Thread: Suddenly Royal TLC channel - Mechanic discovers he's an heir to Isle of Man

Default Suddenly Royal TLC channel - Mechanic discovers he's an heir to Isle of Man

I'm actually going to watch this tonight. Sounds like fun.
    Auto Repair Advisor-Turned-Royal Heir David Drew Howe: 'I'm Just a Regular Dude

David Drew Howe may have been born into a working class family but after researching his ancestry online the auto repair advisor got quite a surprise when he discovered he was heir to the British Isle of Man throne.

"Life has changed a little bit in that I have a few more options than I did before but I'm still just a regular dude," Howe tells PEOPLE.

"I'm just not so anonymous anymore."

In a clip for TLC's new series Suddenly Royal, in which Howe stars alongside his wife, Pam, and their 12-year-old daughter Grace, the family is less than impressed with their modest new digs after traveling 3,000 miles to Isle of Man.
    But, after settling in, the newcomers' welcome was mostly warm.
    "The only downside seems to be the few people that judge us without really knowing us," adds Howe. "I guess that comes with the royal territory, but we're really just regular people, a regular family, living in a slightly extraordinary life I guess." And the biggest perk of being an heir?

"Having something to pass to my daughter and future generations," says Howe. "I want her to have her interests and her life, but I'm going to hold and preserve this for her until the eventual time it becomes her turn."

TLC's Suddenly Royal Star: I'm Just A Regular Dude : People.com

fgg

TLC's 'Suddenly Royal'
    British Subjects Rise Up
    Against Would-Be TLC King

David Drew Howe -- the Maryland man/TLC reality star who claims he's a direct descendant of the family that once ruled the Isle of Man -- is having trouble getting allegiance from his subjects.

TLC's "Suddenly Royal" premiered this week, chronicling the journey of Howe and family as they spend 6 weeks in the self-governing British island, trying to gain control based on his lineage.

The local parliament is scoffing British style, saying Howe "is not to be taken seriously." The spokesperson added, "the Head of State of the Isle of Man is and remains Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II."

Howe says he has legal claim to the throne because he placed an official notice in the London Gazette, claiming his rule and no one objected. He doesn't want to oust the Queen, but he wants the title and the perks.

On the surface the locals think Howe's a doofus, but we're told on another level they're happy the show is bringing attention, and hopefully tourists, to the island.

Read more: Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com

chalet - did you watch it? i was revolted by the promos but that's just me.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

I started to do something when it came on and I forgot. I wanted to see the interior decoration in the castle much more than the king, lol.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Oh I've got to tell my adopted dad about this! He's a Manxman and they are very proud of their island and heritage. They also don't appreciate 'incomers' trying to act as though they own the place because they have a name or money. If you go and get on with life as an ordinary person would and don't expect special treatment then you'll be fine and welcomed (like the late Norman Wisdom, who I saw doing his own shopping in the local Tesco over there), but if you try to be the big man like ex racing driver Nigel Mansell or that twat Jeremy Clarkson...

I'm really going to have to get over there again for a break. It's been far too long.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    I started to do something when it came on and I forgot. I wanted to see the interior decoration in the castle much more than the king, lol.
    I watched a bit of the premiere episode, and they didn't make it to the castle. They were met on the property by the owner of the actual castle, and their accomodations ended up being a small, average home right next door to the horse stables. There was no food in the house other than a bowl of fruit, only one bedroom, and unless they were willing to walk to town, no way to get food (they also had no phone signal).

Thread Information