Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: "Whitney" on Lifetime

Default "Whitney" on Lifetime

This premiered last night. Did anyone watch it?

Well there you have it folks!
    Despite plenty of skepticism from die-hard fans and even attacks from Whitney Houston's extended family, Lifetime finally debuted their film about the "I Will Always Love You" singer Saturday night.
    While there were certainly plenty of sassy and snarky comments online, the average viewer appeared to be pleasantly surprised by the work of executive producer Angela Bassett and actress Yaya DaCosta. You can breathe now, ladies.
    "There was a pressure to keep it real and not be offensive," DaCosta shared with E! News before the big premiere. "This is a real person who really lived that everybody knows and loves."
    So how did the team do? Take a look at some of the honest tweets from celebrities and viewers below and let us know your thoughts by commenting below!
    PHOTOS: Whitney Houston's greatest performances

Jack Zeman/Lifetime 2014

Whitney Houston's Lifetime Movie Premieres: Amber Riley, Kathy Griffin, Sherri Shepherd and More Fans React | E! Online
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I didn't watch it - I was out at dinner with a good friend.

Will it be coming back on?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

That child cannot act and she over sang the damn songs!!! It was uncalled for and not needed!! I really think it should have been the "Whitney: according to Bobby Brown!!!!" I can't even name how many times they states he wasn't on drugs and he took care of his kids!! I Remember the stories of Whitney paying his child support!!!
    msdeb and rollo like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I didn't watch it - I was out at dinner with a good friend.

Will it be coming back on?
    I didn't see it either but it's Lifetime so I'm sure you'll have several more chances--my tv listings show it's on again tonight at 7 pm Central, followed by something called "Whitney: Beyond the Headlines" and then a rinse and repeat of the two shows.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

It should have been The Bobby Brown story. wayyyyy too much about him.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

This movie is all kinds of bad. I'm sorry but shame on Angela!!! She didn't do Whit's story any kind of justice.
    *DIVA! likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    That child cannot act and she over sang the damn songs!!! It was uncalled for and not needed!! I really think it should have been the "Whitney: according to Bobby Brown!!!!" I can't even name how many times they states he wasn't on drugs and he took care of his kids!! I Remember the stories of Whitney paying his child support!!!
    Whaaat? I don't know whatchoo're talking about. That's exactly how I sang them into my mirror in 1987.

But for real, they didn't use the real Whitney's recordings, did they? I wonder why--royalties? I don't know how that all works but I would have liked to hear her real voice for the songs.
    *DIVA! and msdeb like this.

I wonder what chalet thought of it.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Deborah Cox supplied the vocals. and Yaya is lovely. I was impressed by that at least. But the film as a whole lacked structure and focus. Why not start from the beginning? This should have been called Whitney AND Bobby...

I didn't bother to watch but I'll say that maybe it evens out all the shitty press Booobbay has gotten through the years. You know the stuff that he hooked her on drugs and her death is basically his fault which is all bullshit anyway.
    Bluebonnet and BITTER like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Granted, I couldn't sit through the entire shitfest but from the bits I watched they definitely didn't give Whitney credit for getting herself into all the drugs she did. I only saw her do coke once and I was like, bitch please, everybody knows you did more than that tiny sniff when you were sad Bobby left. Maybe I should have kept watching, but it just wasn't that good. What I watched was a simplified, sanitized love story between Bobby and Whitney.
    BITTER likes this.

I echo all of your sentiments. Oddly enough though, this made "Bobbay!" a more sympathetic character to me.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I just don't find Bobby to be the bad guy at all. Even back to Being Bobby Brown, Whitney seemed like a handful. He was always kinder to the general public, took better care of the kids. I felt sympathetic to him at that time.

On BBB, I never expected to see Whitney as she presented herself. Farting at the dinner table, Doody Bubbles etc. her wigs all whack...it was an eyeopener from the image she had at the beginning of her career.

In regards to the movie, I really didn't need to see so many sex scenes....I just didn't ever want to have the image of BB getting his freak on.

Well I hope that one day someone does a truer movie about her life, something that can evade her family's obvious wish to whitewash her life. It would be great drama--unbelievable talent but horrible decisions where Bobby and drugs were concerned. And a tragic end. She wasn't a bad person but she was greatly flawed, and that's something everyone can identify with. Plus her singing is such a redeeming quality, and her career had such a riveting arc. There's so much potential there for a great movie.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

We tried watching but couldn't stick with it. We expected it to be cheesy cause it's Lifetime but it just didn't reel us in. I lasted about 20 minutes into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information