Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: The 2016 Academy Awards thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    Not true, Dustin Lance Black won for screenwriting a few years ago:

Oscars 2016: Dustin Lance Black calls out Sam Smith | EW.com
    Apparently there was a gay couple from Denmark that won for best documentary a few years ago or something along those lines.

I didn't mind Leo until Titanic. The overexposure and my intense hatred for that overrated piece of crap cemented it and my opinion of him has never recovered(the whining about him not getting nominated for that didn't help AT. ALL)
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by C_is_for_Cookie View Post
    Apparently there was a gay couple from Denmark that won for best documentary or something along those lines.

I didn't mind Leo until Titanic. The overexposure and my intense hatred for that overrated piece of crap cemented it and my opinion of him has never recovered(the whining about him not getting nominated for that didn't help AT. ALL)

Yeah, I figured there had to be more, the screenwriter was the first that came to mind that I actually knew about.
    C_is_for_Cookie and arie_skop like this.

AMY won best documentary,Papa Mitch is seething and i love it.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Well, in all fairness, Sam Smith did say he could very well be wrong in his acceptance speech.

I'm glad Leo won. I think he is a fantastic actor, even if he's a douche in real life. He was just amazing in Gilbert Grape and has had many roles where he was fantastic.
    sluce, panic, arie_skop and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post

I'm glad Leo won. I think he is a fantastic actor, even if he's a douche in real life. He was just amazing in Gilbert Grape and has had many roles where he was fantastic.
    I was so happy too! He deserves it. I thought he should've at least been nominated in 1998 for Titanic.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I didn't even bother to watch this year. I am sorry I missed Chris Rock's hosting of it, though.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    Add me to this list. I think he's a phenomenal actor. Titanic is one of my least favorite of his roles though. Really I think it was just miscasting to put him and Kate opposite one another. He looked more like he could be her younger brother in that film. Plus it's just a crap movie altogether.

He should have won a long time ago for Gilbert Grape.
    BelledeJour likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Add me to this list. I think he's a phenomenal actor. Titanic is one of my least favorite of his roles though. Really I think it was just miscasting to put him and Kate opposite one another. He looked more like he could be her younger brother in that film. Plus it's just a crap movie altogether.
    It's one of those movies that I watch for all the wrong reasons. As soon as they hit the iceberg, I'm riveted by how everything goes downhill, and it really rewards with the special effects.

I also watch the Poseidon Adventure (original and remake) whenever they come on, especially the scenes where the rogue wave hits the ship and turns the whole thing over.

Another one is "World Trade Center". Starting out when the first building is hit and Cage has to do some kind of roll call and asks who knows how to use a Scott Pack. All the way until they get trapped underground and it kind of slows down. My kids head for the hills because I start doing Nicholas Cage impressions - "Run!!! To the elevator shaft!"
    BITTER and panic like this.

I hated Titanic but I did enjoy the 90 minute tour of the boat. The other twelve and a half hours was sappy dreck and I got hissed at in the theatre by all the fourteen year old girls because I yelled "bring on the iceberg!"
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I saw it in the theatre with idiots. Afterward, I was in the washroom and some woman was desperately trying to figure out the plot. "You mean that old woman was Rose?" Fucking complicated, that one.
    Brookie and Bluebonnet like this.
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

Trixie, effie2, sprynkles and 9 others like this.

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I didn't even bother to watch this year. I am sorry I missed Chris Rock's hosting of it, though.
    That's the only reason I watched it. I thought he was great.
    HWBL and panic like this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

After all is said and done, the one thing I have running through my head, due to Chris Rock's girl guide bit is:

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

He should have won a long time ago for Gilbert Grape.
    I think he reached his peak there. He was so totally believable in that part. One of the times when you can really say an actor became the character through acting, not through gaining weight or wearing prosthetics.
    arie_skop likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    That's the only reason I watched it. I thought he was great.
    That's the only part I watched. Once Chris' monologue was over, I was out.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem
    He deserved it. I thought he was phenomenal in gilbert grape.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanga
    It's one of those movies that I watch for all the wrong reasons. As soon as they hit the iceberg, I'm riveted by how everything goes downhill, and it really rewards with the special effects.

I thought it was riveting too, it was like a new movie was starting at the icebergs.

but i liked the whole movie, even before the iceberg.
    "The Park City Men's March is underway! There's only 8 of us but we're yelling Warrant lyrics outside of a Sephora."...Patton Oswalt

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information