Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Soaps

Bronze Member

Default Soaps

Dallas ... Dynasty ... Knots Landing.... they ve all been and gone

were they Americas Golden Age of soaps ?

Whats left ?
    The Young and the Restless
    The Bold and the Beautiful
    General Hospital
    Days of our Lives

Those were considered "Night Time Soaps".

Soap operas generally refer to dramas shown during the daytime. The shows the housewives watched when they stayed home all day cleaning house and doing laundry and raising kids.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Ok I will own my shit. I watch The Young and the Restless faithfully. My favourite soap ever was Santa Barbara. I was devastated when it was cancelled.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

i used to watch all soaps, including the nighttime ones.
    then ABC cancelled All My Children. I cut the cord.
    lindsaywhit likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Elite Member

I used to watch almost all of them as a teen during the summer. Passions, Days, Port Charles, General Hospital, One Life to Live, All My Children, CBS soaps were my least favorite.

Elite Member

I used to watch almost all of them as a teen during the summer. Passions, Days, Port Charles, General Hospital, One Life to Live, All My Children, CBS soaps were my least favorite.
    I still try to catch GH now and then.

Elite Member

My mom watched DOOL from its inception. I think she finally gave up the ghost about five years ago. We only watched it in the summer, but you really only needed to catch up every once in a while to get the general idea.

I got hooked on OLTL and GH in college.

Passions was top notch "on the treadmill at the gym with no volume" viewing.

I watched Guiding Light for years and years. My grandmother got me hooked on it as a child. Then I got into the sheer wackiness of Passions, and the "Nobody's watching us anyways, might as well go full tilt Dark Shadows" of later Port Charles episodes.

I don't watch any soaps now, there's really not much left to watch.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

I've been into all of them at some point and still am a faithful DOOL watcher.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Elite Member

I was into AMC and OLTL. I am still sad they're gone. Watched AMC since I was really young in the 70s. OLTL since the 80s. Such a bummer.

Dallas on Friday night was like my religion. A pint of Haagen Daz coffee at 9 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by maryk View Post

I still try to catch GH now and then.
    Don't even bother. GH is a subject I cannot write about. It gets ugly. Back in the day it was the 3 pm dash home after my last college class. Sitting two feet from the tv.

Quote Originally Posted by VeraGemini View Post
    I watched Guiding Light for years and years. My grandmother got me hooked on it as a child. Then I got into the sheer wackiness of Passions, and the "Nobody's watching us anyways, might as well go full tilt Dark Shadows" of later Port Charles episodes.

I don't watch any soaps now, there's really not much left to watch.
    I remember my grandma calling them "her shows". She had a housekeeper help her with the laundry. They'd watch The Secret Storm and Guiding Light, she'd fold and Alma would iron. So cute.

I never watched GL, but wasn't there a well known story line about a man and woman who had a very twisted relationship - okay, I just googled... Roger Thorpe raped his wife. It was about 7 months before
    L&L rape story. It was the first marital rape story. This stuff is on YT. I need to find the whole story and I'll get seriously hooked.

Did anyone here watch the British soaps for 20 years?
    VeraGemini likes this.

"Guiding Light" was THE soap to watch in the 80's. Beth Raines and Phillip Spaulding. Mindy Lewis and her drama. Reva and Josh! OMG!

I remember as a small child, there was this old lady who used to babysit me and she was GLUED to "Search for Tomorrow" and "The Edge of Night". Chain smoking the whole time.
    VeraGemini likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I remember my grandma calling them "her shows". She had a housekeeper help her with the laundry. They'd watch The Secret Storm and Guiding Light, she'd fold and Alma would iron. So cute.

I never watched GL, but wasn't there a well known story line about a man and woman who had a very twisted relationship - okay, I just googled... Roger Thorpe raped his wife. It was about 7 months before
    L&L rape story. It was the first marital rape story. This stuff is on YT. I need to find the whole story and I'll get seriously hooked.
    My grandma called them "her stories", too. She had listened to Guiding Light on the radio for years before it ever came to TV.

Roger Thorpe was a very complicated character, and one of the best soap opera villains ever, probably because the actor that played him - Michael Zaslow - was so good. GL did villains right, they also had Alan Spaulding, who was every bit as evil, just in a different way. Roger/Alan showdowns were EPIC. (Trivia: Michael Zaslow was the very first "redshirt" to die in the original Star Trek. He played the ensign who was killed by the salt vampire that was impersonating Dr McCoy's old girlfriend.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    "Guiding Light" was THE soap to watch in the 80's. Beth Raines and Phillip Spaulding. Mindy Lewis and her drama. Reva and Josh! OMG!

I remember as a small child, there was this old lady who used to babysit me and she was GLUED to "Search for Tomorrow" and "The Edge of Night". Chain smoking the whole time.
    I had such a crush on Lujack back in the 80s. I remember seeing the B52s do a guest appearance on GL back then, playing at Floyd's place (before Floyd went crazy). My grandmother had such a WTF expression on her face when that came on.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

i remember when Laura came back from where ever she was. Luke spotted her and they ran to each other. My mom was sick with cancer, but she was crying and clapping. It made me so happy.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I learned 2 languages by watching the dubbed versions of the Bold and Beautiful.
    Bluebonnet and sprynkles like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information