Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: I hate Downton Abbey with the intensity of a 1,000 burning suns *SPOILERS*

Elite Member

Default I hate Downton Abbey with the intensity of a 1,000 burning suns *SPOILERS*

Well, not really, but I just don't like it. Surely I'm not the only one. Don't get me wrong - the acting, the direction, the costumes etc. are perfect. And no one does haughty derision quite like the dowager. But the writing is just bad and downright lazy.

Apparantly they liked the storyline of Mr. Bates being accused of murder so much they repeted it with Mrs. Bates. Same thing with Mary's fertility issues - a storyline so good they are now recycling it with Mrs. Bates. Poor Batesey, she gets all the hand-me-down storylines.

There were two WTF moments that made me go from watching to hate-watching the show. 1) One of the kitchen maids (Daisy) going on a father-daughter picnic to discuss her unrequited love for Alfred. Call me cynical, but I just don't think a lot of fathers (from working class dysfunctional homes, no less) got involved in their daughters' lovelives in the 1920s. 2) Patrick Crawley's "did he or didn't he survive with memory loss and horrible burns"-storyline. That's just straight out of The Young and the Restless.

It's a shame too. I think this show had potential to be a multi generational show going all the way through WWII, to 60s swinging London, and even further. All they had to do was hire new writers. The ones they have on the show today are clearly out of ideas.

Elite Member

I just hate-watched the latest episode of Downton over the weekend - the episode with Carson and Mrs. Hughes' wedding. It redeemed itself slightly by Cora finally losing her temper and being inconsiderate towards Daisy.

But it also reminded me of another reason why I dislike the show: Everyone seem to be emotionally immature and unsure about sex. But anyone growing up in a farm county like Yorkshire knows all about sex, even if they didn't talk about it openly.

Gosford Park (one of my favourite films) was just so much better at describing the upstairs-downstairs dynamic, and the characters were more complex and interesting. Even the old tv series Upstairs, Downstairs from the 70s and its remake from 2010 are better than Downton, IMO. I guess I'll remain alone in my dislike of Downton.
    olivia likes this.

Elite Member

You are very cute idunno .

i have to admit to having zero interest in it.. the costumes and surroundings look beautiful, but i don't think i could sit through an episode.
    idunno likes this.

Elite Member

*blushes* Aw shucks, you're cute too, Wookie.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I Quit at season 3.

You are not alone, idunno. I don't like this show either.
    I liked Mr Bates for about five minutes but his storylines are lame and repetitive. And now with his wife, the same. They are always the poor victims and everyone is out to get them.
    This season is getting boring too. In the previous ones they featured stories that ended at the end of every episode, but now they drag on forever and left unresolved (the Hospital, Mr Barrow and Andy, Marigold, Daisy's test).
    idunno likes this.

Elite Member

I quit watching after Matthew (is that his name?) died. I never bought into the idea that the families on these great estates were so chummy with their servants. Individually, sure, but collectively the classes had their interactions ruled by strict codes of the day.

Gosford Park is MUCH better at showing the invisible walls that existed between all the castes on those working estates. LOVE that movie.
    idunno likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

A*O

Agree. Gosford Park is much better. I abandoned Downton after Matthew died too.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Never watched more than a scene here and there. To me it was just a period soap opera.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I had no idea it started but I've been looking for it. I like it.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

Quote Originally Posted by idunno View Post
    I just hate-watched the latest episode of Downton over the weekend - the episode with Carson and Mrs. Hughes' wedding. It redeemed itself slightly by Cora finally losing her temper and being inconsiderate towards Daisy.

But it also reminded me of another reason why I dislike the show: Everyone seem to be emotionally immature and unsure about sex. But anyone growing up in a farm county like Yorkshire knows all about sex, even if they didn't talk about it openly.

Gosford Park (one of my favourite films) was just so much better at describing the upstairs-downstairs dynamic, and the characters were more complex and interesting. Even the old tv series Upstairs, Downstairs from the 70s and its remake from 2010 are better than Downton, IMO. I guess I'll remain alone in my dislike of Downton.
    Bwahahhaha! Right ok then. My ex-husband is 11 mths younger than his brother. His perents arw farmers. Nuff said.
    Free Charmed.

Bronze Member

I don't hate Downton Abbey but it has run it's course and it's time to end.

I've been hate watching it the entire time, well I say watching, I'm usually doing about three other things at the same time.

The final episode looks like Edith finally gives it to that hatchet faced, pole up her bum sister...I fucking hope so anyway!
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Elite Member

This week's episode was so bad, I couldn't even hate watch it to the end, but the promise of Edith finally telling Mary to shove it, will make me keep watching.

Hate the show more than ever, yet like a dick I'll still sit through the Christmas special in the hope that Mary dies a painful death - at this point that's the only remotely satisfying conclusion..
    idunno, palta and Beeyotch like this.
    Who lit the fuse on your tampon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information