Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Forensic Files on HLN

Default Forensic Files on HLN

I know this show has been on for years on various channels, but I always catch is on HLN. It seems to be on 24/7. It was on in the 90's on The Discovery Channel as "The New Detectives" and producer Jerry Bruckheimer and his wife loved it so much he was inspired to create "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation".

Anyway, it's like when nothing else is on, I turn it to this and then I get hooked. Who else is addicted to this show?
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

It has a revamped title and is now on the ID Channel. I don't remember the new name, but they're just recycling the same shows. The ID Channel is my most favorite channel. "A Crime to Remember" is one of the best shows on the air.
    KrisNine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Anyway, it's like when nothing else is on, I turn it to this and then I get hooked. Who else is addicted to this show?
    Me, and for the same reason. When nothing else is on, I turn this on. Even though they repeat the same ones over & over close together, they're still entertaining. It's always a jarring moment when freaking Nancy Grace comes on right after, though.
    Syd, BoogsBun, Bluebonnet and 1 others like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

This kind of thing is always on when I watch tv. I love these shows.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

Love these shows too. I really enjoy Snapped too. Some of the broads who just keep killing, and remarrying, and killing, then remarrying, and...
    Bluebonnet likes this.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Forensic Files and Snapped are my favorites! Also love the ID channel...it's my go-to.

I actually LISTEN to it more than watch it. The reason is that I have Sirius radio in my car and I often have the HLN channel on. For about the last year and a half, every freaking Sunday, I have been down at my parents' house for hours, cleaning it up and painting it. I would listen to Forensic Files on the way down and on the way back. And also on trips to the hardware store to get supplies. Sometimes, I feel like I've heard every show. I could practically recite them from memory.

• The woman who poisoned her husband with thallium (rat poison) for his life insurance money about 4 months after they got married. They caught her by testing his hair and determined that she had been poisoning him for months.
    • The woman who poisoned two husbands with with antifreeze. She got away with the first, but got sloppy with the second husband. The mom of the first husband started comparing notes with the mom of the second husband. Then, to try to deflect blame, this crazy a-hole poisoned her own daughter and forged a suicide note apologizing for poisoning the mom's husbands (!!!) Except detectives determined the note was written while the daughter was at school, and the mom misspelled antifreeze as "antifree", which is a misspelling that had been documented in her other writings.
    • The woman who poisoned her husband with arsenic after he almost caught her having an affair with her coworker. Because he didn't get sick enough, she put more arsenic is his IV drip at the hospital.
    • The high school student who shot his dad in the head while he was sleeping in bed. Then, hid the gun, threw a rock through the outside door to the bedroom locked the inside door behind him and called the cops and said, "I think someone shot my dad". But during the 911 call, he told the operator, "He's bleeding around the mouth!". The operator goes, "How do you know he's bleeding around the mouth if you can't get in the bedroom???" D'Oh!
    • The other high school student who shot his dad so that he could get the inheritance. Also because his dad left him behind on long road trips while neglecting him (he was 10) and his dying mom. But he accidentally left a shell behind that tied the gun to his friend, and then to him.
    • The woman who told police that someone had been following her and harassing her on the way home from the stripper bar she worked at. Except that one of the cops that was supposed to watch out for, killed her instead. They figure it out from his police issue shoe print.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches Forensic Files.

I seem to tune into it when nothing much else is on that entertains me.

I enjoy all those true crime shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I was always a fan of Cold Case Files. The one with Bill Kurtis. That was the best. Sometimes I feel sad for enjoying these shows. I'm just fascinated by this kind of thing.
    Bluebonnet and JerriBlank like this.

I've been watching Forensic Files for years. Started when it was on True Tv which used to be Court TV. I still watch even if I've seen it 100 times.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    • The woman who poisoned her husband with thallium (rat poison) for his life insurance money about 4 months after they got married. They caught her by testing his hair and determined that she had been poisoning him for months.

They just showed this one last night. I laugh and laugh when those murderous bitches get caught!!

Does anyone remember City Confidential on A&E? That was a good one, too. I loved Paul Winfield's dramatic voice.

"Mary was living her dream in this town...but two weeks later.....she was DEAD!" *duh dum duuuuummmmm*
    KrisNine and Beeyotch like this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I was always a fan of Cold Case Files. The one with Bill Kurtis. That was the best. Sometimes I feel sad for enjoying these shows. I'm just fascinated by this kind of thing.
    Don't feel sad. We enjoy them because we like seeing the killers brought to justice!
    sprynkles and KrisNine like this.

I actually LISTEN to it more than watch it. The reason is that I have Sirius radio in my car and I often have the HLN channel on. For about the last year and a half, every freaking Sunday, I have been down at my parents' house for hours, cleaning it up and painting it. I would listen to Forensic Files on the way down and on the way back. And also on trips to the hardware store to get supplies. Sometimes, I feel like I've heard every show. I could practically recite them from memory.

• The woman who poisoned two husbands with with antifreeze. She got away with the first, but got sloppy with the second husband. The mom of the first husband started comparing notes with the mom of the second husband. Then, to try to deflect blame, this crazy a-hole poisoned her own daughter and forged a suicide note apologizing for poisoning the mom's husbands (!!!) Except detectives determined the note was written while the daughter was at school, and the mom misspelled antifreeze as "antifree", which is a misspelling that had been documented in her other writings.
    • The woman who poisoned her husband with arsenic after he almost caught her having an affair with her coworker. Because he didn't get sick enough, she put more arsenic is his IV drip at the hospital.
    • The high school student who shot his dad in the head while he was sleeping in bed. Then, hid the gun, threw a rock through the outside door to the bedroom locked the inside door behind him and called the cops and said, "I think someone shot my dad". But during the 911 call, he told the operator, "He's bleeding around the mouth!". The operator goes, "How do you know he's bleeding around the mouth if you can't get in the bedroom???" D'Oh!
    • The other high school student who shot his dad so that he could get the inheritance. Also because his dad left him behind on long road trips while neglecting him (he was 10) and his dying mom. But he accidentally left a shell behind that tied the gun to his friend, and then to him.
    • The woman who told police that someone had been following her and harassing her on the way home from the stripper bar she worked at. Except that one of the cops that was supposed to watch out for, killed her instead. They figure it out from his police issue shoe print.

Don't forget this episode. I've only seen it about a million times.

"Bitter Potion" October 30, 1997
    Peggy Carr developed mysterious flu symptoms that no doctor was able to diagnose, until a neurologist noticed her ailments were similar to that of a person poisoned by Thallium. Pye Carr instantly became a prime suspect when the poison eventually killed his wife Peggy. Although there were traces of the poison around Pye's belongings, the FBI did not feel Pye matched the psychological profile of the killer. Instead, they turned their attention to the Carr's next door neighbor George James Trepal, who had an extensive chemistry background and even used Thallium poisoning as a plot device in a MENSA Murder Mystery Weekend that he hosted.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Don't feel sad. We enjoy them because we like seeing the killers brought to justice!
    I think I watch it for two reasons:

1. A lot of the victims were just working-class people who got screwed over by someone else, and their unjust deaths would be forgotten if someone did create an episode showing how they finally got justice. I feel that by hearing about them and listening to how their killers were caught that somehow some kind of memory of these people is preserved.

2. 99% of the time, you know going in that as soon as you hear about the crime in the beginning of the episode, that there will be a definitive resolution by the end. It's almost like a morality play. There was one notable exception that I found really infuriating. It was the rich guy who was one of the heirs to a construction/real estate fortune. He had already been suspected of killing his ex fiancee, then his female friend who probably knew to much about the murder. While this guy was on the run and in hiding, he is thought to have killed another associate - a roommate at the flop house where he was hiding out (dressed as a woman). They ended up catching him because he decided to shoplift some merchandise that he actually had more than enough cash on him to pay for. Anyway, they charge him with the murder of his roommate, and he hires the best legal team in Texas. And those slick f*ckers get him acquitted. I almost lost my mind - I felt betrayed. By the way, HLN finally tracked him down and got him to agree to an interview. It's supposed to happen in the next couple of weeks.

Another great case that Forensic Files covered was the Perry March murder case. What really resonates about it was that he was one of those a-holes who kills his wife, and then claims that she ran off and deserted the family, despite the fact that her purse, cell phone, money, etc. have all been left behind. And the fact that she was a devoted mom who would have never left her children. It reminded me a LOT of the Susan Powell case. For years, March claimed to be looking for her. His wife's father was a very powerful attorney (in Tennessee) and this guy was not going to roll over. He pursued Perry relentlessly in court. Finally Perry marries a Mexican woman and moves his kids there. Eventually, he was caught and convicted because he was finally going to be extradited for trial back to the US and he tried to hire cell mate who was about to be released to kill his in-laws. Except that that guy was wearing a wire. First, they enssared Perry's dad, who was going to help with the conspiracy. Then, the dad turned state's evidence on Perry. I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    Don't forget this episode. I've only seen it about a million times.

"Bitter Potion" October 30, 1997
    Peggy Carr developed mysterious flu symptoms that no doctor was able to diagnose, until a neurologist noticed her ailments were similar to that of a person poisoned by Thallium. Pye Carr instantly became a prime suspect when the poison eventually killed his wife Peggy. Although there were traces of the poison around Pye's belongings, the FBI did not feel Pye matched the psychological profile of the killer. Instead, they turned their attention to the Carr's next door neighbor George James Trepal, who had an extensive chemistry background and even used Thallium poisoning as a plot device in a MENSA Murder Mystery Weekend that he hosted.
    Believe it or not, I've never seen that one. It sounds really interesting.
    KrisNine likes this.

I think I watch it for two reasons:

1. A lot of the victims were just working-class people who got screwed over by someone else, and their unjust deaths would be forgotten if someone did create an episode showing how they finally got justice. I feel that by hearing about them and listening to how their killers were caught that somehow some kind of memory of these people is preserved.

2. 99% of the time, you know going in that as soon as you hear about the crime in the beginning of the episode, that there will be a definitive resolution by the end. It's almost like a morality play. There was one notable exception that I found really infuriating. It was the rich guy who was one of the heirs to a construction/real estate fortune. He had already been suspected of killing his ex fiancee, then his female friend who probably knew to much about the murder. While this guy was on the run and in hiding, he is thought to have killed another associate - a roommate at the flop house where he was hiding out (dressed as a woman). They ended up catching him because he decided to shoplift some merchandise that he actually had more than enough cash on him to pay for. Anyway, they charge him with the murder of his roommate, and he hires the best legal team in Texas. And those slick f*ckers get him acquitted. I almost lost my mind - I felt betrayed. By the way, HLN finally tracked him down and got him to agree to an interview. It's supposed to happen in the next couple of weeks.

Another great case that Forensic Files covered was the Perry March murder case. What really resonates about it was that he was one of those a-holes who kills his wife, and then claims that she ran off and deserted the family, despite the fact that her purse, cell phone, money, etc. have all been left behind. And the fact that she was a devoted mom who would have never left her children. It reminded me a LOT of the Susan Powell case. For years, March claimed to be looking for her. His wife's father was a very powerful attorney (in Tennessee) and this guy was not going to roll over. He pursued Perry relentlessly in court. Finally Perry marries a Mexican woman and moves his kids there. Eventually, he was caught and convicted because he was finally going to be extradited for trial back to the US and he tried to hire cell mate who was about to be released to kill his in-laws. Except that that guy was wearing a wire. First, they enssared Perry's dad, who was going to help with the conspiracy. Then, the dad turned state's evidence on Perry. I loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooved it.

Believe it or not, I've never seen that one. It sounds really interesting.
    I can't believe you missed that one. Trepal had a really creative way of poisoning the neighbors. His ego tripped him up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information