Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles

Default The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles

OK, who watched? It was so good!!

LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 27: Recording artists Paul McCartney (below) and Ringo Starr (top) perform onstage during the taping of a CBS TV special to be aired on February 9, 2014.Larry Busacca/Getty Images for NARAS

LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 27: Recording artists Paul McCartney (below) and Ringo Starr (top) perform onstage during the taping of a CBS TV special to be aired on February 9, 2014.Larry Busacca/Getty Images for NARAS

It was 50 years to the day, date, time, and television network, CBS, when the Beatles made their first iconic appearance on “The Ed Sullivan Show.” “The Night That Changed America” A Grammy Salute to The Beatles” Sunday night opened with a rare retro CBS eye promo teaser.
    This was to alert viewers the Ed Sullivan show is coming up. They mentioned the Beatles as an English rock and roll group from Liverpool. That was a bit strange hearing them introduced like that after all these decades. It gave viewers a perspective of that era when it was all very new.
    Ed Sullivan then makes his famous introduction...Ladies and Gentleman...The Beatles. LL Cool J acted as host for this two and a half hour musical tribute special. A clip is shown of the Beatles opening with “All My Loving,” then it segued to Maroon 5 in L.A. singing their version of the early Beatles hit.
    The Grammy salute special was a combination of looking back with brief clips of the Beatles appearance, audience members and Ed Sullivan show staffer recollections, David Letterman’s interview with Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, and the musical tribute with some of today’s artists and classic rockers.
    Surprisingly the full performances of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan were not shown in its entirety. They performed a total of five songs that ended up as quick clips at best. There were other excellent highlights. Fans of the Beatles who were lucky to be there in the audience that night were interviewed. You saw a clip of them 50 years ago screaming away. Many of those are recognizable in Beatle documentaries and other TV specials.
    Interviews with the set designer, assistant director, and production assistant shared some fascinating anecdotes. Two sets were made for the February 9 show, one with the arrows pointing to the band members, and a black background with the words The Beatles in white. The latter one was going to be used, except Ed Sullivan disliked it, because everyone would know it’s the Beatles. It was the arrow set that was later chosen.
    Throughout this special the concert segment was front and center. Obviously it was the classic rockers, and other artists from that era, who shined in their Beatle songs. Stevie Wonder wowed those with “We Can Work It Out.”
    Dave Grohl gave a passionate speech on how much the Beatles meant to him while growing up on their music. He performed with the former Traveling Wilbury, Jeff Lynne, on “Hey Bulldog” that rocked the house.
    Jeff Lynne also joined Eagles, Joe Walsh, and Dhani Harrison, the son of George Harrison, on “Something” that was both powerful and emotional.
    The best part of the night was the finale with Ringo and Paul. First up were Ringo’s three solo performances that got the entire audience on their feet. Paul's “Sgt. Pepper" brought back Ringo for “A Little Help from My Friends.” Closing out was Ringo on drums and McCartney on piano with “Hey Jude.”

‘The Night That Changed America: A Grammy Salute To The Beatles’ relives history - Tampa Bay TV | Examiner.com
    Brookie likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I watched - enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I like a moron forgot it was on and I'm a little sad too that I missed it

I watched the first hour then had to switch over to my Showtime/HBO Sunday night ritual. Loved what I saw though, and I was DVR'ing it so will probably watch the whole thing tonight.

I loved that Dhani Harrison played on "Something." Not only does he look just like George, he sounds so much like him too. Wish he would have sung a couple verses solo instead of just providing backup vocals.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I got a bit teary-eyed when Paul was singing the intro to Sgt Pepper and says the "Biiiiiillllllyyyyy Sheeeeaaaarrrrrs" part and Ringo walked on stage and they did "Get By With A Little Help From My Friends"!!
    Brookie likes this.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

Hot damn!!!! I can't believe I missed it. I hope it reruns soon. SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn I forgot! Wonder if it is On Demand.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Ringo is a day-walking vampire!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Ringo is a day-walking vampire!!!
    Did you see how he was jumping around on stage?! He's like 74 years old!

OMG I had tears when they did My Guitar Gently Weeps, holy Moly the entire night was pure joy. Except half of them were missing. Love that Ringo!!

I would totally do Ringo. He was my favourite Beatle.

We watched it and loved it too.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I saw a commercial showing it will be aired again on Wednesday night.
    Bluebonnet and 70sRock like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Ok, I'm watching again and I kept wondering about the woman sitting next to Barbara Bach with the short dark hair, obviously her sister, but it's like seeing Samantha and Serena from Bewitched!!

I had no clue the sister is married to Joe Walsh. I figured she just finagled an invite from Barbara and Ringo.

Bluebonnet likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I know Yoko got all the WE HATE YOU!!!! for "breaking up the Beatles" but I love her and Sean rocking the shit out during the performances. Loved every time they showed them in the audience.

Marjorie Bach used to big a big haired blond pageant looking type.

Last edited by Annie B; February 12th, 2014 at 11:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information