Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: NBC is bringing back college football sitcom 'Coach'

Default NBC is bringing back college football sitcom 'Coach'

I loved this show. I'll never forget the episode when Coach and Christine were getting married and she fell from the stairs, grabbed the chandelier, and landed on top of the cake, breaking the table. LOL

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...160839586.html

NBC is bringing back college football sitcom 'Coach'
    By Graham Watson 9 hours ago

Minnesota State Screaming Eagles’ fans rejoice, America’s favorite fictional college football program is coming back to television.

The sitcom Coach, which starred Craig T. Nelson as coach Hayden Fox, is getting a reboot. NBC has picked up 13 episodes of the popular college football comedy. There is no announced premiere date.

And we couldn’t be more excited. Well, those of us on the Dr. Saturday staff old enough to remember and appreciate the show.

The original series aired for nine seasons from 1987-1997 on ABC. Fox was the coach of Division I-A’s Minnesota State University Screaming Eagles (and the final two seasons as the coach of the NFL’s Orlando Breakers). He had two lovable but bumbling assistant coaches in Luther Van Dam, who was played by Jerry Van Dyke (remarkably, still alive), and Michael “Dauber” Dybinkski, who was played by Bill Fagerbakke. The show also starred Shelly Fabares as Fox’s wife Christine Armstrong.

Nelson actually won an Emmy for his role as Fox in 1992.

The reboot will take place 18 years after Fox left Minnesota State, which is pretty much on schedule. Fox (once again played by Nelson) will return to the sidelines to help his grown son, who is coaching an Ivy League program in Pennsylvania that is just starting a football team.

Those Coach diehards will remember that the series concluded with Fox and Christine adopting a child after they were unable to conceive.

As of right now, Nelson is the only returning cast member from the original series.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Parts of that show were filmed in Iowa City and it was modeled after the famous Iowa coach, Hayden Fry. Still cracks me up.
    sluce and louiswinthorpe111 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    As of right now, Nelson is the only returning cast member from the original series.
    I don't know what the rest of them are doing that they can't jump right on it, too. I liked this show a lot. It had a lot of genuinely funny moments, especially early on.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I remember really liking that show. I hope they can capture the same feeling the original had and not just some shmucky version.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    I don't know what the rest of them are doing that they can't jump right on it, too. I liked this show a lot. It had a lot of genuinely funny moments, especially early on.
    Well Bill Fagerbakke is Patrick Star. So he has a job lol.
    gas_chick likes this.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

I really liked that show, though dislike reboots and re-makes. Think Craig T. Nelson is a great actor.

Yeah Dober (sp?) is making money hand over fist on SpongeBob. I think Christine is really sick. I've seen pics of her and she looks twice her age.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Omg...is Dauber, Patrick? Can't believe I never realized that before now....it is so obvious. lol

The show was okay in the past, and I watched it here and there over the years. I do really like Craig as an actor, so I would give it a shot. I tried to ignore the Hawkeye connection...

I loved the old show, but I can't see this being much of a new show without all the same folks.

Their "office" was my dorm! I watch it just for that!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I liked the show a lot as well, but the new version sounds like a loser. Jerry van Dyke is 83 yrs old so I don't see him coming back, I saw an interview with Shelley a few yrs back sharing her experience with autoimmune hepatitis and had a liver transplant and was doing well, but she's 71 and a sitcom could be too much for her. It will be nice to see Nelson again though.

I watched the show but I never thought of it as a classic. Seems strange to bring it back. I'd rather just watch reruns of the original show.

I wonder if they'll try to make the new version more realistic by having at least half the team be rapists?
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Yeah Dober (sp?) is making money hand over fist on SpongeBob.
    He was also Marshall's dad on How I Met Your Mother.
    JazzyGirl and holly like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by emkat View Post
    Well Bill Fagerbakke is Patrick Star. So he has a job lol.
    I had no idea he was Patrick. He's always been Tom Cullen from The Stand to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information