Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Serial Podcast

fgg

Default Serial Podcast

i know this isn't television or movies but it isn't music either so...

is anyone listening to the serial podcast? i am addicted to it! i love the music that goes with it.

Serial is a new podcast from the creators of This American Life, hosted by Sarah Koenig. Serial will follow one story - a true story - over the course of a whole season. We'll follow the plot and characters wherever they take us and we wonít know what happens at the end of the story until we get there, not long before you get there with us. Each week we'll bring you the latest chapter, so it's important to listen in order, starting with Episode 1.

Season 1

On January 13, 1999, a girl named Hae Min Lee, a senior at Woodlawn High School in Baltimore County, Maryland, disappeared. A month later, her body turned up in a city park. She'd been strangled. Her 17-year-old ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, was arrested for the crime, and within a year, he was convicted and sentenced to spend the rest of his life in prison. The case against him was largely based on the story of one witness, Adnanís friend Jay, who testified that he helped Adnan bury Hae's body. But Adnan has always maintained he had nothing to do with Haeís death. Some people believe heís telling the truth. Many others donít.

Sarah Koenig, who hosts Serial, first learned about this case more than a year ago. In the months since, she's been sorting through box after box (after box) of legal documents and investigators' notes, listening to trial testimony and police interrogations, and talking to everyone she can find who remembers what happened between Adnan Syed and Hae Min Lee fifteen years ago. What she realized is that the trial covered up a far more complicated story, which neither the jury nor the public got to hear. The high school scene, the shifting statements to police, the prejudices, the sketchy alibis, the scant forensic evidence - all of it leads back to the most basic questions: How can you know a personís character? How can you tell what theyíre capable of? In Season One of Serial, she looks for answers.

Serial

this case is currently under appeal so it will be interesting to see what happens. episode 11 comes out tomorrow!

Adnan Syed, Convict Featured in Serial Podcast, Getting Appeal Case - Us Weekly

Serial NPR Podcast: Family of Adnan Syed Reacts in Guardian Interview
    palta likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Tee hee hee, yeah, I got sucked in when This American Life did this episode The Alibi | This American Life

The Serial parodies by this guy are hilarious https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stYkaBFpDyc
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Heard about it a while back. Especially because the events happened in this area. However, I haven't actually heard any of it.

fgg

mo - you love mysteries, disappearances, etc. so i think you'd get hooked instantly! each episode is less than an hour.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

I definitely like true-life mysteries. But my attention span is so miniscule these days.......

It sounds great! I love This American Life. I'm definitely going to listen to this podcast. Thanks for the recommendation.

fgg

palta - report back on your thoughts!

mo - they are short so you can listen to them in the car on the way to work. i listened to most of them when we were doing a bunch of car trips these last few weeks. we are planning on listening to tomorrow's together after work over a speaker at the house so we can hear it at the same time.

fgg

Best Buy Apologizes for Controversial Twitter Joke About Serial Podcast, Alleged Murder Site

Next time, Best Buy should stick to the Cap'n Crunch. The electronics giant came under fire this week for tweeting a controversial joke about the blockbuster podcast Serial.

"We have everything you need," Best Buy tweeted on Thursday, Dec. 11. "Unless you need a payphone. #Serial."

The company was referencing an integral plot point in the wildly popular This American Life spin-off podcast Serial. Led by acclaimed journalist Sarah Koenig, the weekly installments dive into a murder case from 1999, attempting to clear up some questions about the convicted murder's possible innocence.

The payphone came into play as a part of the original testimony against jailed convict Adnan Syed, who was charged with the death of his 18-year-old ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee.

Syed's former friend Jay told the authorities that Syed, now 34, called Jay from a payphone in a Best Buy parking lot to come pick him up after fatally strangling Lee. The existence of said payphone has come into question and some fans are even traveling to the Best Buy location in Windsor Mill, Maryland to check out the parking lot for themselves.

Best Buy jumped on the massive success of the podcast to do a little self-promotion in light of the hunt for the payphone, but the tweet was quickly met with outrage from many Twitter users.

"I'm never shopping at your franchise," one person wrote, while others commented on the tweet being "offensive."

The company later deleted the tweet, and released a follow-up apology on Twitter reading, "We deeply apologize for our earlier tweet about Serial. It lacked good judgment and doesnít reflect the values of our company. We are sorry."

Read more: Best Buy Apologizes for Twitter Joke About Serial Podcast, Murder Site - Us Weekly

only one more episode left. WAH!!

I have listened to three episodes so far and I'm loving it.
    I often have this conversation with my bf about how it would not be possible for me to remember what I have been doing on an specific date, so I've been hooked since the first episode.
    Thanks for the recommendation again, fgg.

fgg

yay! so glad you like it palta i'm really interested to see how they will wrap up the series tomorrow.

I'm so into this right now. I was interested because I heard that people were addicted to it, so I wanted to see what it was all about. I love it, but I'm surprised that it caught the attention of so many people. It just doesn't seem like it would appeal to everyone. I'm on episode 10 and will finish out the series tonight.

Mo, definitely tune in. It's interesting because it's local and the episodes are fairly short.

OK, has anyone read this article with Jay?

Interview with 'Serial' witness Jay Wilds stirs debate - CNN.com

I think this guy is a total liar.

Spoiler....

He now says that Hae was dead in the trunk of Adnan's car when Adnan showed up at his (Jay's) grandmothers house??? Interesting, because according to Jay, Hae was dead in the trunk at Best Buy, not the grandmothers house. Seems you would remember where you first saw a dead girl in the trunk of your so-called friends car.

He gives reasons for why he didn't want his grandmother's house involved but man the whole thing is crazy. I'm just going to wait for the DNA test results.

^^Yeah, true. He just seems so damn fishy to me. Not that I'm totally sold on Adnan not being guilty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information