Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Mel1973

Thread: Ray Donovan - New Series on Showtime

Default Ray Donovan - New Series on Showtime

Ok, anyone watching this one yet? It's only two episodes in and it stars Liev Shreiber and Jon Voight. Liev is Ray Donovan and Jon plays his father, Mickey. So far, I'm liking it. I love the characters Terry & Bunchy Donovan (Ray's brothers). The wife and her godawful accent bring my blood to a boil... as does his daughter.

In the new Showtime series Ray Donovan, Liev Schreiber stars in the title role as a man who knows how to handle a crisis. It's Donovan's job to clean up the messes of Hollywood's rich and powerful while trying to keep his own personal problems under wraps.

A TV series is something of a new turn for Schreiber, who's been acting onstage and in movies for two decades. But playing complicated characters is something he's earned a reputation for, with roles in films like Defiance and The Manchurian Candidate.
    He won a Tony Award for his portrayal of Richard Roma in the 2005 Broadway production of Glengarry Glen Ross, David Mamet's drama about real estate agents who are out to get each other.

A variation on this theme draws Schreiber to Ray Donovan. Donovan is hardly loquacious and, as Schreiber tells Fresh Air's Dave Davies, "not having the cloak of dialogue was another interesting exercise: How do you play these things? How do you keep a character alive without words?"

Beneath Donovan's seeming composure is a great deal of personal conflict that surfaces when his father is released prematurely from prison and reappears in Donovan's life. This tension between calm and torment, says Schreiber, is central to contemporary masculinity.

"What really drew me to the original pilot script and [to] meeting Ann [Biderman]," he says, "was her fascination with masculinity, and what it was about masculinity that was compelling and elusive. Particularly the idea that with great rage and with great violence comes great vulnerability."

"[I]n terms of being menacing, it's something unfortunately I was sort of born with. I often describe it as the 'arched eyebrows and Slavic fat pads.' It's just something about my face. When I started out acting I really wanted to be a comic actor, but I naturally fell into these roles.
    "I think the first time I played Iago at the Public Theater I realized I had a much to my chagrin I realized I had an instinct for these conflicted characters, for these torn characters, for these characters who could be described as evil. I wouldn't describe them that way. I also always like them. ...
    "My mother didn't let me see color films. I saw a lot of black-and-white films. The first time I saw Basil Rathbone, I was completely taken. To me, that was the epitome of great acting, was Basil Rathbone not only in Sherlock Holmes, but the Sheriff of Nottingham, and all the terrible characters he had to play alongside Errol Flynn."

On taking his work home with him on Ray Donovan
    "I didn't ever think that I took roles home with me, but this has been a lot of work, and it has been long hours and a long schedule. ... By going to those dark places day after day, hour after hour, you can feel pretty spent by the end of the day. If my kids aren't around, and Naomi [Watts] at the end of the night to remind me how really great my life is, it can get dark. It's something that I have to bear in mind. I realize how important it's going to be for me, if we continue this show, that I'm able to keep my family around me. And [that] I'm able to do some kind of meditation practice that kind of leaves work at work and keeps home separate."

On how TV work differs from plays
    "The character sort of begins to take on a life of its own, and the show begins to take on a life of its own, and you sort of work almost in parallel with it. In other words, you'll do an episode, and then you'll watch the episode, or you'll think about the episode, process that information, and that will inform the next episode whereas in a play ... you're doing the same narrative arc every night, and you're starting in the same place and ending up in the same place. The interesting thing about doing serial television is that the character is growing separate from you, the character and the show are growing, and you get to observe that and participate with it in a way that I think is actually really exciting for an actor."

On NFL films and how they inform his HBO boxing voice-over work
    "The NFL Films guys had the very, very brilliant idea that there was a classical-theater element to football. ... They would shoot these weekly shows in this epic fashion in slow motion and things like that, and have that wonderful voice of John Facenda comparing these football players to demigods and characters from mythology; it was very effective. And I know it captured my imagination as a child, so I was thrilled when I was paired with a writer as talented as Aaron Cohen, who wanted to do that same kind of dramatic arc with his work."
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Liev Shreiber is so damn hot jeez! Yes his wife's accent is driving me up a damn wall but it is pretty intense and I'm enjoying it so far.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I think the wife is Irish. I haven't watched this show, but I've seen her before. Maybe that explains the accent. Is she trying to have an American accent?

it's a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE BAHston accent:
    Ah, the dreaded Boston accent. There's the good. There's the bad. There's also the not-sure-if-that's-good-or-that's-just-how–Mark Wahlberg–actually-talks. Now with Showtime's newest drama, Ray Donovan, a new contender has stepped up to the (Bawston Red Sawks) plate. Paula Malcomson, playing Donovan's wife, Abby, has immediately emerged as one of this year's worst, complaining about her husband's absence and tragically pronouncing "Jersey Shore" like an actual spring break reveller doing a drunken impression of Ben Affleck.
    In comparison, box-office winnner The Heat features an entire family full of Boston natives — including Melissa McCarthy. They don't have fantastic Boston accents, but mixing up "narc" and "knock" does seems to be problem some Bostonians might have.
    Clip of offending accent here: Watch Paula Malcomson
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

She's a good actress but that accent is just bad.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

careful, just as you get into the show, Showtime may cancel it out of the blue, as they did my beloved "Borgias."

bite your tongue!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    careful, just as you get into the show, Showtime may cancel it out of the blue, as they did my beloved "Borgias."
    I guess HBO does the same. My SO and I just finished watching Deadwood a few months back and it was clear from the finale that it was meant to be a season finale, not a series.

Elite Member

You haters gonna hate but Blake Lively nailed the Boston accent in The Town. She's one of the few. Anyone remember Rob Morrow's accent in Quiz Show?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I don't know how they will follow up next season but I really, REALLY enjoyed this season! Jon Voight totally kicked ass... as did Liev. MAN, this season was AWESOME!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

I really loved the end scene as well with Ray and his family on the beach.

I didn't know the season ended, guess I missed the last episode. Will have to check On Demand. Thanks for not ruining the ending!
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

spoiler alert: They ALL DIE...

just kidding
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(_)П

Thread Information