Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By bonnie lass
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett

Thread: Masters of Sex

Default Masters of Sex

Masters of sex on Showtime

Michael Sheen and Lizzy Caplan star as the lead characters, Dr. William Masters and Virginia Johnson, two pioneering researchers of human sexuality at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
    It was developed by Michelle Ashford and based on Thomas Maier's biography Masters of Sex: The Life and Times of William Masters and Virginia Johnson, the Couple Who Taught America How to Love.

I watched the first episode and really like it. It has an interesting subject and characters. I'll keep watching.

Ahh I was going to create a thread about this show. I like it too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

After catching up last week, this show is on my can't miss list. Although other the actors suffice, I will sorely miss Annaleigh Ashford (Betty) if she doesn't come back. Lizzy Caplan as Virginia E Johnson is impressive but Michael Sheen (or the way Dr. Master's role is written?) isn't doing anything for me. The story about sex physiology research and concurrent obsession combined with female ambition outweigh the awkward male characters so far.

I wondered why the male prostitute called out the provost ? What was in it for him?

This show is like Mad Men's oddly inverted penis.

This show just keeps getting better and better. The chemistry between the leads is remarkable. I love it that that supporting roles are so well-played and interesting, too. I don't have a single instance of what I'm now calling "the Dana syndrome"--after Brody's horrible daughter on "Homeland"--where I am literally rooting for an insanely irritating character to die in some horrible fashion as soon as possible.

Most of all I love this for Caplan and Sheen. They are both absolutely brilliant. No spoilers but Sheen's performance in tonight's episode was particularly unforgettable.

Admittedly I'm biased because, at least as he is depicted here, William Masters reminds me of a very dear man I knew when I was a girl. We used to have the most incredible conversations. Like Masters, he had an abusive, unhappy childhood; like Masters, he was a scientist and a man of his era and tended to see the world very much in those terms. And like Masters, he had extremely powerful emotions and drives which he repressed absolutely and actually seemed to fear. To others, he could appear cold, dogmatic, offputting, even intellectually overbearing and unfeeling.

Based on what I see online, quite a few viewers seem to feel similarly about Masters. I think this episode will change some opinions...

Really recommend this show, but it doesn't leap out of the gate, it builds slowly and deliberately. It's also extremely funny at times.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I'm liking this a lot.
    Sheen's character is frustrating and so interesting at the same time. His relationship with his mother is full of resentment. I can relate to that, it is painful.
    Masters and Virginia are great together.
    His wife is a little annoying sometimes, and I hate the way he treats her, like she is child.
    I loved seeing Allison Janney last episode (ep6), her story was sad but had a happy ending.

i keep meaning to watch this!
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I've come to realize that Allison Janney makes every project better. Period.

^Yes, but her hair in this is so distracting.

I've only seen a few minutes of the show, and the main reason I watched was because I love Lizzy Kaplan - especially the way she looks here.

I wanted to mention that I was really struck by the character that Julianne Nicholson played and the historical importance. A female doctor struggling to have resources and attention finally allocated to female patients. In the segments I've seen, she comes across as kind of earnest but cold - which makes sense considering how long she must have been fighting this battle by this point.

^^It totally doesn't surprise me that you dig Lizzy Caplan. She IS amazing in this. She's the heart of the show.

Have you seen the last couple of episodes? Nicholson's character, Dr. DePaul, has been developed a great deal. There've been a couple of scenes with her and Caplan....I can't even start, I'll spoiler it if you haven't watched, but suffice to say Dr. DePaul is even braver than we thought at first. She and Allison Janney have both moved me to the point of tears. Great writing, great acting.
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

The second season is repetitive and the characters are super annoying.
    I already hate everyone and I have four more episodes to go.

Love this show.

Thread Information