Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The 15 Biggest Box Office Bombs of 2012

Default The 15 Biggest Box Office Bombs of 2012

The 15 Biggest North American Box Office Bombs of 2012

You can determine a box-office failure in a variety of different ways. You can, for instance, simply look at the box office gross, in which case the biggest box office bomb of 2012 was a film called The Ghastly Love of Johnny X, which starred Will Keenan and Creed Bratton (from “The Office”) and grossed $117. But that’s not really fair because no one expected The Ghastly Love of Johnny X to do well because no one has ever heard of the film. Likewise, Vamps, starring Alicia Silverstone and Krysten Ritter, which was directed by Amy Heckerling (Clueless) could also be considered a huge failure, having grossed only $3,300, which is to say that less than 400 people saw it in theaters. But Vamps was only released in one theater, and stayed there for only two weeks, so you could hardly consider it one of the BIGGEST flops of 2012.You could limit the criteria to movies that only opened in a certain number of theaters, say 600. But in that case, you’d have to include a movie like The Words, starring Bradley Cooper, which made only $11 million. But then again, it only cost $6 million to make, so that’s actually a success. Likewise, another movie starring The Emu, Hit and Run opened in over 2,000 theaters and made only $18 million. However, that movie only costs $2 million to make, so that movie, too, was a financial success.What I did, instead, was to look at the films this year that lost the most amount of money by comparing the North American box-office to the film’s budget. But that’s not entirely fair, either, because some of these movies lost more money than the entire budget of most of 2012’s films. So, I went a step further, and I did MATH. I calculated the percentage of the production budget that the movie made back in North America and ranked the 15 films according to the smallest percentage of their production budget earned back, i.e., the worst return on investment. So, for instance, Cloud Atlas cost $100 million to make and it earned $26 million in North America, so it made 26 percent of its production budget back. That was enough to place it as the 8th biggest failure of the year.In sum: By going through all of 2012’s films, I arrived at the 15 films which earned the smallest percentage of their budget back, which I consider to be The 15 Biggest Box Office Flops of 2012.

What can we surmise from this list? That there WAS someone even less of a draw than Taylor Kitch at the box office this year, and his name was Gerard Butler.

Read more at The 15 Biggest Box Office Bombs of 2012

You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I'm seeing a recurring Taylor Kitsch/Gerard Butler theme.....
    BITTER and card like this.

And Jessica Biel.
    BITTER likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Yeah, I noticed Gerard Butler showed up at least twice.

I haven't heard of most of these turkeys, but "Rock of Ages" flopping couldn't have happened to a more deserving asshole, imo.
    Brookie, OrangeSlice and Butterfly like this.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post

I haven't heard of most of these turkeys, but "Rock of Ages" flopping couldn't have happened to a more deserving asshole, imo.
    Same goes for "Cloud Atlas"
    Sasha likes this.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

I've only heard of about a quarter of these.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Me too. I'm gonna pop down to the local vid... er... DVD shop and see if they have Cold Light of Day. I adore Sigourney.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

I actually liked the Rock of Ages movie and Tiny Tom was good in it. I didn't think Battleship was the worst movie I ever saw either but I had low expectations going in.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

there's actually an actress named genesis rodriguez? seriously? and bitch didn't change her name?

the only one of those turkeys i kinda want to see is 'cloud atlas', but only out of curiosity to see just how badly they fucked up that brilliant, awesome book.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'm kind of bummed that "Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter" did so poorly. I was really looking forward to the following sequels:

"Andrew Johnson - Kraken Killer"
    "William Howard Taft - Midnight Snack Demolisher"
    "The Blair Wilkes Project"
    "Rosemary Todd's Baby"
    "Invasion of the Boothysnatchers"
    "A Nightmare on Pennsylvania Avenue" (although Witchcurlgirl has informed me that this one is actually in production)

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Thank you! I was scrolling down that list feeling very out of touch, glad it's not just me, lol.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I've heard of all of these. Poor Kitsch, I actually want him to do well. Can we guess what will be on this list next year? The Lone Ranger, for it's massively overblown budget, for sure. It's John Carter Part Deux.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

I had wanted to see The Cold Light of Day, but damn if I knew when it was in the theater. I see all kinds of trailers when I go to the movies, but the next time I hear about them, I'm seeing it for sale or running on Netflix. The only ones I never heard of were that Oogie thing and That's My Boy. I vaguely remember The Watch movie being talked about, but I don't remember it playing. After a while, it felt like every movie this year looked pretty much the same as the next.
    You know, a dozen press agents working overtime can do terrible things to the human spirit. ~Cecil B. DeMille
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I just added Cold Light of Day to my netflix, but its not available yet.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I feel so out of touch with movies lately because I'd only heard of about half of these. I know that among the people I hang out with, no one really goes to see movies in theaters anymore in general because it's gotten so expensive, whereas ten years ago we were there almost every weekend.
    OrangeSlice likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information