Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Shameless.. Come on, I know some of you MUST be watching!!

Default Shameless.. Come on, I know some of you MUST be watching!!

I've been watching this one from the get-go and I KNOW some of you must be watching too. It's got William H. Macy (phenomenal in this, I tell ya), Emmy Rossum...

Oscar®-nominated William H. Macy and Emmy Rossum star in this fiercely engaging and fearlessly twisted series. Chicagoan Frank Gallagher is the proud single dad of six smart, industrious, independent kids, who without him would be...perhaps better off. When Frank's not at the bar spending what little money they have, he's passed out on the floor. But the kids have found ways to grow up in spite of him. They may not be like any family you know, but they make no apologies for being exactly who they are.

Sadly, they remind me a lot of my own fucked up family! Seriously, the mother is bi-polar, the father is an alcoholic/addict, Fiona (the oldest sister) is taking care of the other five siblings - who range in age from 17 to 2. It's apparently a remake of a British series of the same name... so, any of you Brits watch it or did you watch the old series?????
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I love the show, but haven't been watching regularly. I think it is mesmerizing, and maybe the only downside is that it seems like there is almost TOO much to take in.

I think Rossum does an amazing job. I said on another thread that I almost can't believe it's the same person.

Macy has said he is having the time of his life playing the role. He says that he has to intervene periodically with the writers in order to keep them from making him too reprehensible.

The guy who plays Lip - love him

I watched the first two seasons on-demand so I could watch season 3 in real-time. I wanted to watch for William H. Macy but stayed for the rest of them.

Love Emmy Rossum...and yes the guy who plays Lip, and Joan Cusak is such a hoot. Kev and V (the guy who plays Kev is married to Sara Shahi, which shocked the hell out of me), all of them really. And I'm probably the only one who's happy to see Karen back, that sociopathic bitch cracks me up. But Steve/Jimmy is pissing me off bigtime.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The entire cast is just awesome. I love it.
    William H. Macy - Frank Gallagher Father to the six Gallagher children. He is a selfish alcoholic and completely narcissistic, and has done nothing but collect his disability checks (illegally) and drink heavily for years. He begins a relationship with Sheila after he discovers she gets maximum disability benefits for her agoraphobia. Although he is Fiona, Lip, Debbie, Carl, and Liam's biological father, he is not Ian's. He often self-righteously pontificates about political and social issues, yet spends most of his time developing schemes to cheat the system and take advantage of others in order to make money. He pays little attention to his children, but occasionally displays care and concern for them in drastic circumstances.
    Emmy Rossum as Fiona Gallagher The eldest of the Gallagher children (21). Because of her mother's absence and Frank's neglect, most of the responsibility of child-rearing falls on her shoulders; this forced her to drop out of high school in her junior year. She works a few dead-end, minimum wage jobs to bring in money and support her five siblings. Though often stressed out and exhausted by her responsibilities, she never fails to perform them. She is prone to being overly selfless, and sometimes needs to be reminded to look out for her own happiness as well as that of her siblings. At the close of season two she does get her GED and begins to take interest in more serious jobs.
    Justin Chatwin as Steve Wilton/Jimmy Lishman A young man relentlessly pursuing Fiona, going to great lengths to win her over. He owns expensive things and throws money around liberally, which Fiona finds off-putting, until she discovers he steals cars for a living. It is later discovered that his real name is Jimmy, and he comes from a wealthy family. In season 2 he marries a daughter of a Brazilian mafia mob leader, though he is not attached to her. Fiona and Jimmy resume their relationship at the end of season 2.
    Jeremy Allen White as Phillip "Lip" Gallagher The second Gallagher child (17) and the most academic. He is a straight A student. He uses his intelligence in various odd jobs to make money, such as running an ice cream truck in the summer that sells beer and marijuana, or taking the SATs for fellow students (often scoring a 2400, a perfect score). Despite his above average intelligence, he is not considered responsible, and is frequently shown smoking cigarettes, using marijuana, drinking alcohol, and having unprotected sex. He has a strong bond with his younger brother Ian, and is the first family member to know that Ian is gay. Lip develops a torrid relationship with Karen after helping her in math, and soon falls in love with her. However, after Karen marries Jody and gives birth to a baby belonging neither to Lip or Jody, Lip begins a relationship with Mandy Milkovich.
    Cameron Monaghan as Ian Gallagher The third Gallagher child (16) and (according to Frank) the most like their mother. He participates in Army ROTC at school and works at a local grocery store. He is gay, but only a handful of people (Fiona, Frank, Monica, Mickey, Mandy, and Lip) know about it. He had a furtive gay relationship with the Muslim grocer, Kash, his employer. He is currently pursuing a relationship with Mickey Milkovich. He is not Frank's son, but of Monica and one of Frank's brothers. His middle name is Clayton.

Emma Kenney as Debbie Gallagher One of the middle Gallagher children (11), Debbie is kind, helpful, and has a good heart. She's willing to bring her baby brother to school for show and tell when there's no one else to watch him, put a pillow under her father's head when he's passed out on the floor, and collect money for charity year round – only some of which she keeps for herself.

Ethan Cutkosky as Carl Gallagher The second youngest Gallagher child (10). He shares a room with older brothers Lip and Ian, who try to keep their more adult interests from him. Carl is often in trouble at school for attacking other students, and his hobbies include bringing stray animals home and killing them. He also plays football on the team that Steve coaches.
    Brennan Kane Johnson & Blake Alexander Johnson as Liam Gallagher The youngest of the Gallagher children (2), he is black despite having two white parents.

Shanola Hampton as Veronica Fisher The Gallaghers' neighbor. She is Fiona's best friend and confidante, and often gives her advice concerning relationships, caring for her siblings, and caring for herself. Veronica is always willing and able to lend a hand and had hoped to pursue a medical career before being fired from the hospital for stealing medical supplies. After being fired, she works as a webcam girl.
    Steve Howey
    as Kevin "Kev" Ball The bartender at "The Alibi Room" (the one bar where Frank has not been banned) and the Gallaghers' neighbor and friend. Though frequently exasperated by Frank's lifestyle, he gives him drinks on credit and cashes his disability checks for him. He and Veronica have a successful relationship, though he is technically married to another woman who left him prior. He comes from living with several foster families, and is dyslexic.
    Laura Slade Wiggins as Karen Jackson (Regular season 1-2, Recurring season 3) Lip's tutoring student and the neighborhood bad girl. She begins a casual relationship with Lip, but due to her promiscuous nature, she refuses to make any real commitment, leading to a complicated relationship between the two. Her mother, Sheila, is a doting agoraphobe and her father, Eddie, is a straight-laced bus driver and devout Christian who left their family in the pilot episode. He later tries to reconnect with Karen by having her attend his church's purity ball in exchange for a car. At the end of season 2 Karen gives birth to a baby with Down's Syndrome. Karen runs away from home when her mother elects to take the baby and returns mid-way through season 3.
    Noel Fisher as Mickey Milkovich (Recurring season 1-2, Regular season 3) The aggressive and sometimes psychopathic older brother of Mandy. Mickey is gay, but keeps it a closely guarded secret to avoid public ridicule and the wrath of his father. He and Ian begin a relationship when Ian goes to Mickey's house to settle his repeated and open acts of shoplifting at the Kash and Grab.
    Jane Levy (Recurring season 1) and Emma Greenwell (Recurring season 2, Regular season 3) as Mandy Milkovich The bad girl of Ian's class and Mickey's sister, though she also possesses a sweeter side. She is offended initially when Ian rejects her after hitting on him, but when she later discovers his sexuality, she suggests acting as his girlfriend to help hide it. Mandy is noted to be promiscuous and proud of it as she seduces Lip in the second season, before agreeing to do the same to Jody in an attempt to break him and Karen up. Despite acting as Ian's girlfriend, she has no idea that he is in fact having sex with her brother.
    Zach McGowan as Jody Silverman (Recurring season 2, Regular season 3) A man Karen meets at Sex Addicts Anonymous and later marries. Jody is a keen tattoo artist, often seen looking for work and helping around the house. He becomes extremely attached to Sheila and calls her 'Mom', but is unaware that Karen breaks her celibacy and is cheating on him with Lip. Though good-natured, he is somewhat absent-minded.
    Joan Cusack as Sheila Jackson An agoraphobic germophobe. She is Karen's mother and Eddie's wife. It is shown that Sheila developed her conditions sometime when Karen was young, and has tried to overcome them unsuccessfully for years. Frank seduces her in order to live in her home, taking advantage of her cooking, disability checks and bedroom hospitality. Like Jody, Sheila is a kind and caring person, but also a bit empty-headed. After Frank moves in Sheila tries to muster the courage to overcome her agoraphobia and nearly makes it to The Alibi Room, but because of a near-fatal accident at the close of season 2, Sheila stays entirely on her own property. In Season 3 she begins to overcome her agoraphobia, going outside for routine chores like taking out the trash. Furthermore, Sheila also adopts Karen's baby.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I watched the first two seasons on-demand so I could watch season 3 in real-time. I wanted to watch for William H. Macy but stayed for the rest of them.

Love Emmy Rossum...and yes the guy who plays Lip, and Joan Cusak is such a hoot. Kev and V (the guy who plays Kev is married to Sara Shahi, which shocked the hell out of me), all of them really. And I'm probably the only one who's happy to see Karen back, that sociopathic bitch cracks me up. But Steve/Jimmy is pissing me off bigtime.
    Just wanted to add that I like Justin Chatwin in his role, too. And his relationship with his dad (played by Harry Hamlin) was done pretty well, too. Hamlin was very effective as the down-low dad.

I cracked up when Lip asked Kev if he could do something with his W-2, and Kev goes, "Sure. What's a W-2?"

And Lip's gf and her younger sister with her "girl p*nis".

We had a couple feral families (almost) like this in my neighborhood when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

I'm kinda glad to see Karen back. I'll be sad to see poor Mandy Malkovich get hurt. I wish Monica would go ahead and drop dead. It's too bad they saved her last Thanksgiving. And YES, Steve/Jimmy is pissing me off too. The whiny little self-centered prick should have NEVER gotten involved with someone like Fiona who has no clue how to put herself ahead of her family!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    П(•_•)П

I watched some of the British series. I can't quite imagine what a US version of it would be like so I may have to find an episode of it to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'm kinda glad to see Karen back. I'll be sad to see poor Mandy Malkovich get hurt. I wish Monica would go ahead and drop dead. It's too bad they saved her last Thanksgiving. And YES, Steve/Jimmy is pissing me off too. The whiny little self-centered prick should have NEVER gotten involved with someone like Fiona who has no clue how to put herself ahead of her family!
    You're right, poor Mandy. She just wants someone to love her, but Lip is a masochist when it comes to Karen.

Steve/Jimmy has nothing to offer Fiona at this point anyway, he's just one more mouth to feed now. There are only so many watches he can pawn until he's totally broke. He doesn't seem interested in any work that doesn't involve car theft or drug dealing, and he can't do that anymore. I wish he'd just go back to his vapid wife and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I watched some of the British series. I can't quite imagine what a US version of it would be like so I may have to find an episode of it to watch!
    From what I've read, the first season's plots were pretty much copied of the British version, same characters, just set in Chicago. I think it's starting to veer off now.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Hit By Ban Bus!

I've only been watching since the second ep of this season---3rd? I always kept meaning to watch it----and I love it! It's hilarious AND heartfelt, and so goddamn raunchy at times. Lip is divine, Fiona is feisty, and Frank! Fucking Frank, what can you say?

I don't feel like I've missed anything really because each ep contains just enough background information to help put it all together piece by piece, but eventually I'll go back and start from the beginning.

i keep meaning to watch this. i adore william h. macy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I caught an ep of this when I was in the States a month ago - I was preparing to hate it because I can't stand the British version, but I loved it! Want to get the boxset now.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

Elite Member

It's been sitting my Netflix cue for AGES. Never read much about it, until now. Seems like I have a great new show to plow through.
    bonnie lass likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I enjoy the show and the actors are really good, but lately it's become a little too raunchy for me. I mean V and her mom? Jody blowing himself at the end of last weeks episode? I think they could do without that stuff. Otherwise, I like it.
    bonnie lass likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by barbiedoll25 View Post
    I enjoy the show and the actors are really good, but lately it's become a little too raunchy for me. I mean V and her mom? Jody blowing himself at the end of last weeks episode? I think they could do without that stuff. Otherwise, I like it.
    Oscar Wilde said, "Sex is the theater of the poor". So, I think the behavior kind of dovetails with the setting.

My best gf turned me on to this show. It's great stuff.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information