Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Penny Dreadful on Showtime

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Default Penny Dreadful on Showtime

Penny Dreadful: Pretty Wonderful | "I'm in need of a gentleman who is not hesitant to engage in dangerous endeavors." | Screen News | Boise Weekly

Penny Dreadful: Pretty Wonderful

"I'm in need of a gentleman who is not hesitant to engage in dangerous endeavors."

By George Prentice @georgepren

While I admit that I've never been much of a fan of the genre, American television needed another series about the undead like it needed a stake in the heart.
    But Penny Dreadful is a deliciously macabre and rather smart bit of business, which recently debuted on Showtime. I'm hooked.
    A good amount of the fun in this expensive-looking production comes from a liberal introduction of some famous literary characters to Penny Dreadful's primary plotline: Dorian Gray, Mina Harker (ofDracula) and a young physician named Victor Frankenstein, who brings someone back from the dead in the first episode.
    Rounding up this motley crew that must battle with marauders, rippers, vampires and such--not unlike The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen--is the smoky and utterly composed clairvoyant Vanessa Ives (played by the equally smoky Eva Green).
    "I'm in need of a gentleman who is not hesitant to engage in dangerous endeavors," Ives half-whispers to arrogant marksman Ethan Chandler (Josh Hartnett), telling him that his shooting skills are needed for "some night work."
    Ives is doing the recruiting on behalf of the well-to-do and well-connected Sir Malcolm Murray (a well-cast Timothy Dalton), whose wealth is matched only by his obsession to find his kidnapped daughter.
    "To save her, I would murder the world," Murray grizzles.
    A word of caution: Penny Dreadful is adult fare, with a surfeit of sex scenes and a bunch of bloodshed. While I'm not enamored with stylized violence, this has a wonderfully bookish discipline.
    Penny Dreadful is, by pay-cable accounts, a hit, with more than 1 million viewers tuning in to the first episode, added to the nearly 1 million more who previewed the series for free on Showtime on Demand. It's not too late to catch up; only three episodes have aired thus far. You can thank us later.
    Airs Sundays at 10 p.m. ET. For more info, visit sho.com/sho/penny-dreadful.

Is anyone watching this? I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but it's really good. Josh Hartnett is growing on me.

I'm watching but right now I'm bored to tears. Hoping it gets better.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I've only watched the first episode. I DO have the rest recorded and may give the others a look...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Really? I think I'm easily entertained. I'm bored by the main storyline (Murray trying to find his daughter). But I think the Frankenstein/Creature and Eva Green characters are pretty interesting. Not to mention, I want to know what the hell Ethan really is?

I keep reading everyone saying how much they love it and I guess I'm just missing it. I expected to like it but I'm just bored. I'll keep watching this season at least and hope it gets better for me. I'm loving Salem on WGN so much more.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

After I watch the first episode I really didn't think I would like it, but it is slowly turning into one of my must watch shows.
    laynes likes this.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Butterfly, did you see last night's episode? Holy shit.. it was the best one yet in my opinion. I can't figure out who/what Ethan is, but Josh Hartnett is doing a fantastic job. And Eva Green should win every acting award available. Would love to hear your thoughts if your still watching.

Laynes, we only finished 1/2. Will watch the rest tonight, but so far I am enjoying this episode.
    laynes likes this.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Laynes, I finally finished watching the episode! I think Ethan might have been a priest and something happened to him to question his faith...which we find out in the last episode. Did you see the last one?

[major spoiler] Ethan is a werewolf! I bet he is the one in the first episode that tore that woman and her daughter apart, and not Jack the Ripper, like the paper suggested. American werewolf in London. Can't wait for next season. [/end of major spoiler]

Hmm I thought maybe he got turned when they had their last confrontation with Mina. I was right about who Frankenstein was going to turn into a girlfriend the whole season. The series was still hit or miss to me. I'm going to keep watching though.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Laynes, I finally finished watching the episode! I think Ethan might have been a priest and something happened to him to question his faith...which we find out in the last episode. Did you see the last one?

[major spoiler] Ethan is a werewolf! I bet he is the one in the first episode that tore that woman and her daughter apart, and not Jack the Ripper, like the paper suggested. American werewolf in London. Can't wait for next season. [/end of major spoiler]
    I just finished the season last night. I had suspicions of Ethan..only because of the zoo scene and the fact that he was able to kiss Brona. The big reveal left a little to be desired. But..it opened up more questions about Papa Chandler for next season. I felt like there were so many other questions left unanswered as well. Next season is going to feel like forever since I'm assuming it will be a full year?

Gas_Chick- I agree that the Bride was a bit predictable. But now I wonder if we'll have a "Wolfman vs Frankenstein's creature"?

Also, now that Mina is gone.. is that then end of the Dracula storyline?

I think that would be pretty awesome if there was a battle of Wolfman and Frankenstein especially once Ethan realizes or finds out who the Bride is.
    laynes likes this.

I think Dracula is going to show up next season for Vanessa... I also knew as well that Brona was going to be the bride.
    laynes likes this.

Just started watching this via Netflix, love it! All that gothic horror and suspense is just perfect for Halloween.
    laynes likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Geez, I am so disappointed in the guy they cast as Dorian Gray. Yes, he is pretty but certainly not irresistible, and his hair sucks.
    Linne likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information