Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: The 2016 Academy Awards thread

I slept through the whole damn thing, except the last 3 awards. Oh well, at least I got to see Leo win *rolleyes* and I'll be awake for Jimmy Kimmel.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    Now I have to see that movie ^
    Be prepared though, it has full frontal Meg Ryan too.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Aaaannndddd...they chose to play "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy over the closing credits. You know, that was on Spike Lee's ground breaking movie Do The Right Thing, about racism, and oppressed/ignored blacks. Holy fucking nerve.
    Belt Up likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Now it makes me want to see it even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie B View Post
    Aaaannndddd...they chose to play "Fight the Power" by Public Enemy over the closing credits. You know, that was on Spike Lee's ground breaking movie Do The Right Thing, about racism, and oppressed/ignored blacks. Holy fucking nerve.
    I loved it and felt it was completely appropriate.
    Trixie and twitchy2.0 like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I laughed.
    sluce and twitchy2.0 like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Ugh, fucking Leo won. I'll just go vomit now.
    and, now we have to hear everyone say 'finally he won, and he deserved to win' ugh

Can you believe there's a post on Reddit right now exceeding 30 000 upvotes on Leo winning? Come on, he's not that great of an actor, there's a reason he hasn't won an Oscar yet, plus this year there was low competition. And, people are saying this wasn't even his best performance.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by electrocuted_sheep View Post
    Can you believe there's a post on Reddit right now exceeding 30 000 upvotes on Leo winning? Come on, he's not that great of an actor, there's a reason he hasn't won an Oscar yet, plus this year there was low competition. And, people are saying this wasn't even his best performance.
    I agree, this wasnt his best performances and he lost the previous years because the competition was tougher.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

I'm one of those, "finally he's won" people. I hated him in Titanic times and I did a double-take after Blood Diamonds saying, whoa, something's changed. And he's been prolific ever since. I would award that.

The Oscar doesn't go to the best actor... It goes to the person who lobbies the best.
    This year he took the lobby thing seriously and he was awarded for making the effort.
    arie_skop likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sprynkles View Post
    Saw it. Loved it. It was a little too dark, though. Oh, well. You can't have everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post
    I'm one of those, "finally he's won" people. I hated him in Titanic times and I did a double-take after Blood Diamonds saying, whoa, something's changed. And he's been prolific ever since. I would award that.

The Oscar doesn't go to the best actor... It goes to the person who lobbies the best.
    This year he took the lobby thing seriously and he was awarded for making the effort.
    Loved him in "The Departed", "Catch me if you Can", "Wolf of Wall Street", "Revolutionary Road", and "Django Unchained". "Revenant" was a little weird in that there was not a lot of dialog - more like emoting and suffering. But that is the kind of stuff that gets rewarded at Oscar time. He is going to keep getting nominated, so people who hate him better buckle their seat belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Geest View Post

How do you lobby, I don't get it. Him being caught with that 30 year old news presenter at the club, was that him seriously lobbying for an Oscar?? Other than giving interviews, how do you lobby for an Oscar? This is a serious question.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Saw it. Loved it. It was a little too dark, though. Oh, well. You can't have everything.

Loved him in "The Departed", "Catch me if you Can", "Wolf of Wall Street", "Revolutionary Road", and "Django Unchained". "Revenant" was a little weird in that there was not a lot of dialog - more like emoting and suffering. But that is the kind of stuff that gets rewarded at Oscar time. He is going to keep getting nominated, so people who hate him better buckle their seat belts.
    I'm very aware of that. In all likelihood, he's going to get nominated multiple times after this and probably win a couple more, which is why I'm hoping he does something really scandalous, like sleep with an underage girl and get caught or something, and it kinda destroys his career. Yes, I'm a bitch.
    Belt Up and Beeyotch like this.

I'm glad he's won, I've been a fan of his since he got out of his teenage heart throb stage. There are definitely roles that I think were more deserving (I think this was 22 years overdue), but I agree with Mohandas - the body transformation, the physical demands, the filming location and the emotional acting helped his cause here...and to echo what Geest said - he's definitely been more prevalent this Oscar season than in past seasons, which I'm sure also helps....this movie has been buzzed about for over a year now.
    sluce and MohandasKGanja like this.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by o0Amber0o View Post
    There are definitely roles that I think were more deserving
    Like in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. That's where I first saw him, and I thought he actually was mentally impaired.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    No openly gay man has ever one an Oscar ? Is this true , I thought Elton John won one
    Not true, Dustin Lance Black won for screenwriting a few years ago:

Oscars 2016: Dustin Lance Black calls out Sam Smith | EW.com

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information