Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Young Pope on HBO ... anybody watching this?

  1. #1
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,795

    Default The Young Pope on HBO ... anybody watching this?

    With Jude Law and Diane Keaton. I started watching it by accident. And then had to start over from the beginning. It's way out there. So much imagery that I'm having flashbacks of AP English and The Odyssey. I'm not Catholic, but I'm fascinated by most religions, especially the history and rituals of them. Any body else watching?

  2. #2
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    I was gonna start a thread about this show today, but didn't get around to it. I am watching, but honestly, I'm kind of confused by it. But I think that's the point?

    Jude Law plays (is?) a great asshole. I think the character that I have felt the most drawn to so far is Voiello. He seems so tortured, but has that greasy, underhanded way of being a smartass, playing all sides, not pissing off the King (Pope) too much, and still keeping his head (probably literally). Kind of like a modern-day Catholic Tyrion from Game of Thrones. Well, now I think I realize why he amuses me so much.

    I liked the conversation Pope Pius has with the Prime Minister of Italy in the last episode. It's like playing chess with a narcissist. You keep wondering if the Pope really does believe everything he says.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  3. #3
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,795

    Default

    You are definitely supposed to be guessing! Did you see the opening intro of the first episode? I sat there saying wtf? wtf? wtf? over and over. I love all the pageantry of it. The papal tiara?

  4. #4
    Elite Member greysfang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Burning Down Your Windmill
    Posts
    51,521

    Default

    I'm going to start watching this soon. I might wait until the season is over so I can binge as much as I want.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

    http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

  5. #5
    Elite Member MsDark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northwest MS/Memphis TN
    Posts
    25,504

    Default

    I'm watching this.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

    "I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

  6. #6
    Elite Member kasippu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,910

    Default

    Yes LOVED IT Saw the whole series, even my husband loved this.

    His remark about twitter made me laugh,

  7. #7
    Elite Member panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,712

    Default

    you never really know where the pope stands.

    SPOILER:

    i loved him for releasing the kangaroo to live free on the grounds. but who killed the kangaroo? and why? am i missing something that's obvious?

    the one thing i always wanted to know is why his parents left him.

    loved when he sent the child molesting priest to rural alaska to freeze his ass off.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

  8. #8
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,795

    Default

    ETA: All of this is SPOILER!!!




    Holy shit, the imagery with this show, it's almost too much. And I may be getting old, but I have to watch each episode multiple times because along with all the innuendo, there's just so much going on. I loved the kangaroo part too, but when did it get killed?? I don't remember that. It's got to mean something.

    I think you're supposed to wonder about his parents only because he's so obsessed with them. He's so strict and fundamental because he's trying to recreate the whole history of his parents. He wants them to be Jesus (hence the dream father that always looks like Jesus) and I think Mary, but I'm unsure about the mother. He wants them so badly to be good people and not just hippies that were fast and loose and dropped off an unwanted baby at an orphanage. I think Sister Mary knows waaay more about them then she's letting on.

    Yes, there are things that he's ruthless about (one thing that comes to mind is when Voiello hesitated to kiss his feet in his outlandish and over the top thing (I don't know what it's called) that he had in the Sistine Chapel when he was carried in, he used his other foot to force Voiello down to kiss that foot!). I'm really starting to think that's supposed to tie into with today's world and Trump, quite honestly. You kind of cheer for the bad guy and then step back and say wait a minute, this guy is out of his mind. Again, so much imagery, it's hard to decipher. The papal tiara!!

    The thing I'm REALLY dying to figure out is Esther. I think she was sent in to him to try to seduce Lenny so they could find dirt on him (and is that scene of a threeway with his foster brother real or not?) to get him out of power. But then he started I guess ministering? to Esther. They prayed before the Virgin Mary. I swear I don't remember them showing her husband before she gave birth and I seriously thought she was going to either say it was Lenny's baby OR that it was a virgin birth. Now I have no clue what's going on, but it's kind of creepy how utterly enthralled and attached he is to little Pius already.
    panic likes this.

  9. #9
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    I was so upset when I realized I'd watched the last episode of the season. I know if I go through and watch it again, I'll probably get more of the subtle hints and symbolism, but I was enjoying the more obvious lascivious, devious parts so far.

    My favorite moment so far has been the theological discussion between Lenny and James Cromwell's character about abortion. Very interesting.
    Nevan, panic and kasippu like this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  10. #10
    Elite Member panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,712

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I loved the kangaroo part too, but when did it get killed?? I don't remember that. It's got to mean something.
    it was in the 8th episode. pope was walking around the grounds and found the kangaroo laying on the steps in its blood. i think it was stabbed but whatever it was, it didn't look like natural causes or an accident.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    I'm really starting to think that's supposed to tie into with today's world and Trump, quite honestly. You kind of cheer for the bad guy and then step back and say wait a minute, this guy is out of his mind.
    i compared him to trump constantly for a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nevan View Post
    (and is that scene of a threeway with his foster brother real or not?)
    i think the threesome was real but i didn't think lenny was in the threesome. that was lenny? i thought the threesome was the foster brother, some other guy and the crime boss's wife.

    also interesting about the threesome is that the girl's husband who later killed the pope's foster brother said he was killing him because he had sex with his wife. but before the foster brother left honduras for rome, he appointed a monsignor to take his place in honduras - a guy who calls out for people to fight against the gangs, violence and narco trafficking that infests honduras. A guy who would refuse to give communion to crime bosses and refuse to perform weddings for their daughters. so i think the husband killed him because he fucked his wife, yes, but also because he put a guy in place that wants to put him out of business.

    i also don't get the significance of the fat lady in bed that was removed from her room by a crane and then changed her mind and told them to bring her back to bed.
    Nevan likes this.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

  11. #11
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    i also don't get the significance of the fat lady in bed that was removed from her room by a crane and then changed her mind and told them to bring her back to bed.
    I thought I had missed something. Who was she supposed to be?
    Nevan likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  12. #12
    Elite Member panic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,712

    Default

    the only significance i can think of is, when pope sent cardinal gutierrez to new york to bring the child-molesting priest back for a trial, remember gutierrez didn't wanna go to new york because he said he doesn't know how to live outside the walls of the vatican? maybe the fat lady ties in with that because she never went outside her walls either. when people tried to help her get out of there, she changed her mind as she hung in mid air by a crane, she said,"put me back in my room." maybe that happened so cardinal gutierrez could see that he was in the same boat as the lady because he was just as afraid to leave the safety of his own walls as she was afraid to leave hers? just a guess.

    how about that corrupt nun in africa? teenage boys were beaten by guards for licking the walls of that greenhouse-water thing to get a drop of water. the pope is just casually watching them get beat as he smokes a cigarette in the dark where no one can see him. later on he denies the nun funding for her orphanage. turns out later on she was hoarding dozens of bottles of water in the fridge for herself while the orphans can't get a drop, and as pope stops the cars so he can can pray in a parking lot, he was talking to god about something but we couldn't hear what he saying. then at the orphanage, the nun wakes up with chest pains, pulls one of those frosty bottles of water from her fridge, and dies of heart attack right there. i thought that was pretty powerful.
    Waterslide and Nevan like this.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

  13. #13
    Elite Member Nevan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,795

    Default

    I think your guess has good merit.

    Your second paragraph is exactly what I was trying to convey in my wall of text earlier. I think this is all tying in with the world this very minute. We're applauding vigilante justice (well, some people, not most of us here) while others are seeing the crime of it for what it is, and the eventual reckoning that we're going to have to deal with. The trees through the clouds. It really is a beautifully and thoughtfully written show. I've never been a big fan of Jude Law, but I can't imagine anyone else pulling off this role. The guy that plays Voiello and Diane Keaton are great too. I usually like James Cromwell too, I just think he hasn't gotten much to do yet.
    Waterslide and panic like this.

  14. #14
    Elite Member Waterslide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    out where the buses don't run
    Posts
    13,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    the only significance i can think of is, when pope sent cardinal gutierrez to new york to bring the child-molesting priest back for a trial, remember gutierrez didn't wanna go to new york because he said he doesn't know how to live outside the walls of the vatican? maybe the fat lady ties in with that because she never went outside her walls either. when people tried to help her get out of there, she changed her mind as she hung in mid air by a crane, she said,"put me back in my room." maybe that happened so cardinal gutierrez could see that he was in the same boat as the lady because he was just as afraid to leave the safety of his own walls as she was afraid to leave hers? just a guess.
    I think you're right about the parallels between the fat lady being trapped in her apartment and Gutierrez being trapped by the Vatican, by The Pope, by religion, and even by his sexual preference. I felt so bad for him in that scene where he almost gets run down by a bicycle I think it was just as he's leaving The Vatican for the first time.

    Now, I am just wondering whether or not I missed her character's introduction into the storyline. What is her name? How is she related to Gutierrez? How do they know each other? Why is he visiting her? If I nod off occasionally when catching up on all my TV shows, I miss stuff. lol
    panic likes this.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.


  15. #15
    Elite Member kasippu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,910

    Default

    She is not related, she is the 'landlady' of the apartment he stays in to get evidence on that cardinal.
    Waterslide and panic like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 6th, 2016, 12:00 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: September 14th, 2014, 12:06 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •