Thread: Being John Malkovich (1999)

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Talking Being John Malkovich (1999)

I sort of re-fell in love with this film this weekend and can say positively that its on my top 20 fave films of all times and I have a sort of high-brow freaky taste so thats saying something, but this film is one of the most shocking, awesome, and wierdest films out there and unlike a lot of shocking and wierd yet awesome films like Pink Flamingos, I think it has stayed just as shocking and wierd yet immensely captivating even as the years have gone by. And thats hard to do b/c sometimes w/ wierdo, cult, shock, horror types films they get less and less of whatever they are as the years go by and other films out-do what they set out to originally (u kno what i mean?) like Pink Flamingos isn't really that shocking anymore or Rocky Horror, but they are still classic Greats no doubt about that and can be viewed over and over again and loved forever. I think the same goes for Being John Malcovich, and I'm always so suprised at the actors in this film b/c normally I hate Cameron Diaz and find John Cusack incredibly annoying as hell and Catherine Keener is a straight up bitch of all bitches, but since thats what her character is in this film it suits her well and who knew that Cameron Dingbat could act?!? Not only the actors are great, but the story is so "out there" but you never lose focus or your interest in it; you totally stay captivated and glued to the plot and above all else; the film is just funny; you find yourself cringing w/ embarrassment for the characters but also laughing out loud at the absurdity and pure comic genius of the writing and the actors' performances! omg i can't say enough good things about it, but thats all i can think of right now and I know spell-check is my friend, but I'm lazy bitches so lay off! u get the jist of my post

The funniest laugh out loud scene for me was when Willie Garson (Stanford from Sex and the City)has a conversation with John Malcovich in the restaurant before he meets Catherine Keener's character for the first time, hilarious as hell and supposedly totally improvised!
    Guy in Restaurant: 'Scuse me.
    John Malkovich: Mm-hmm?
    Guy in Restaurant: Are you John Malkovich?
    John Malkovich: Yes, I am.
    Guy in Restaurant: Wow! You're really, uh, great in that movie...
    John Malkovich: Oh?
    Guy in Restaurant: ...where you play that retard.
    John Malkovich: Oh, thank you very much. Thank you.
    Guy in Restaurant: I have a cousin... who's a retard.
    John Malkovich: Oh, thank you.
    Guy in Restaurant: Yeah. So, um... as you might imagine, it... means a lot to me to see... retards... portrayed, uh, on the silver screen so compassionately.
    John Malkovich: Well, thank you very much, I appreciate it.
    p.s. Charlie Sheen makes a funny cameo as his pig self:
    John Malkovich: The weird thing is, this Maxine likes to call me "Lotte".
    Charlie: Ouch. That is hot. Maybe she's using you to channel some dead lesbian lover. Sounds like my kind of gal. Let me know when you're done with her, yeah?
    John Malkovich: What are you talking about, "Done with her", man? Tonight really freaked me out!

http://imdb.com/title/tt0120601/photogallery
    http://imdb.com/title/tt0120601/

Default Re: Being John Malkovich (1999)

i love being john malkovich. it is my favourite charlie kaufman film along with human nature. they're amazing, original films.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I watched about 20 minutes of it on cable yesterday, and it made me want to see it again. I watched it the first time only to see what the hype was all about, but ended up just loving it. It's probably in my top 20, too. I can't put my finger on why I like it, though. The story is pretty ridiculous, and there is no action or anything. I suppose it's the characters. Every one of them is so interesting. Especially Maxine, played by Catherine Keener. I am a huge fan of hers because of this movie.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

It's one of the weirdest movies ever! Me and BF caught it on TV one night a few months ago, neither of us had seen it before, and the whole time we were like "wtf?? wtf???"

I'd like to see it again too
    "Sex is not, by default, depraved and dirty. Unless it's really good."
    morons.org

Thread Information