• 2 Post By yanna
  • 4 Post By misrule
  • 1 Post By Sassiness
  • 1 Post By Kathie_Moffett
  • 1 Post By Sassiness

Thread: Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi revealed as 12th Doctor

Elite Member

Default Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi revealed as 12th Doctor

So I guess Moffat is finally off the continuous loop of sexy doctors with cute young companions who love them. Thank goodness. That was so stale (which is why the Donna seasons were the best.) Hope this shakes up the series. Capaldi is an long time friend of Craig Ferguson, who must be going wild over this.

BBC News - Doctor Who: Peter Capaldi revealed as 12th Doctor

Actor Peter Capaldi has been announced as the new star of BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who.

The 55-year-old Glasgow-born star will be the 12th actor to play the Doctor, replacing outgoing lead Matt Smith.
    Capaldi is best known for his role as foul-mouthed spin-doctor Malcolm Tucker in the BBC series The Thick of It.
    "It's so wonderful not to keep this secret any longer, but it's been so fantastic," he said after the news was revealed on a live BBC One show.
    The actor had been the bookmakers' favourite to take on the role, with betting on him becoming the next Doctor suspended on Friday.
    It is not the first time Capaldi has appeared on the show - he played Roman merchant Caecilius in 2008 Doctor Who adventure The Fires of Pompeii.
    At 55, he is the same age as William Hartnell when he was cast in the role as the first Doctor in 1963.
    Capaldi was cast after a secret audition at Steven Moffat's house
    "Being asked to play the Doctor is an amazing privilege. Like the Doctor himself I find myself in a state of utter terror and delight. I can't wait to get started," he said.
    Secret audition
    Steven Moffat, the show's lead writer and executive producer, said casting Capaldi as the Doctor was an "incendiary combination".
    "One of the most talented actors of his generation is about to play the best part on television."
    Moffat said Capaldi had been cast after a secret audition at his house.
    "We made a home video of [Capaldi] being the doctor and I showed it around and everyone said 'yes, that's the Doctor'.
    Moffat added the actor had "briefly flicked through my mind" the last time he was casting the role, but he did not think he was right for the part, however "now that moment has arrived".
    Capaldi said he downloaded old Doctor Who scripts from the internet and practiced the lines in front of a mirror to prepare for the audition.
    He revealed he was filming a BBC adaptation of The Three Musketeers in Prague when he found out he got the part.
    "I had my phone on silent so I missed the call," he said. "It was my agent and I rang her up and she said 'hello Doctor' - I haven't stopped laughing since."
    'Incredible incarnation'
    Outgoing Doctor Matt Smith welcomed Capaldi's casting, who pre-recorded a message for the new Time Lord.
    "I wish my successor all the best and say good luck and good on you for getting it, because I know he's both a huge fan of the show and a really nice guy," he said.

"The casting made me ready excited and as a fan I think it's a canny choice. If I had to pick someone, I'd pick him because I think he's great. I'm excited because I know what's coming and he's going to have a blast."
    Jenna Coleman, who stars as current Doctor Who companion Clara, said: "I'm so excited Peter Capaldi is the man taking on the challenge of becoming the 12th Doctor.
    "With Steven's writing and his talent I know we'll be making an amazing show with an incredible incarnation of number 12. I can't wait to start this new adventure."
    Ben Stephenson, controller of BBC Drama Commissioning said Capaldi was "an extraordinarily talented actor who can seemingly turn his hand to anything".
    "We can't wait to premiere his unique take on the Doctor on Christmas Day and we are sure he's going to become one of the all-time classic Doctors."
    Following the announcement, The Thick of It writer Armando Ianucci tweeted: "There can't be a funnier, wiser, more exciting Time Lord than Peter Capaldi. The universe is in great hands."
    I'mNotBitter and Lalique like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Love it! He's a fab actor, he has such presence in everything. I watched World War Z last night and his scenes with Brad Pitt made Pitt look really wooden. And he's a Scot, so that's good too
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Don't know why but I would have loved Idris Elba to be the new Doc. Loved this guy in The Thick of It though.

Brilliant! Malcolm Tucker as the new Time Lord?! This is must watch tv.

Yay! I hated Matt Smith with a passion. Now if we could just get a new writer....
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

YES, YES, YES, A MILLION TIMES YES.

And I don't really watch Doctor Who anymore but for this sexy bastard, I will.
    Kathie_Moffett and Rusalka like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

This makes me so happy. And if I can just once hear the new doctor say 'fuckity-bye', I will die happy :-). Moffat better not fuck this up!
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

Really happy with this. As much as I've liked the young, sexy doctors, it is time for a more "refined" Doctor.
    Lalique likes this.

Elite Member

Yay! He's going to be awesome.

William hartnell was only 55 at the beginning? He looked 155.

That'd be the boozing. (which is why he "retired"/was fired leading to the producers figuring out this whole regeneration thing)

makes me wish the doctor could work blue.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    This makes me so happy. And if I can just once hear the new doctor say 'fuckity-bye', I will die happy :-). Moffat better not fuck this up!
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    makes me wish the doctor could work blue.
    exactly! There's gotta be a way to work 'fuckity-bye' in there, at least.

Basically, after having watched some stuff with him: I love this guy. But we MUST have the Scottish accent. And a guest spot by Craig Ferguson. Maybe as a really sexay Scottish supervillain??
    Sassiness likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

YES (to CF as Scottish supervillan. And #12 keeping his native accent.)
    Rusalka likes this.

Craig and Peter were in a punk band when they were young. Craig was very complimentary to Peter in his book and said that he was the one that convinced him to go into comedy.

Thread Information