Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By faithanne

Thread: Wolf Hall

Elite Member

Default Wolf Hall

Are anyone watching Wolf Hall? It's a 4 episode mini series about Henry VIII and Ann Boleyn seen from the perspective of Thomas Cromwell played eminently by Mark Rylance. I think it's great, I've always been fascinated by this time in history - so many religious, political and human conflicts.

So, if you have an affinity for history and/or men in tights, I heartedly recommend Wolf Hall.

Elite Member

Ok, I'm obsessed with this show, watching the 3rd episode. The costumes, direction, acting, story are all so good. My only problem with it is, that Anne Boleyn is being portrayed as a vindictive, power hungry, little bitch (much like Marie Antoinette is often portrayed). She was a pawn in her family's quest for power, sure, but I also think she grew with the situation and became a power player herself. I hope that is shown later on.

I started watching this months ago but for some reason I didn't continue with it. Now I've just watched episodes 3-5 and I'm peeved I have to go out so I can't watch the final tonight. It's such a brilliant show and I can't put my finger on quite what makes it so great. I think Mark Rylance is perfectly cast and for such a small, humble man he's a complete badass. My favourite scene so far is when Crom interrupted Meg More's Greek lesson and her father told her that Cromwell was the devil, then paused and they all laughed.

i get what you mean about Anne but while she's not unsympathetic she's quite petty which seems believable to me. Henry is a douche though.
    idunno likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

A*O

Mark Rylance is superb as Cromwell. Anne Boleyn is portrayed pretty accurately I think, she overplayed her hand by not giving Henry the son and heir he so desperately wanted and needed. But she did give us queen Elizabeth I so she left her mark. She was totally set up with accusations of incest, etc, to justify her execution so Henry could marry Jane Seymour, another dynastic pawn, who finally produced a sickly son.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information