Thread: "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" a racist movie?

Bronze Member

Default "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" a racist movie?

The Movieguide.org publisher said Will Ferrell's "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" is "a racist, bigoted work that ridicules the Bible Belt, Southern white men, Christianity, Jesus Christ, the family, and American masculinity."

Baehr said the lead character's mocking prayer to baby Jesus shows anti-Christian bigotry and wonders why Hollywood isn't treating Will Ferrell like it's treated Mel Gibson, who has apologized for his anti-Semitic outburst.

"Don't count on Hollywood (or the news media, for that matter) to condemn and denounce Will Ferrell and his partner, writer and director Adam McKay. And, don't expect any self-righteous liberals to get on their soapbox and say that they will never work with Farrell or McKay, or see one of their movies," Baehr said in his review.

He said that "Talladega Nights" is one of the most "blasphemous, politically correct major movies ever released by a major Hollywood studio."

He continued his rant, saying that Hollywood and the mainstream media stood by silently while Dan Brown and Ron Howard mocked Christian beliefs and Roman Catholic leaders in "The Da Vinci Code" and when Martin Scorsese claimed in "The Last Temptation of Christ" that Jesus was a "mixed-up" and "weak-minded" wimp.

On its Web site, Movieguide describes itself as:
    • ..."a ministry dedicated to redeeming the values of the mass media according to biblical principles, by influencing entertainment industry executives and helping families make wise media choices.

"Talladega Nights" tells the tale of Ricky Bobby, a man who was born when his Daddy was racing his Ma to the hospital and got so carried away by speed that a quick slam on the brakes is all it took to pop little Ricky out, according to WESH.com reviewer Deb Scott. His Daddy takes a powder shortly after he is born, and as a result, Ricky grows up with a hero worship complex and the need for speed.

An emergency at a racetrack where he works pushes Ricky behind the wheel of a NASCAR vehicle in the middle of a race and everything just clicks, including a phrase his drunken Daddy once said to him -- "If you ain't first, you're last." So begins the raucous rise and fall of Ricky Bobby.

Meanwhile, actor John C. Reilly said he had no idea NASCAR was so popular until he made "Talladega Nights."

He was surprised to hear that some fans camp out for days before a race and turn it into an event. Reilly used to wonder why anyone would watch cars race in a circle, but now he said he knows "there's so much more going on than that."

"Talladega Nights" Races Into First Place

"Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" claimed the checkered flag this weekend with a No. 1 finish at the box office.

According to studio estimates, the movie sped away with a cool $47 million.

Rory Bruer, president of distribution for Sony Pictures Entertainment, said the combination of Ferrell and NASCAR was sure to be a crowd pleaser.

Also entering the box office race with a surprising debut was the animated movie, "Barnyard: The Original Party Animals," which came in second.

The NASCAR parody made its big-screen debut in Talladega on Thursday with a free screening a day before it officially opened nationwide.
    White People- reduced from 1/4 of the world population in 1960 to 1/6 today and projected to be 1/10 by 2050.

Zee

Default Re: "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" a racist movie?

Don't go to movies to be politically correct. This looks funny. Watching the trailer during Garfield 2 made that movie more bearable.

Anybody see it yet?
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I saw it saturday...it is sooo funny!!!! Will Ferrell is great but his 'kids' are very funny!!!

It was hysterical in an imbecilic way. I haven't heard of any other complaints, Baehr needs to lighten up!

Where's the blasphemous part?

I read something about the characters arguing over whether to pray to the adult Jesus or the baby Jesus. Big whoop.

I have a feeling that this movie has nothing on Madonna.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I haven't seen this movie, but lemme get this straight. This guy is stating that Will Ferrell and any projects involving him should be boycotted in the same manner as has been suggested by some for Mel Gibson? Because Will Ferrell was ACTING in a comedic role where Xtianity was (in his opinion) mocked, even though we're not talking about outright bigoted slurs. What a fucking idiot. Hey moron, learn the difference between real-life and make believe! At least when it comes to movies vs reality. But I guess since we're talking about someone who already believes in grandiose stories written by dead humans it's a tad more difficult. Guess what? Mel Gibson didn't really kill all those people in his movies! It was...to quote Master Thespian...ACTING!
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I think the claim is that the movie portrays "Southern Men" (per se) as stupid. Shit, I think it's funny. This guy should invest in a sense of humor and have a proctologist pull that huge stick out of his ass!

Quote Originally Posted by PaperDoll View Post
    I saw it saturday...it is sooo funny!!!! Will Ferrell is great but his 'kids' are very funny!!!
    Walker and Texas Ranger???
    Last edited by Mel1973; August 9th, 2006 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus!

yeah i saw this article yesterday - kinda ridiculous. it's a movie!! i saw it last friday and it was hilarious. almost better than the anchorman, dare i say. good times had by all.

how is making fun of baby Jesus racist?

I saw the movie and it was hilarious!! Geez, it's just a movie. People just need to STFU! (As my avatar states)
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Thread Information