Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: The Astronaut Wives Club (Starting in June on ABC)

Default The Astronaut Wives Club (Starting in June on ABC)

ABC’s The Astronaut Wives Club: The Story of the Women Behind the First Astronauts

The race for space was fought in high heels? Can you fight a race? *sigh*

by Teresa Jusino

I want to like this show. I really do. The Astronaut Wives Club is an upcoming limited event television seriesbased
    on the book of the same name by Lily Koppel, and it tells the story of
    the wives of the first astronauts: the celebrity they navigated, the
    secrets they kept, the lives they and their husbands lived. That’s all
    stuff I’m very interested in. Also, period costumes. Also, female leads.
    Also-also, an element of soapiness that isn’t often associated with the
    lives of astronauts (we forget that at one time, astronauts and pilots
    were pretty much rock stars).

That all seems pretty cool, right?

But maybe the soapiness is too soapy? And that tagline: The race for space was fought in high heels.
    GROAN. I mean, you can’t fight a race. You can run one, though. And is
    that really the message of the show? Women contributed by looking super-cute. I mean, at the time, it’s likely that was important, but is that the message of the show? I just…I dunno.

What do you think? Will you be watching The Astronaut Wives Club when it premieres June 18?

http://www.themarysue.com/astronaut-wives-club-trailer/

Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

So is it a mini-series or a regular TV show? If its a mini I will check it out, but not if its a regular full-season show.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm not sure. It looks entertaining and you know how it is in the summer; there's shit on TV. I just think ABC, is once again trying to milk the whole Mad Men 1960's thing. (They tried it 4 years ago with that show Pan Am, remember?)

I always thought the astronaut wives and the stress they went through were pretty well portrayed in the 1983 movie, The Right Stuff.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

That reminded me! I wanted to read that book! The show might be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    I'm not sure. It looks entertaining and you know how it is in the summer; there's shit on TV. I just think ABC, is once again trying to milk the whole Mad Men 1960's thing. (They tried it 4 years ago with that show Pan Am, remember?)

I always thought the astronaut wives and the stress they went through were pretty well portrayed in the 1983 movie, The Right Stuff.
    The Right Stuff. Thank you, I was trying to remember the name of that movie yesterday when I read the synopsis.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Funny, I'd have thought the race to space was fought with slide rules and Ph.D.s. Silly me!
    I'mNotBitter likes this.

I will probably watch this.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I'll check it out. "The Right Stuff" is one of my favorite movies.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i'll be smack in the middle of my meltdown from Mad Men being over, so i'll probably watch it.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Anyone recall the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon? I think it was a Spielberg/Tom hanks project. ( or maybe Hanks / Ron Howard?). I believe one episode was dedicated to wives, of course the details escape me. I would love to see,that series again.

The Right Stuff did a fantastic job of showing the wives lives. Apollo 13 did a pretty good job as well.
    Brookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Anyone recall the HBO series From the Earth to the Moon? I think it was a Spielberg/Tom hanks project. ( or maybe Hanks / Ron Howard?). I believe one episode was dedicated to wives, of course the details escape me. I would love to see,that series again.

The Right Stuff did a fantastic job of showing the wives lives. Apollo 13 did a pretty good job as well.
    ^^ all of this^^^^ I LOVED From the Earth to the Moon! I rented it on Netflix several years ago and watched the entire thing.

I remember in The Right Stuff, John Glen's wife, Annie, was protrayed as having a speech impediment (I don't know if she did in real life...will have to Google) and he was very, very protective of her with the media. That scene where LBJ wanted to interview her was great as she was refusing to meet with him (LBJ) and he was appalled!
    JazzyGirl likes this.

And remember when the capsule took on water and was lost at sea and the astronaut was 'shamed' , the wife was very upset that they didn't get to meet Jackie, and they received a less than stellar reward trip. Excellent movie. Now I want to see them again.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

The original movie trailer for The Right Stuff:

I can't believe I've never seen that movie, especially since I am from Clear Lake.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    LeAnn looks like she was born down wind from an outhouse.

I am looking forward to this tomorrow night.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information