Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 2013 Academy Award Nominees Announced

Default 2013 Academy Award Nominees Announced

'Lincoln' leads Oscars with 12 nominations

'Argo,' 'Silver Linings Playbook' join the race for Best Picture
    BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — The Civil War saga "Lincoln" leads the Academy Awards with 12 nominations, including best picture, director for Steven Spielberg and acting honors for Daniel Day-Lewis, Sally Field and Tommy Lee Jones.
    Also among the nine nominees for best picture Thursday: the old-age love story "Amour"; the Iran hostage thriller "Argo"; the independent hit "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; the slave-revenge narrative "Django Unchained"; the musical "Les Miserables"; the shipwreck story "Life of Pi"; the lost-souls romance "Silver Linings Playbook"; and the Osama bin Laden manhunt chronicle "Zero Dark Thirty."
    "Life of Pi" surprisingly ran second with 11 nominations, ahead of "Zero Dark Thirty" and "Les Miserables," which had been considered potential front-runners.
    More surprising were snubs in the directing category, where three favorites missed out: Ben Affleck for "Argo" and past Oscar winners Kathryn Bigelow for "Zero Dark Thirty" and Tom Hooper for "Les Miserables." Bigelow was the first woman ever the win the directing Oscar for 2009's "The Hurt Locker," while Hooper won a year later for "The King's Speech."
    The best-picture category also had surprising omissions. The acclaimed first-love tale "Moonrise Kingdom" was left out and only got one nomination, for original screenplay. Also snubbed for best-picture was "The Master," a critical favorite that did manage three acting nominations for Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman.
    Two-time winner Spielberg earned his seventh directing nomination, and also in the mix are past winner Ang Lee for "Life of Pi" and past nominee David O. Russell for "Silver Linings Playbook." The other slots went to surprise picks who are first-time nominees: Michael Haneke for his French-language "Amour" and Benh Zeitlin for "Beasts of the Southern Wild."
    "Amour" also was a best-picture surprise. The film, which won the top prize at last May's Cannes Film Festival, mainly had been considered a favorite in the foreign-language category, where it also was nominated. "Amour" had five nominations, including original screenplay and best-actress for Emmanuelle Riva.
    The year's second-biggest box-office hit, "The Dark Knight Rises," was shut out entirely, even for visual effects. The omission of its predecessor, "The Dark Knight," from best-picture consideration for 2008, was largely responsible for the expansion of the Oscar category from five nominees to 10 the following year. "The Dark Knight" had earned eight nominations and won two Oscars.
    Chronicling Abraham Lincoln's final months as he engineers passage of the 13th Amendment abolishing slavery, "Lincoln" stars best-actor contender Day-Lewis in a monumental performance as the 16th president, supporting-actress nominee Field as the notoriously headstrong Mary Todd Lincoln and supporting-actor prospect Jones as abolitionist firebrand Thaddeus Stevens.
    Joining Day-Lewis in the best-actor field are Bradley Cooper as a psychiatric patient trying to get his life back together in "Silver Linings Playbook"; Hugh Jackman as Victor Hugo's tragic hero Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables"; Phoenix as a Navy vet who falls in with a cult in "The Master"; and Denzel Washington as a boozy airline pilot in "Flight."
    Cooper had been a bit of a longshot. John Hawkes, a potential best-actor favorite, missed out for his role as a man in an iron lung aiming to lose his virginity in "The Sessions."
    Nominated for best actress are Jessica Chastain as a CIA operative hunting bin Laden in "Zero Dark Thirty"; Jennifer Lawrence as a troubled young widow struggling to heal in "Silver Linings Playbook"; Riva as an ailing woman tended by her husband in "Amour"; Quvenzhane Wallis as a spirited girl on the Louisiana delta in "Beasts of the Southern Wild"; and Naomi Watts as a mother caught up in a devastating tsunami in "The Impossible."
    Best actress had a wild age range: Riva is the oldest nominee ever in the category at 85, while Wallis is the youngest ever at 9.
    Along with Field, supporting-actress nominees are Adams as a cult leader's devoted wife in "The Master"; Anne Hathaway as an outcast mother reduced to prostitution in "Les Miserables"; Helen Hunt as a sex surrogate in "The Sessions"; and Jacki Weaver as an unstable man's doting mom in "Silver Linings Playbook."
    Besides Jones, the supporting-actor contenders are Alan Arkin as a wily Hollywood producer in "Argo"; Robert De Niro as a football-obsessed patriarch in "Silver Linings Playbook"; Hoffman as a dynamic cult leader in "The Master"; and Christoph Waltz as a genteel bounty hunter in "Django Unchained."
    "Family Guy" creator Seth MacFarlane, who will host the Feb. 24 Oscars, joined Emma Stone to announce the Oscar lineup, and he scored a nomination himself, original song for "Everybody Needs a Best Friend," the tune he co-wrote for his big-screen directing debut "Ted."
    "That's kind of cool I got nominated," MacFarlane deadpanned at the announcement. "I get to go to the Oscars."
    Walt Disney predictably dominated the animated-feature category with three of the five nominees: "Brave," ''Frankenweenie" and "Wreck-It Ralph." Also nominated were "ParaNorman" and "The Pirates! Band of Misfits."
    "I'm absolutely blown away," Rich Moore, director of "Wreck-It Ralph" said by phone. "It is weird at 5:30 in the morning to hear Emma Stone say your name. It's surreal."
    "Lincoln" is Spielberg's best awards prospect since his critical peak in the 1990s, when he won best-picture and directing Oscars for "Schindler's List" and a second directing Oscar for "Saving Private Ryan." The 12 nominations for "Lincoln" matched Spielberg's personal best on "Schindler's List," which won seven Oscars.
    Spielberg's latest film could vault him, Day-Lewis and Field to new heights among Hollywood's super-elite of multiple Oscar winners.
    A best-picture win for "Lincoln" would be Spielberg's second, while another directing win would be his third, a feat achieved only by Frank Capra and William Wyler, who each earned three directing Oscars, and John Ford, who received four.
    "Lincoln" also was the ninth best-picture nominee Spielberg has directed, moving him into a tie for second-place with Ford. Only Wyler directed more best-picture nominees, with 13.
    Day-Lewis and Field both have two lead-acting Oscars already, he for "My Left Foot" and "There Will Be Blood" and she for "Norma Rae" and "Places in the Heart." A third Oscar for either would put them in rare company with previous triple winners Ingrid Bergman, Walter Brennan, Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep. Katharine Hepburn is the record-holder with four acting Oscars.
    An Oscar for Jones would be his second supporting-actor prize; he previously won for "The Fugitive."
    "Lincoln" composer John Williams — whose five Oscars include three for the music of three earlier Spielberg films, "Jaws," ''E.T. the Extra-terrestrial" and "Schindler's List" — earned his 43rd nomination for best score, extending his all-time record in the category.
    The Oscars feature a best-picture field that ranges from five to 10 films depending on a complex formula of ballots from the 5,856 voting members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
    Winners for the 85th Oscars will be announced Feb. 24 at a ceremony aired live on ABC from Hollywood's Dolby Theatre.

I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

oh look, a masturbatory, bloated spielberg biopic leading the nominations, while tarantino gets snubbed yet again. i'm, like, totally shocked.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Sput! Lincoln is getting raves from every direction (hee) They were wondering if Quentin wasn't left off because of the Controversy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

of course that's why.
    it's funny that both films touch upon slavery, except one (tarantino) is messy, controversial, complex, while the other (lincoln) is about a white dude who freed the slaves - very straightforward, non-controversial and safe enough for the hollywood mainstream to pat themselves on the back and feel awesome about themselves for giving it an oscar.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Both films need to be seen!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I've heard Lincoln becomes quite boring and drags. Tarrantion is robbed again. Like Sput said, big shock.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Lincoln was a snooze fest.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

And it left out all the vampires!

Elite Member

Sput, what did you expect? Spielberg pleases Hollywood with his gasbag, weighty, one note, clangy, boring, pompous, propaganda films. No one leaves a Spielberg flick with a new thought in their heads, but people always leave feeling safer in their own prejudices and worth.

Hell, I hope Tarantino NEVER wins anything from The Fucking Academy. That's a higher honor at his level, among the "dangerous" directors who get ignored.
    Sasha and sputnik like this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

2013 Oscar Nominations

Performance by an actor in a leading role
    Bradley Cooper in “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Daniel Day-Lewis in “Lincoln”
    Hugh Jackman in “Les Misérables”
    Joaquin Phoenix in “The Master”
    Denzel Washington in “Flight”

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
    Alan Arkin in “Argo”
    Robert De Niro in “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Philip Seymour Hoffman in “The Master”
    Tommy Lee Jones in “Lincoln”
    Christoph Waltz in “Django Unchained”

Performance by an actress in a leading role
    Jessica Chastain in “Zero Dark Thirty”
    Jennifer Lawrence in “Silver Linings Playbook”
    Emmanuelle Riva in “Amour”
    Quvenzhané Wallis in “Beasts of the Southern Wild”
    Naomi Watts in “The Impossible”

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
    Amy Adams in “The Master”
    Sally Field in “Lincoln”
    Anne Hathaway in “Les Misérables”
    Helen Hunt in “The Sessions”
    Jacki Weaver in “Silver Linings Playbook”

Best animated feature film of the year
    “Brave” Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
    “Frankenweenie” Tim Burton
    “ParaNorman” Sam Fell and Chris Butler
    “The Pirates! Band of Misfits” Peter Lord
    “Wreck-It Ralph” Rich Moore

Achievement in cinematography
    “Anna Karenina” Seamus McGarvey
    “Django Unchained” Robert Richardson
    “Life of Pi” Claudio Miranda
    “Lincoln” Janusz Kaminski
    “Skyfall” Roger Deakins
    Achievement in costume design
    “Anna Karenina” Jacqueline Durran
    “Les Misérables” Paco Delgado
    “Lincoln” Joanna Johnston
    “Mirror Mirror” Eiko Ishioka
    “Snow White and the Huntsman” Colleen Atwood

Achievement in directing
    “Amour” Michael Haneke
    “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Benh Zeitlin
    “Life of Pi” Ang Lee
    “Lincoln” Steven Spielberg
    “Silver Linings Playbook” David O. Russell

Best documentary feature
    “5 Broken Cameras”
    Emad Burnat and Guy Davidi
    “The Gatekeepers”
    “How to Survive a Plague”
    “The Invisible War”
    “Searching for Sugar Man”

Best documentary short subject
    “Inocente”
    Sean Fine and Andrea Nix Fine
    “Kings Point”
    Sari Gilman and Jedd Wider
    “Mondays at Racine”
    Cynthia Wade and Robin Honan
    “Open Heart”
    Kief Davidson and Cori Shepherd Stern
    “Redemption”
    Jon Alpert and Matthew O’Neill

Achievement in film editing
    “Argo” William Goldenberg
    “Life of Pi” Tim Squyres
    “Lincoln” Michael Kahn
    “Silver Linings Playbook” Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers
    “Zero Dark Thirty” Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg

Best foreign language film of the year
    “Amour” Austria
    “Kon-Tiki” Norway
    “No” Chile
    “A Royal Affair” Denmark
    “War Witch” Canada

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling
    “Hitchcock”
    Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel
    “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey”
    Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane
    “Les Misérables”
    Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
    “Anna Karenina” Dario Marianelli
    “Argo” Alexandre Desplat
    “Life of Pi” Mychael Danna
    “Lincoln” John Williams
    “Skyfall” Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
    “Before My Time” from “Chasing Ice”
    Music and Lyric by J. Ralph
    “Everybody Needs A Best Friend” from “Ted”
    Music by Walter Murphy; Lyric by Seth MacFarlane
    “Pi’s Lullaby” from “Life of Pi”
    Music by Mychael Danna; Lyric by Bombay Jayashri
    “Skyfall” from “Skyfall”
    Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
    “Suddenly” from “Les Misérables”
    Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

Best motion picture of the year
    “Amour”
    “Argo” Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, Producers
    “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald, Producers
    “Django Unchained” Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers
    “Les Misérables” Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
    “Life of Pi” Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers
    “Lincoln” Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
    “Silver Linings Playbook” Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
    “Zero Dark Thirty” Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers

Achievement in production design
    “Anna Karenina”
    Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
    Production Design: Dan Hennah; Set Decoration: Ra Vincent and Simon Bright
    “Les Misérables”
    Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson
    “Life of Pi”
    Production Design: David Gropman; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
    “Lincoln”
    Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson

Best animated short film
    “Adam and Dog” Minkyu Lee
    “Fresh Guacamole” PES
    “Head over Heels” Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O’Reilly
    “Maggie Simpson in “The Longest Daycare”" David Silverman
    “Paperman” John Kahrs

Best live action short film
    “Asad” Bryan Buckley and Mino Jarjoura
    “Buzkashi Boys” Sam French and Ariel Nasr
    “Curfew” Shawn Christensen
    “Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)” Tom Van Avermaet and Ellen De Waele
    “Henry” Yan England

Achievement in sound editing
    “Argo” Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn
    “Django Unchained” Wylie Stateman
    “Life of Pi” Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton
    “Skyfall” Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers
    “Zero Dark Thirty” Paul N.J. Ottosson

Achievement in sound mixing
    “Argo”
    John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia
    “Les Misérables”
    Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes
    “Life of Pi”
    Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin
    “Lincoln”
    Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins
    “Skyfall”
    Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects
    Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White
    “Life of Pi”
    Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
    “Marvel’s The Avengers”
    Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick
    “Prometheus”
    Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill
    “Snow White and the Huntsman”
    Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson

Adapted screenplay
    “Argo” Screenplay by Chris Terrio
    “Beasts of the Southern Wild” Screenplay by Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
    “Life of Pi” Screenplay by David Magee
    “Lincoln” Screenplay by Tony Kushner
    “Silver Linings Playbook” Screenplay by David O. Russell

Original screenplay
    “Amour” Written by Michael Haneke
    “Django Unchained” Written by Quentin Tarantino
    “Flight” Written by John Gatins
    “Moonrise Kingdom” Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
    “Zero Dark Thirty” Written by Mark Boal

2013 Oscar Nominations Announced! | 2013 Oscars : Just Jared

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Very happy to see Christoph Waltz get nominated. Love that guy.

It's got to be weird when your picture, which you HEAVILY influenced, and possibly created yourself, gets nominated, while you yourself do not. Like being the other child in Sophie's Choice or something....

I hope Christoph Waltz wins again. I'm glad Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway got a nod. Did anyone actually see the LIfe of Pi?

Ben Afflect was robbed.

Thrilled to see so many nominations for Silver Linings Playbook.
    Brookie likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Tarantino should have been nominated! I thought Affleck would get one too but I haven't seen the movie, just based on the reviews.

No Leo again.

This thread's location...I was looking.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information