• 2 Post By MmeVertigina

Thread: Navajo Nation Upset at Comment Made on CBS' "Mike and Molly"

Default Navajo Nation Upset at Comment Made on CBS' "Mike and Molly"

CBS' 'Mike and Molly' joke
    about 'drunk Indians' offends Navajo Nation

By Jenny Kane jkane@daily-times.comdaily-times.com

Updated: 03/04/2013 01:55:29 PM
    MST

FARMINGTON — The Navajo Nation was less than amused by a “drunk Indians” joke made on a CBS sitcom last week.

On an episode of “Mike and Molly,” Mike's mother, played by Rondi Reed, says, “You ever been to Arizona? It's just a furnace full of drunk
    Indians.” “Really? That's not what it says on their license plate,” responds Molly, played by Melissa McCarthy.

The Navajo Nation is demanding an apology after hearing about the joke, calling it insensitive and despicable.

“Alcoholism isn't funny. It isn't pretty,” said Erny Zah, spokesman for the Office of the President and Vice President of the Navajo Nation. “It's just
    sickening. It's awful.” An apology may not even suffice, Zah said, as the joke is beyond offensive to many members of the Navajo Nation and other Native American tribes in the United States.

While the joke is based on high rates of alcoholism within many Native American communities, the issues that accompany alcoholism are serious.
    Rates of child abuse, domestic violence, and sexual assault all are incredibly high on many of the reservations across the country, according to reports from the U.S. Department of Justice, including the Navajo reservation.

To see the clip of the show, visit
    Navajo Nation -- 'Mike & Molly' Joke Is RACIST!!! | TMZ.com For more
    news about the Navajo Nation, follow reporter Jenny Kane on Twitter

CBS' 'Mike and Molly' joke about 'drunk Indians' offends Navajo Nation - Farmington Daily Times

I agree with this: “Alcoholism isn't funny. It isn't pretty,” said Erny Zah, spokesman for the Office of the President and Vice President of the Navajo Nation. “It's just
    sickening. It's awful.” An apology may not even suffice, Zah said, as the joke is beyond offensive to many members of the Navajo Nation and other Native American tribes in the United States.

The joke was not funny at all, to me.

Same here. I just can't understand the ignorance, not to mention the insensitivity of writing something like that into a show. The word "Indian" is an antiquated term anyhow. "First Nations" or "First Peoples" is much more accurate.
    Bluebonnet and Honeythorn like this.

Jokes are made on this show about every sterotype. Mike's mom in particular is a crusty old broad and is the kind of women who would make these inappropriate comments. And it is a show in the US and we do not call them First Nation. They are native Americans if you want to be politically correct. They make fun of fat people too. Should that be stopped too?
    Last edited by sluce; March 9th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I've never seen the show. I just thought it was a joke in poor taste. My family is partially NA (Cherokee-Chiricahua *Apache). But even if I were white as a daisy I doubt it would have been funny to me, just not my type of humor. I also don't get the punch line as I have no idea what an AZ plate says.

people are getting so touchy any more. if a joke is funny, its funny. if it isn't, then it isn't. Everything is so damned PC
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'm also part NA and was not at all offended. The fact is that alcoholism is a problem in the community. I'm also half Italian and don't get offended by the stereotypical jokes that I must be connected to the mafia.

The line about the license plate is because each state often includes their slogan on the plates. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_slogans
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I'm also part Native American with a history of alcoholism in my family, and I couldn't care less about the comment. If I let every little thing like that bother me, I'd need an apology every single time any person made a drunk/incestuous/barefoot&pregnant/ignorant/trashy/uneducated redneck joke as well. And I just don't have time for that. Most jokes come at someone or something's expense and there's usually a small bite of truth in them that makes light of something not-so-funny. It's always going to hit a little close to home for some and just be a laugh for others.
    Banshee likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I hear these kind of jokes aimed at the Irish all the time, were is the outrage for that?
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I'm Irish and German with a little Polish thrown in for fun and come from a long line of drunks. My heritage is a walking punchline. Doesn't bother me.

It bothers me. I have family who are deeply affected by this, and the reasons why are diverse and political and I don't come to GR to discuss politics for the most part. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I think it was a tasteless, offensive "Joke". I like my jokes to be funny, this was just a slam.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    and there's usually a small bite of truth in them that makes light of something not-so-funny. It's always going to hit a little close to home for some and just be a laugh for others.
    My issue comes from WHY there is a truth to this. It's not a funny reason.

Also, from what I have heard from my husband, who did live in AZ at one point, is that AZ is partially made up of transplants from other states, and is sort of a state for transients. This was his view anyway. Most of my family is in NM and CA, I only know a small bit about AZ. I'll check out your license plate link.

You have every right to be offended, and I support your right to claim your outrage. That's part of free speech. But so is the right to make an offensive joke. Just because you're outraged, doesn't give you superiority over the person who made the joke. This isn't addressed specifically to you, Mme Vertigina, because I don't see you trying to police the jokes being said, just stating your opinion. I've just noticed that people tend to think that because they say "I'm offended," they should automatically win the argument. I've found comedy is self-regulating. If it's too offensive, it will turn people off and do poorly, which is "punishment" enough. YMMV.
    sluce and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Yeah, not trying to win any argument, you are right. As I said, everyone has their opinion, I am of the same opinion of the people who complained about this joke. Exactly
    Rusalka and Kathie_Moffett like this.

Thread Information