Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Slushie
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By emkat

Thread: Black Mirror on Channel 4 and Netflix

Default Black Mirror on Channel 4 and Netflix

Black Mirror

Featuring stand-alone dramas -- sharp, suspenseful, satirical tales that explore techno-paranoia -- "Black Mirror" is a contemporary reworking of "The Twilight Zone" with stories that tap into the collective unease about the modern world. Each story features its own cast of unique characters, including stars like Bryce Dallas Howard ("The Help"), Alice Eve, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Tom Cullen and Jerome Flynn ("Game of Thrones"). Joe Wright, Dan Trachtenberg, and James Watkins are among the featured directors.
    I don't even know how to talk about this show without giving away spoilers, but I really just want to. I finished it over the past week or so, and it's kind of like the love child of The Twilight Zone and The X-Files. Every episode has layers and layers of philosophical questions you can't really answer and some of the plot twists are actually unexpected for a change.

In the Streaming thread, some of us were talking about the first episode of the show, and it's traumatizing, but what I find interesting (spoilers): Is at what point could it be OK for a person not to give up their dignity to save another person? Clearly the Princess is a cross between Kate and Diana, and you'd expect the PM to do the gentlemanly thing, and the patriotic thing, and he does, but it feels like the incident doesn't really change the Princess. And then you think, on top of that, you think not only is the premise gross, but the PM is raping an animal on live television. How do you go back from that? And then you get the real kicker at the end, but I could totally see something like this playing out over the next 50 or less years. And it's really about caste systems being alive and well in the 21st century. Some animals are more equal than other animals.

The very last episode was great, too. It had Kelly MacDonald and The Waif from GoT and it was a mind fuck that I could also see happening IRL. That one is less about humiliation than consequences (which is the theme), but it's also got this sub-story about bees going extinct and governments conspiring to use those sort of ecological crises to their own benefit.

I could probably write an essay on every single episode, but I will refrain.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

It's very inventive. I thought the first series was hit-and-miss but it's been excellent since and every episode builds tension really effectively. White Bear has been the best episode IMO.
    in21derland and Waterslide like this.

I liked White Bear a lot, too. It's very futuristic in terms of tech, but the vigilante bloodlust is not really different than medieval justice. (Plus Tuppence Middleton is in it and I like her so much on Sense8.)

The other one that sticks out in my mind, and skeeves me out, is Shut Up and Dance, but probably because I went through a phase where I was listening to Dark Net stories on YouTube. Spoiler: But in this case, the shadowy Dark Net isn't the evil.
    Last edited by Waterslide; January 8th, 2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: I don't know my colors.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Elite Member

Just started this last night. Watched the first two episodes. Both depressing as shit.

The thing with the pig. How disturbing but it seemed somewhat realistic. Although I don't know if we have any politicians that would be willing to do the deed to save someone else.

The most disturbing thing about that episode is how many people watched. It's a sad commentary on our society for sure.

I wondered about that, too -- what politicians would actually go through with it? And it's sort of a unique situation with it being set in the UK, since he's saving a darling of the royal family. I think most governments would get away with not going through with it by giving the old, "We don't negotiate with terrorists" line.

I also thought it was very realistic, and it kind of turned my stomach, at how many people seemed to have a perverse excitement about watching it, but then after the fact, seemed ashamed and sickened. I thought that was very human.
    panic likes this.
    ~Manx Mouse

SPOILER for season 1 , episode 1.

so what say you? (not you necessarily, waterslide, anyone.) if someone were to be killed by terrorists, whether it's someone you love or a total stranger, would you fuck a pig on tv to save that person?

SPOILER for episode 3 of season 1 - The Entire History of You:

that was insane, it would drive me insane to be grained like that. so funny how when the girl called the cops she told them she didn't have a grain feed, meaning they asked to see her grain feed so they could see what happened. so weird, i wouldn't want to live in that society where people can just throw their memories up on a wall and watch them. interesting how that wife was caught because she was implicated in a memory of someone else's, not even her own.
    Last edited by panic; January 17th, 2017 at 05:28 PM.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

I thought overall the show was great and some of the episodes really messed with me; shut up and dance the most.
    panic likes this.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

Re: S1E1 plot, my hang-up was exactly that no politician would actually go through with it IRL, Princess Diana/Kate would just meet a tragic end, simple as that. It just wasn't believable to me. Now if it had been his daughter or wife, ok I could buy that.

But I think what bothered me most is that it's true the public would totally be rubberneckers at the gore. I mean, we've proven it, and yes it's going to get worse. It really pisses me off to see it in action, even if I know it's just a show. I rage at it IRL too, when rubberneckers cause huge traffic backups just to gawk at an accident. I don't have that compulsion to stare at things I know will be gory and disturbing, so I don't understand and I don't like seeing it in others. I think it's a complete lack of restraint/self-awareness about the consequences of those actions.

Thread Information