Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dilligaf
  • 2 Post By lacs

Thread: Under the Dome - CBS

Default Under the Dome - CBS

Is anyone else going to watch? I think it looks great, even though I am not a Stephen King fan. Has anyone read the book?
    Last edited by Froogy; June 24th, 2013 at 08:12 PM.

When? NEVERmind tonight at ten!!

I enjoyed the book and have the dvr set to record.

Ok so far there are a couple of hunks. I am happy!

I'm just too tired tonight to get into anything. I really want to watch it, so I'm hoping that it'll just be on their website later.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I just finished the book last week and was really disappointed with all the changes they made for the TV show, ostensibly just to make a buck. Looks like they shot most of their wad in the pilot--what's left?

First things first: that poor cow.

I wonder how they are planning on running this show, I read that they consider making it into a serial if the ratings are good, opposed to a mini series like how most King books are made. If they are sticking relatively close to the source material, it could be interesting. I'll continue to watch for now, the first episode was decent enough.

i tuned in part way through. The part i caught was when the 3 women in the car were fighting, and one turned on the radio and the announcer told people to pull over immediately.
    this truck didn't and smashed into the dome. so of course they stopped then. it seemed interesting but i think i should have watched it from the beginning.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I will give it another episode but lately have been disappointed in these overhyped new series that look good but then suck like Following and Revolution.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

It makes me think of The Simpsons Movie.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Oh dear. I feel that sense of disappointment creeping in.

Bronze Member

This is what Stephen King wrote on his website regarding the changes from the book-
    A Letter From Stephen:

For those of you out there in Constant Reader Land who are feeling miffed because the TV version of Under the Dome varies considerably from the book version, here’s a little story.

Near the end of his life, and long after his greatest novels were written, James M. Cain agreed to be interviewed by a student reporter who covered culture and the arts for his college newspaper. This young man began his time with Cain by bemoaning how Hollywood had changed books such as The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity. Before he could properly get into his rant, the old man interrupted him by pointing to a shelf of books behind his desk. “The movies didn’t change them a bit, son,” he said. “They’re all right up there. Every word is the same as when I wrote them.”

I feel the same way about Under the Dome. If you loved the book when you first read it, it’s still there for your perusal. But that doesn’t mean the TV series is bad, because it’s not. In fact, it’s very good. And, if you look closely, you’ll see that most of my characters are still there, although some have been combined and others have changed jobs. That’s also true of the big stuff, like the supermarket riot, the reason for all that propane storage, and the book’s thematic concerns with diminishing resources.

Many of the changes wrought by Brian K. Vaughan and his team of writers have been of necessity, and I approved of them wholeheartedly. Some have been occasioned by their plan to keep the Dome in place over Chester’s Mill for months instead of little more than a week, as is the case in the book. Other story modifications are slotting into place because the writers have completely re-imagined the source of the Dome.

That such a re-imagining had to take place was my only serious concern when the series was still in the planning stages, and that concern was purely practical. If the solution to the mystery were the same on TV as in the book, everyone would know it in short order, which would spoil a lot of the fun (besides, plenty of readers didn’t like my solution, anyway). By the same token, it would spoil things if you guys knew the arcs of the characters in advance. Some who die in the book—Angie, for instance—live in the TV version of Chester’s Mill…at least for a while. And some who live in the book may not be as lucky during the run of the show. Just sayin’.

Listen, I’ve always been a situational writer. My idea of what to do with a plot is to shoot it before it can breed. It’s true that when I start a story, I usually have a general idea of where it’s going to finish up, but in many cases I end up in a different place entirely (for instance, I fully expected Ben Mears to die at the end of ’Salem’s Lot, and Susannah Dean was supposed to pop off at the end of Song of Susannah). “The book is the boss,” Alfred Bester used to say, and what that means to me is the situation is the boss. If you play fair with the characters—and let them play their parts according to their strengths and weaknesses—you can never go wrong. It’s impossible.
    There’s only one element of my novel that absolutely had to be the same in the novel and the show, and that’s the Dome itself. It’s best to think of that novel and what you’re seeing week-to-week on CBS as a case of fraternal twins. Both started in the same creative womb, but you will be able to tell them apart. Or, if you’re of a sci-fi bent, think of them as alternate versions of the same reality.

As for me, I’m enjoying the chance to watch that alternate reality play out; I still think there’s no place like Dome.

As for you, Constant Reader, feel free to take the original down from your bookshelf anytime you want. Nothing between the covers has changed a bit.
    Stephen King
    June 27th, 2013
    Welcome to StephenKing.com
    OrangeSlice and gas_chick like this.

Thread Information