Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: E! Cancels "The Soup" After 22 Years

Default E! Cancels "The Soup" After 22 Years

It's a funny show, but I haven't sat down to look at it in three years. Poor Joel, he can be funny sometimes. Hope he finds another gig.

The Soup
    is nearing The End.
    E! announced this morning its weekly series skewering pop culture would bow out on December 18, ending the franchise’s 22 year run.
    The show premiered in ’91 as Talk Soup and launched the career of original host Greg Kinnear, who hosted until ’95. He was followed by John Henson (995–1999), Hal Sparks (1999–2000) and Aisha Tyler (2001–2002). It was re-Launched as The Soup in 2004 with current host Joel McHale. The series earned a 2014 Emmy Nomination for Outstanding Short-Format Live-Action Entertainment Program’
    From E!’s announcement:

As E! counts down to the final episode on December 18 at 10pm ET/PT, Joel McHale will continue to host new episodes that bring viewers the best of the worst in pop culture and look back at some of the series’ most memorable moments from the past 22 years. New episodes will air Fridays at 10m ET/PT until McHale signs off for the last time and fans say good-bye to the most infamous green screen in TV history, along with the characters that appeared in front of it, including Mankini, Lou the Chihuahua, and of course, the floating talk show heads in the notorious “Chat Stew” graphic.
    “We are incredibly proud of the long-running success of ‘The Soup,” said Jeff Olde, EVP of Programming & Development for E! “‘The Soup’ has delivered countless laughs and unforgettable episodes, and we are grateful to the talented team’s fearless wit and clever approach week after week. Joel took the show to new heights for more than a decade, and his irreverent humor and unique brand of comedy as captured so perfectly on ‘The Soup’ will be missed.”
    Over its 22-year history, “Talk Soup” and “The Soup” have welcomed some of the most celebrated actors and singers as well as some incredibly desperate X-listers to stand in front of its jolly green screen and poke fun at the most ridiculous moments in television. Stars and “stars” that have stopped by include Norman Reedus, Yvette Nicole Brown, Patrick Warburton, Alison Brie, Seth Green, Lucy Lawless, Chris Hardwick, Wendi McLendon-Covey, Ken Jeong, RuPaul, Steven Yeun, Joe Manganiello, Wendy Williams, Simon Pegg, Jon Cryer, Joe Jonas, Kal Penn, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Adam Scott, Aaron Paul, Gabourey Sidibe, Larry King, Kelly Ripa, Allison Janney, Adam DeVine, Johnny Weir, Danny Trejo, Jeff Probst, James Corden, Adam Pally, Jane Lynch, Marilyn Manson, Jon Heder, Tyra Banks, Martha Stewart, Nene Leaks, Nancy Grace, Zachary Quinto, George Takei, Chevy Chase, Sean Combs, Evan Rachel Wood, Eminem, Demi Lovato, Sarah Hyland, Jake Pavelka, Katey Sagal, Mayim Bialik, Katie Lee Gifford, Ana Gasteyer, Tyrese Gibson, Anderson Cooper, Andy Cohen, Kylie Minogue, Kristin Davis, Shaquille O’Neal, Joan Rivers, Jack Black, Eli Roth, Busy Philipps, Jaime Pressly, Lea DeLaria, WWE Superstar The Miz … and Carrot Top.
    Join Joel McHale as E! celebrates the long-running series with new episodes on Fridays at 10pm and the series finale of “The Soup” on December 18 at 10pm ET/PT. “The Soup” is produced by Wilshire Studios with Joel McHale, KP Anderson and Ed Boyd serving as Executive Producers.

The End For ‘The Soup’ Says E!
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I thought it lost something after John Henson's grandson gave up hosting duties....
    BITTER and panic like this.

I'm fucking pissed. It is still a good show and I love Joel McHale. I guess they are making room for more Lardashian shows and SATC reruns.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    I'm fucking pissed. It is still a good show and I love Joel McHale. I guess they are making room for more Lardashian shows and SATC reruns.
    I LOVE Joel McHale! He hates the Kardashians and never hesitated to make fun of them. On FB yesterday, someone posted "Who is going to make fun of the Kardashians now?" and The Soup replied "Anyone in the free world with a brain." or something to that effect! LOL!
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Aww this is sad, I've watched this since it was talk soup. Hope Joel goes on to bigger and better things.
    panic and BITTER like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Hasn't his sitcom moved over to online television?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I think it is done now too but he is going to be on the new episodes of the X Files!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Elite Member

I haven't watched this since it was Talk Soup with Greg Kinnear!
    Bellatheball likes this.

Hal Sparks was the worst of the hosts; I think McHale and Henson were the best.

This is sad - and they're wrapping it up so quickly it seems, but I can't say that I'm surprised. The past month has had some pretty horrible episodes including one at a NASCAR track and last week's (or it might have been the week before) was such a mess we didn't even keep watching it. It was some kind of Real Housewives focused episode.

I'm on Team Henson also, it might be just because he was hosting when I first got into the show, but he was my favorite out of the later bunch.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I thought that Henson had left for bigger and better things; he disappeared after leaving the show...

Yeah not sure what happened to Henson, but he was my all-time fave!!
    They used to just kill me when he and his sidekick would riff off of his skunk spot.
    There was one episode that must have been on 4th of July or something b/c he was dressed as George Washington, but his powdered wig had a black rectangle on it....to represent the inverse of his natural skunk spot. It was so meta.
    BITTER likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

i used to watch it all the time. but it started including every show on television. It got too scattered for me.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Who could forget this?

gas_chick likes this.

I can tell you what happened to Henson. He played Austin's dad on "Austin & Allie". If you don't know what "Austin & Allie" is, it means you don't have preteens.

While I thought Henson was the best "Soup" host, my second favorite was the awesomely beautiful and smart Aisha Tyler:

Last edited by MohandasKGanja; November 24th, 2015 at 08:48 PM.
    Lalasnake, ManxMouse and BITTER like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information