Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Westworld on HBO

Default Westworld on HBO

Am I the only one watching Westworld on HBO? It's really interesting. I have A LOT of questions. I feel like every time one question is answered, 5 more pop up.

I'm watching and I like it. I usually don't like westerns but the story is so far interesting.
    It's been renewed for another season, so I don't think we will have a lot of answers by the end of this one. I'll blame JJ Abrams.

I'm watching but haven't seen every episode. One of the most relevant shows on tv.

ETA - I finally caught up through Episode 7 last night and it's big reveal. I kind of find it improbable but it was a great twist and very poignant. Lots of great observations about AI and ethics.
    Last edited by MohandasKGanja; November 16th, 2016 at 01:00 PM.

after the first episode, i thought it sucked and wrote it off. then my unc mentioned he liked it so i tried to watch it again and it took this time. i liked it in spite of myself. the show kinda had me when the episode ended, when the screen turns black and the credits come on and you weren't expecting it to end right there. i couldn't believe i liked it. i'm not usually into stuff like this.
    "The wild, cruel beast is not behind the bars of the cage. He is in front of it."...Axel Munthe

So, I just read an internet theory on the man in black (Ed Harris): That Billy (Jimmy Simpson - aka Liam McPoyle) is a young version of Ed Harris.

As I haven't read any theories online it's just my husband and I - mostly him - bouncing ideas off each other. He figured out the timeline thing. We are wondering if that scene where Dolores goes underground and there's been a massacare if that's future or past?
    panic likes this.

I'm not sure. It is one of the most mind-bending series I have ever watched. You don't know who is who, or, more accurately, who is what. I would seriously need to diagram everything just to keep track of exactly what is going on. The fact that hosts get to live again and again - sometimes the same scenario, sometimes not - presents a problem in trying to figure out which character is in the past or present.
    panic likes this.

I'm on episode 4 and I'm finding it's kind of chore to watch, though I like the theory behind it. So I guess it picks up a little steam after that point?

Interesting about the Ed Harris theory.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I'm interested just for the story and for Anthony Hopkins, but I am like allergic to westerns. Just the setting is enough to keep me from trying it.

I don't like Evan Rachel Wood either.
    palta likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I have an incredibly hard time with Westerns, too. It's taken me decades to warm up to them at all and it's still the last thing I ever want to watch. It would be cool as a number of different time periods, but I guess that won't work with the title...

I'm also not much of a fan of ERW, but she is less annoying in this than she usually is, but she appears to be playing a robot (?), so maybe it's a good match for her normally wooden delivery.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I have an incredibly hard time with Westerns, too. It's taken me decades to warm up to them at all and it's still the last thing I ever want to watch. It would be cool as a number of different time periods, but I guess that won't work with the title...

I'm also not much of a fan of ERW, but she is less annoying in this than she usually is, but she appears to be playing a robot (?), so maybe it's a good match for her normally wooden delivery.
    Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I'm interested just for the story and for Anthony Hopkins, but I am like allergic to westerns. Just the setting is enough to keep me from trying it.

I don't like Evan Rachel Wood either.
    I've never liked westerns either, but I love this because it really is just a façade for the sci fi. I don't have an opinion on ERW, but I do remember her being a vampire on "True Blood". Her role in this show is very subtle, though, and she has done a terrific job. So has Thandie Newton. I think those two, along with Jeffrey Wright and Anthony Hopkins are going to get Emmy nominations for this series. Ed Harris is driving me nuts. It's not giving away much to say that his character is basically some kind of sadist, and even when he gets his ass kicked, he seems like he's enjoying it - there goes the revenge payoff.
    panic and Waterslide like this.

I think every actor on this show is brilliant, I started watching because everybdy kept telling me how good it was, but so far I just think it's kind of 'meh'
    It does raise ethical questions that are interesting, yes, but IMO the series 'real humans' did it more relevantly. I'm kind of unimpressed by this show.
    But I love the costumes
    panic and Waterslide like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

I loved the original film with Yul Brynner. How does this remake compare to the original?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    I think every actor on this show is brilliant, I started watching because everybdy kept telling me how good it was, but so far I just think it's kind of 'meh'
    It does raise ethical questions that are interesting, yes, but IMO the series 'real humans' did it more relevantly. I'm kind of unimpressed by this show.
    "Real Humans", the Swedish-language show? Where did you see it?

Westworld is averaging about 90% across both critics and viewers on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes.

Okay, did you guys watch the finale last night? Very interesting ending. I love all of the music they chose in the series, very telling. I need to go back and watch it again as I think I'll pick up on a lot of clues here and there.

I wasn't quite expecting Dolores to kill Ford the way she did. But, I think he (the character) was expecting it. I also think it's part social commentary to gun violence and violence in general. You have the entire board of Delos just sitting around watching violence and then participating in it, as if it's entertainment. These violent delights have violent ends. I didn't realize that was Shakespeare.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Okay, did you guys watch the finale last night? Very interesting ending. I love all of the music they chose in the series, very telling. I need to go back and watch it again as I think I'll pick up on a lot of clues here and there.

I wasn't quite expecting Dolores to kill Ford the way she did. But, I think he (the character) was expecting it. I also think it's part social commentary to gun violence and violence in general. You have the entire board of Delos just sitting around watching violence and then participating in it, as if it's entertainment. These violent delights have violent ends. I didn't realize that was Shakespeare.
    I watched the re-broadcast, which went on until about 2 am. I was pretty fried, but it was totally compelling. Resolving the timelines was one of the most difficult issues for me. Also, the who is Wyatt issue. And what were Bernard's intentions issue. It just goes on and on.
    panic likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information