Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By HWBL
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet

Thread: "Sun Records" Mini-Series on CMT

Default "Sun Records" Mini-Series on CMT

CMT Announces New Sam Phillips Series 'Sun Records'

Original production, based on the musical 'Million Dollar Quartet,' will premiere February 23rd
    Chad Michael Murray stars as producer Sam Phillips in the new CMT series 'Sun Records.' Colin Escott/Michael Ochs Archives/Getty, Maarten de Boer/Getty

By Stephen L. Betts
    December 15, 2016
    CMT, the new home of the musical drama Nashville, has announced Sun Records, an original scripted series about the early days of rock & roll. The eight-part series debuts on the cable network Thursday, February 23rd.
    RELATED

PHOTOS: 25 Best Country Songs of 2016From Margo Price and Brandy Clark to Jon Pardi and Dierks Bentley

Based on the Tony Award-winning musical Million Dollar Quartet, about the historic recording sessions featuring Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and Carl Perkins, Sun Records focuses on Sun founder and producer Sam Phillips. Played by Chad Michael Murray (One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls), Phillips shapes the young musicians whose pioneering blend of country, R&B and blues gave rise to a cultural phenomenon still resonating 60 years after the quartet's one-off session on December 4th, 1956.
    The series also explores the influential sound created by artists including Muddy Waters, B.B. King, Fats Domino and Ike Turner, set against a backdrop of unprecedented political change and social unrest.
    Newcomer Drake Milligan stars as the young Presley, with Billy Gardell (Mike & Molly) as Presley's manager Colonel Tom Parker. Kevin Fonteyne plays Cash, along with Christian Lees as the piano-playing Lewis and Dustin Ingram as Perkins.
    Other cast members include Jonah Lees as Lewis' cousin, Reverend Jimmy Swaggart, Trevor Donovan as Eddy Arnold and Kerry Holliday as Ike Turner.
    CMT continues to expand its scripted series roster. Nashville's fifth season premiere is set for January 5th, while the second season of the Billy Ray Cyrus series Still the King is due this spring. A pilot for His Wives & Daughters, featuring Jane Seymour, Gail O'Grady and Jeff Kober, begins production this January, and a TV adaptation of the football-themed film Varsity Blues is also in the works.

CMT Announces New Sam Phillips Series 'Sun Records' - Rolling Stone

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Billy Gardell, (the guy who played Mike on "Mike and Molly") is playing Col. Tom Parker.

JazzyGirl likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I have not been sleeping and watched this one. Pretty good...maybe a bit over dramatic but I really have no knowledge of most of those involved besides their names (except for Elvis). I had no idea that Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Swaggart were cousins. I had no idea that Col. Tom Parker was from Amsterdam...and was a true conniving "carnie" type.

The actor who plays Jerry Lee is great, and the kid that plays Elvis is good as well. I'm enjoying the episodes that focus on those two more than anything. But quite the journey for Sun Records. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    I have not been sleeping and watched this one. Pretty good...maybe a bit over dramatic but I really have no knowledge of most of those involved besides their names (except for Elvis). I had no idea that Jerry Lee Lewis and Jimmy Swaggart were cousins. I had no idea that Col. Tom Parker was from Amsterdam...and was a true conniving "carnie" type.

The actor who plays Jerry Lee is great, and the kid that plays Elvis is good as well. I'm enjoying the episodes that focus on those two more than anything. But quite the journey for Sun Records. Very interesting.
    "Colonel" Tom Parker was really Andreas Cornelis (Dries) van Kuijk, from the town of Breda in the south of The Netherlands. Carnie, con artist, you name it. Saw Elvis as a product. One of the worst blood sucking "managers" in the history of showbiz.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I watch it to lust after Chad Michael Murray. I'm loving him as Sam Phillips!

I am so frustrated with On Demand. We are up to episode 8. In my menu episodes 3 and 7 are missing. (And I just clued a friend Into Feud and episode one is already gone. ).

So in the last episode, Carl Perkins comes into Sun Records and plays their original song Blue Suede Shoes. Wonder how it ends up an Elvis hit. Hopefully it will be revealed before the last episode.

Carl Perkins did it first. Then alot of other recorded it over the years.
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Carl Perkins did it first. Then alot of other recorded it over the years.
    Good to know. I figured it would become part of the storyline that Elvis recorded it first or something nefarious esp now that he is with Parker.

Thread Information