Thread: Horror movies and their evil curses

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Horror movies and their evil curses

Hollywood flicks share curse of death in casts

Eerie incidents coincidental -- or are they?!!!

Heather Adler, CanWest News Service

Published: Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The remake of the classic 1976 devil-incarnate horror The Omen got its very evil release Tuesday, on the most evil of all days -- 06/06/06. While filming the devil-becomes-a-man tale, star Pete Postlethwaite, who plays Father Brennan, was struck by tragedy when his brother reportedly died after drawing three sixes in a card game.

That was only the latest in a long line of incidents that some say are signs of the beast: the original movie was likewise plagued with unexplainable tragedies, including scriptwriter David Seltzer, who was struck by lightning, and star Gregory Peck, who narrowly escaped a plane crash, but wasn't so lucky when it came to his son, who killed himself by way of a single bullet to the head.

If you don't buy into the whole death-becomes-the-actor-who-crosses-the devil thing, take a look at some of the most infamous Hollywood curses of all time. They just might make the skin crawl right off your spine.

ROSEMARY'S BABY Roman Polanski's controversial 1968 film -- about a woman who gives birth to the devil after her husband promises it to a sect of Satanists in return for fame and fortune -- is also surrounded by mysteriously coincidental, horrifying incidents. A year after Rosemary's Baby's release, Polanski's wife, Sharon Tate, was murdered by the Manson Family while she was eight months pregnant with the couple's first child. Also in 1969, producer William Castle was rushed to the hospital with kidney failure and, legend has it, he yelled out, "Rosemary, for God's sake, drop the knife!" while being admitted. Krzysztof Komeda, who scored the movie, happened to be a resident of the same hospital Castle was taken to; he later died of a blood clot, mimicking the death of Rosemary's friend Hutch from the film.

POLTERGEIST The most infamous possession movie is also afflicted with Hollywood's most infamous curse: four deaths are associated with the trilogy, which was premised around destructive spirits who inhabited a house. The film's young star, Heather O'Rourke, died at only 12 of septic shock, and her onscreen sister, Dominique Dunne, was strangled to death by her distraught boyfriend. Julian Beck, who played an evil spirit, died of cancer, while Will Sampson, who played a good spirit, died after a heart-lung transplant. All the deaths occurred within a six-year period.

THE CROW Star Brandon Lee's death paralleled the plot of gloomy '90s goth flick he was working on so closely, it's hard not to chalk it up to the supernatural. Lee died on the set of The Crow after being shot by a gun that was supposed to be filled with banks, while his character was supposed to be shot with a gun he thinks is unloaded. Likewise, in the script, The Crow was killed the night before his wedding; Lee was to marry his fiancee once filming ended on the movie.

SUPERMAN Everyone's heard about Margot Kidder's (Lois Lane) nervous breakdown, Richard Pryor's (Gus Gorman) multiple sclerosis and Christopher Reeve's (Superman) unfortunate paralysis, but did you know George Reeves, who played Superman in the 1950s TV series, was found dead with a single gunshot wound to the head under suspicious circumstances? And then there was Bud Collyer, who voiced The New Adventures of Superman cartoon: he died after three years on the job of a circularity ailment. Here's hoping Brandon Routh, who plays the caped crusader in the new Superman Returns, has better luck.

JAMES DEAN'S DEATH CAR The silver Porsche Spyder that Rebel Without a Cause star James Dean was killed in, nicknamed Little Bastard, was the vehicle of an eerie curse, which first took its toll on two mechanics, who both had their legs broken while unloading it after it was bought by a Hollywood car customizer. The engine and drive-train were later purchased by two different men, who used the parts in their own cars. The first time the men, Troy McHenry and William Eschrid, raced the cars, both spun out of control; McHenry hit a tree and was killed instantly, while Eschrid was seriously injured after rolling his car while taking a turn.
    Check out www.dose.ca/curse for a photo gallery of cursed movies.

source:
    http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/ne...07&k=67752&p=2

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Default Re: Horror movies and their evil curses

Really interesting post, I was talking about this just yesterday with a colleague. He was discussing what had happened in The Omen. I didn't know about some of the ones mentioned.

Didn't the Exorcist have some too?

Here's more about the Omen, taken from www.sundayherald.com

late night, an empty road, a car. A man and a woman speed towards a head-on collision which will kill one of them and burn an unforgettable image into the mind of the other.
    It sounds like the pitch for a movie but, while film is at the heart of it, this story is very real indeed. The place is Holland, the year 1976, the date August 13 – a Friday, as bad luck would have it. The man is designer John Richardson, currently working on Richard Attenborough’s second world war epic, A Bridge Too Far, but most recently employed as special effects consultant on supernatural chiller The Omen. The woman is Liz Moore, his assistant. In a few moments she’ll be dead, cut in half when the car’s front wheel slices through the chassis and into the passenger seat. Richardson will survive to tell the tale – and quite a story it is too.

Less than a year earlier, he had masterminded the parade of gruesome deaths which had made The Omen a box office smash, among them the decapitation of a photographer played by David Warner. And, like everyone else who had worked on the film – including stars Gregory Peck and Lee Remick – he was well aware of the whispers and rumours which had surrounded its filming. There had been talk of a hex, a curse, a hoodoo.

Did he believe it? Not then, perhaps. But as he came to in the minutes after the crash, he saw something that must have chilled him to the bone: his passenger, dead from injuries which bore an uncanny resemblance to the ones he had prepared for Warner. And a road sign marking the distance to an otherwise insignificant Dutch town. It read: Ommen, 66.6 km
    Freaky eh? The whole article is here http://www.sundayherald.com/52395

Hm, I don't know whether I believe in a 'curse' or not. But if I was in the entertainment industry, I probably wouldn't accept a job in the Omen remake!

I so believe in this stuff. There are evil forces at work here. It doesn't just happen with devil movies either; there were accidents on the set of The Passion of the Christ too; I think Jesus (Jim Caviezel) got struck by lightning 3 times! Ok, once can happen, but THREE times?

I believe that Satan and his demons are actually on the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny
    Didn't the Exorcist have some too?
    Yes I think so and also I heard The Ring too.

And I would not want my son to play the Anti-Christ, even if it was only a movie. Linda Blair says she is still haunted by the Exorcist.

there were accidents on the set of The Passion of the Christ too; I think Jesus (Jim Caviezel) got struck by lightning 3 times! Ok, once can happen, but THREE times?
    That could have just been 'constructive criticism' on the movie from...above. (Not that I believe that God exists; but in case he does, at least he's got taste. Notice how the dude from the seventies movie about Jesus never got struck by lightening).

Actually, I think the main danger of playing Jesus is carreer suicide. And I can sort of see why. My mother wanted to rent out an oldish Jesus movie with Christian Bale in the title role, and I categorically told her to wait until the holidays were over and I went back to my place, or be subjected to my making loud comments about "Jesus'" hotness. That could get a bit weird.

I love The Crow. I should get it on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenaj
    And a road sign marking the distance to an otherwise insignificant Dutch town. It read: Ommen, 66.6 km.
    OMG, a tingle up my spine. THAT'S so creepy. A good one for the campfire too.
    Claude os, aperi oculos!

Thread Information