Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: The Leftovers on HBO

fgg

Default The Leftovers on HBO

When 2% of the world’s population abruptly disappears without explanation, the world struggles to come to terms with what happened. Three years later, the HBO drama series, 'The Leftovers' is the story of the people who didn’t make the cut.

Based on the bestselling novel by Tom Perrotta, 'The Leftovers' follows Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux), a father of two and the chief of police in a small New York suburb, as he tries to maintain some semblance of normalcy when the notion no longer applies. Created by 'Lost' co-creator Damon Lindelof and acclaimed novelist Tom Perrotta, the series is executive produced by Lindelof, Perrotta and 'Friday Night Lights' executive producers Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey.* Lindelof serves as the series showrunner.

anyone watch the premiere? there was a lot of weird shit going on.

The Leftovers | The Official Website for the HBO Series
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

This is kind of a spoiler, but I think this all turns out to be a figment of Jack Shepherd's imagination.

Started watching this last night...I'm not sure what I think of it so far, but I'm curious so I will stick with it.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I watched the premiere and have the 2nd episode on the DVR...I dunno. It's pretty dark. But I wanted to check out Justin Theroux.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

fgg

i've seen both episodes and will continue to watch. it is different than anything else on right now.

I will watch it 'til the end, just to see Justin Theroux
    Jazzy likes this.

I couldn't get into it. Those people in the white robes annoyed me lol

Shirtless Justin is good viewing. The not-a-cult cult perpetual smoking gives me a sickness. The whole ambiguous Lost-ey Is It Religious Is It A Metaphysical Phenom hook was played out with Jack Shephard and crew. We know the answers will not fully satisfy us because of preposterous premises like an Asian girl powered hug guru.

But shirtless Justin works.

The hug guru is a bit weird. Wonder why we need him in the show.

Otherwise, I like it so far and I will keep watching it. Justin is really hot - damn, Jennifer Aniston!

I was discouraged from even giving this show a chance after I saw an interview with a writer or producer, maybe it was Lindelof, where he said the show eventually becomes less about finding out why and how the people disappeared and more about other shit [I forget what, interactions and reactions in the face of life-changing events or something.]

And I'm like, really? I know that^^ is where the drama is, but it's the big hook, the curiosity about what happened to all the disappeared people and why it happened--and they're not planning on answering that? I never got into Lost because of the bullshit misdirection I heard others complaining about, and this seems similarly dissatisfying.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I was discouraged from even giving this show a chance after I saw an interview with a writer or producer, maybe it was Lindelof, where he said the show eventually becomes less about finding out why and how the people disappeared and more about other shit [I forget what, interactions and reactions in the face of life-changing events or something.]

And I'm like, really? I know that^^ is where the drama is, but it's the big hook, the curiosity about what happened to all the disappeared people and why it happened--and they're not planning on answering that? I never got into Lost because of the bullshit misdirection I heard others complaining about, and this seems similarly dissatisfying.
    I just read the book last week & did manage to get hooked into what was going on with the central characters....~big spoiler~ most of the loose ends were tied up character-wise, but it never explained what the hell happened to the people who disappeared, not so much as a single 'teaser' pointing to anything. UGH!!!

Is anyone still watching? The last episode was amazing and disturbing (well, just like all the other episode).

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post

i think (and i say this without having read the book or watched the show) from what i've read, that just like 'blindness' by jose saramago, the important thing isn't really what happened or why, but rather how societies deal with it? in 'blindness', suddenly there's a blindness epidemic but it lifts and disappears as quickly as it came and that's never explained either and it's not the point.
    while i appreciate that type of literary exercise, and i see the point of it, i agree with you that it's extremely frustrating that this central event is never really explained.
    ikmccall likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

fgg

i am one episode behind but we're still watching. i really enjoy it even though a lot of fucked up stuff happens.

Is anyone watching season 2? I like it so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information