Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By southernbelle

Thread: Killing Kennedy

Default Killing Kennedy

Anyone else watching this on National Geographic channel right now? Rob Lowe is passable as JFK, surprisingly. He's got the accent and voice inflection basically down. Ginnifer Goodwin is playing Jackie as weak and mousey and looks very stumpy and frumpy. Michelle Trachtenberg is playing Lee Harvey Oswald's wife, and because she has the permanent bitchface, she's perfect for it.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

I forgot but hopefully it will run again.

^ they are playing it all night back to back

I had a reminder set but wanted to watch Anthony Bourdain "Parts Unknown". He's doing a segment on Detroit. So far, it's well balanced with heavy emphasis on some tasty looking stuff.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

It's starting again in about 6 minutes for anyone who didn't catch it. 9pm CST/10pm EST

Was it worth watching?

- Mark Twain

Eh, it was rushed. There was a lot of history to touch on, but they tried to pack so much in that you could barely focus on anything before they'd moved on to something else. The Cuban Missile Crisis seemed to take all of about 5 minutes. Truthfully, I would've been more interested in more of the last year or so of Kennedy's presidency and life than all the stuff they tried to do on Oswald's time in Russia and relationship with his wife. The acting is meh - nothing special, imo. Rob Lowe was satisfactory and not nearly the disaster I thought he might be. Ginnifer Goodwin gets better towards the end after JFK is shot.

Okay, thanks. I'll skip it based on your review. I was hoping it would be more of the last year of his presidency too rather than the entire term.

- Mark Twain

A*O

We're getting Greg Kinnear/Katie Holmes in The Kennedys. I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Both look enough like Jack/Jackie to be convincing and it doesn't gloss over the womanising, the drugs, etc. We are about to get to Marilyn and the Assassination so let's see.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    It's starting again in about 6 minutes for anyone who didn't catch it. 9pm CST/10pm EST
    Thanks. I'll watch anything Kennedy. Rob is good but he reminds me of Rob Lowe being Greg Kinnear being Kennedy. Jackie's hair is good. I've only seen two minutes so far. I didn't know I got NatGeo - and along the way I passed To Catch A Predator which I haven't seen in years - loved that show.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    We're getting Greg Kinnear/Katie Holmes in The Kennedys. I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Both look enough like Jack/Jackie to be convincing and it doesn't gloss over the womanising, the drugs, etc. We are about to get to Marilyn and the Assassination so let's see.
    I watched a couple of episodes too a few weeks ago. Not that bad at all. Good cast. Katie was a good Jackie and my fingertips are in pain for typing that, but hey, she was was. I missed Marilyn and the Assassination episode.

Isn't PBS going to air this as well? I hope so.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

The whole movie is available on youtube. I enjoyed it, but I thought Ginnifer Goodwin was miscast as Jackie. Rob Lowe was phenomenal. Michelle Trachtenberg was good as Marina Oswald, too. I didn't realize that Michelle speaks fluent Russian.

Bluebonnet likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I agree. The approach was a little too much soap opera, but then, the Kennedy family history reads like a Greek tragedy. Kinnear looked eerily much like JFK, albeit too short. Holmes wasn't a total failure. I still think that Blair Brown was the best Jackie Kennedy. (I had to look up her name on IMDB and realized that series was from 1983 for goodness sake!).

I'm sorry, but Lowe just didn't have it for me. I feel he was miscast, not just because he bore no resemblance to JFK, but because it didn't come across as a JFK portrayal. If it weren't for the whole cast of Kennedy related characters, it could've been about any fictional president.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Thread Information