it out but don't have high hopes.
    panic likes this.

Inside the Crazy Family Connection Between the Stars Playing Sheldon's Mom on Big Bang Theory & Young Sheldon

“You’re turning into your mother” is often considered an insult, but not to Zoe Perry. In fact, becoming her mother — three-time Emmy Award winner Laurie Metcalf— recently became a job requirement for the 33-year-old actress.
    Sept. 25, Perry will make her debut as Mary Cooper on the new CBS series Young Sheldon, a prequel to The Big Bang Theory, where she’ll play the boy genius’ mother, a role concurrently played by Metcalf on Big Bang.
    “It’s surreal,” Perry says in the current issue of PEOPLE. “When I first arrived at Young Sheldon and was meeting our crew, some people would say, ‘You’ve really got the character down.’ I said, ‘Yeah. It’s been a long study.’ ”

RAMONA ROSALESThe high-profile gig is a big step for Perry, who most recently guest-starred on nine episodes of Scandal alongside her father, actor Jeff Perry, who plays Cyrus Beene on the ABC drama.
    “It’s incredible to be going from the Shondaland universe to Big Bang creator Chuck Lorre’s,” Perry says of her career trajectory.
    And her mom couldn’t be prouder.
    “It’s been stressful for me because I never knew if she had that thick of a skin,” Metcalf admits of her daughter’s entrance into the world of acting. “But I’ve enjoyed watching her ride so far.”

• For more from Metcalf and Perry, check out the latest issue of PEOPLE, on newsstands now

Perry was just 4 years old when Metcalf debuted as Roseanne Barr’s sister Jackie on Roseanne in 1988.
    “We worked 9 to 3 and had weekends and summers off. It was a great schedule for a parent,” Metcalf says of starring on the comedy for nine seasons.
    Perry even appeared as a young version of Jackie on a few episodes, but her parents, who split when she was a toddler, had an “unwritten pact” that Perry wouldn’t go into acting until she was an adult.
    “I didn’t want her to have to deal with the stress,” says Metcalf.
    And that was just fine with Perry.
    “I was shy,” she admits, and so she chose not to act in high school to avoid comparisons to her parents. But eventually she found herself fitting in with the “community of weirdos” in the theater department at Northwestern University.
    n 2012 Metcalf (who is also mom to sons Will, 23, and Donovan, 17, and daughter Mae, 12, with ex-husband Matt Roth) got to share the stage with Perry in the drama The Other Place on Broadwa“I’d already done the play [Off-Broadway], and I was nervous that I would feel maternal and want to interject with suggestions,” says Metcalf.

But it quickly became clear that wouldn’t be necessary.
    “She could definitely hold her own,” Metcalf says. “Suddenly I was working with a peer, and that was a great feeling.”
    Now, as they play the same character on two shows at the same time, Perry says her young Mary Cooper will be a unique creation, but she’s grateful for the examples set by her mother — and of course, for the genetics.
    “It won’t be too hard,” she says, smiling. “Don’t we all become our parents?”
    The season 11 premiere of The Big Bang Theory and series premiere of Young Sheldon air Monday (beginning at 8 p.m. ET) on CBS. Young Sheldon will regularly air Thursdays beginning Nov. 2.

Big Bang Theory & Young Sheldon: Laurie Metcalf & Daugther Zoe Perry Interview
    gas_chick likes this.

That was a really god pilot episode. I wasn't not expecting it to be so non-sitcommie.

The mother-daughter thing is pretty interesting. I loved Laurie Metcalf on Roseanne. MIght have to check this out to see if her daughter is anywhere near as good.
    Bluebonnet and gas_chick like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I thought ZP was good. I had no idea while watching that she was Laurie's daughter. I was amazed as how much she sounded like her.
    sluce, Trixie and Bluebonnet like this.

Ok, I just checked and I can get the pilot on demand. I will definitely watch. I was curious about the kid from BLL too. He was so cute in that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information