Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: 2014 Oscar Nominations: The Complete List of Nominees

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I thought Leo was at his best in Gilbert Grape.

He was good in The Aviator, but the film was so whitewashed as to be unwatchable. Acting wise, he hasn't done too much to impress me.
    And Gatsby didn't get shit - I thought it would be a shoe-in for sets and costume.
    And I'm hurting for Idris Elba and Forest Whitaker. Oprah, not so much. I bet her face is in a pot of mac and cheese as we speak.
    He was truly amazing in Gilbert Grape. I liked the Aviator, but his acting wasn't really award-worthy in it. LOVE the Oprah observation!
    BITTER and louiswinthorpe111 like this.

Gravity sucked, that it was nominated at all apart from special effects, for anything, should shame the Academy.

I'm glad Oprah didn't get the nod. Forest maybe should have gotten one, but the movie was just meh. It's a story that's been told before much better.

I'm also glad Hanks was snubbed. The high jacker, who had no acting experience, gave a performance that blew Hanks' away.

And if JLaw (as much as i love her) wins over Lupita Nyong'o it's highway robbery. And American Hustle is a bunch of actors in period costume in search of a script. Jeremy Renner was the best thing in it. And Amy Adams was better as well.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Hit By Ban Bus!

I'll just c/p a comment from the Vulture piece on the noms/snubs because it captures my feelings exactly:

"...boring, tedious, shallow, little boy fantasy told exclusively from the perspective of a total douche who feels no remorse about what he did and essentially went unpunished. Point being? If intended to be "an indictment of Wall Street greed," putting a 2-bit con artist from Long Island having a lot of fun with his shiny toys on the screen for 3 bloated hours is a fail. Only immature frat boys could love this film. Boo."

Sick and tired of Hanks anyway so good for the Academy for snubbing ol' Jingo.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFm0uU6F024

Chiwetel Ejiofor's CNN reporter sister Zain Asher cries after learning of his Oscar nomination | Mail Online
    Touching moment CNN reporter broke down in tears after learning her brother had won best actor Oscar nomination for 12 Years A Slave

• Zain Asher, a financial news reporter for CNN, became emotional as she spoke about her brother and his years of hard work
    • British actor Ejiofor, 36, is up against Matthew McConaughey, Christian Bale, Bruce Dern and Leonardo DiCaprio for the award

By Daily Mail Reporter
    PUBLISHED: 17:30 EST, 16 January 2014 | UPDATED: 19:08 EST, 16 January 2014

A CNN reporter has broken down with pride during a television interview after learning that her brother, Chiwetel Ejiofor, has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor.

Zain Asher's heartfelt reaction surprised her colleagues - not least because many didn't even know she was related to the 12 Years a Slave actor.
    'This is a day my family has been hoping and waiting for for such a long time,' Asher, a financial news reporter, told fellow CNN host Carol Costello after the network got wind of the connection.
    'Hes been acting since he was thirteen years old, and he's worked so hard for this.'

Joy: CNN financial news reporter Zain Asher became emotional on air as she shared her joy that her brother, Chiwetel Ejiofor, has been nominated for the Best Actor Academy Award

Emotional: She struggled to contain her tears as she spoke about how hard her brother had worked

As she described how her brother would spend hour after hour reciting lines of Shakespeare in his bedroom, she became emotional with pride.
    'Chiwetel - he's been acting since he's 13 years old and - oh my god! I told myself I wasn't going to cry,' she said through tears and laughter. 'I do feel so emotional now.'

She added: 'He's someone who's really dedicated and an actor's actor. He's been acting for over 20 years, and so to finally see recognition for his work - I can't even describe the feeling.'
    The 36-year-old English actor has worked on many box office hits in the past - from Love Actually to American Gangster - but 12 Years a Slave has garnered him new recognition.

Nomination: Ejiofor has been nominated for Best Actor for his performance in 12 Years a Salve

+6
    Close: Asher, right with her brother and sister, said the family had been nervous about the announcement

He was also nominated for a Golden Globe for his depiction of the film's lead character, Northup, but he missed out to Matthew McConaughey.
    He will battle McConaughey, who starred in Dallas Buyers Club, again for the Best Actor Oscar on March 2, as well as Christian Bale, Bruce Dern and Leonardo DiCaprio.
    'There's so many amazing actors and so he's in good company,' Asher said. 'I wasn't really sure when I was watching the nominations what was going to happen.'
    She said that her brother, who is in bed getting over an illness, was also unsure about his likelihood of getting a nomination.

Dazzling cast: Ejiofor, right, is pictured with Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years a Slave. All three actors have also both been nominated for their performances in the movie

'When we spoke last night he was a little bit nervous because there were just so many amazing people nominated this year,' she said.

Chiwetel Ejiofor's CNN reporter sister Zain Asher cries after learning of his Oscar nomination | Mail Online

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Gravity sucked, that it was nominated at all apart from special effects, for anything, should shame the Academy.

I'm glad Oprah didn't get the nod. Forest maybe should have gotten one, but the movie was just meh. It's a story that's been told before much better.

I'm also glad Hanks was snubbed. The high jacker, who had no acting experience, gave a performance that blew Hanks' away.

And if JLaw (as much as i love her) wins over Lupita Nyong'o it's highway robbery. And American Hustle is a bunch of actors in period costume in search of a script. Jeremy Renner was the best thing in it. And Amy Adams was better as well.
    i enjoyed 'gravity'. not as much as the hype or the academy seems to think but i did really like it and it's by far sandra's best performance to date - way better than that overblown lifetime-movie-with-a-big-budget that was that bullshit 'the blind side'.

i agree about the butler. forrest whitaker was awesome but he was awesome in spite of the script and meh movie, not because of it.

haven't seen captain phillips but i think hanks is overrated anyway.

agree about lupita. i don't think jlaw even deserved to be nominated for 'hustle'. not that she's not a great actress but it was an ensemble movie and her performance did not stand out enough to warrant special recognition.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

In a year full of surprises, Winfrey's absence in the nominations comes as the biggest shock, for a few reasons.

• The film seemed to have everything going for it. The Butler is a decades-spanning travelogue through all the milestones of America's Civil Rights history. It's the kind of feel-good middlebrow entertainment that the Academy has always loved. (Remember The Help?) And, to top it off, it was a surprise box-office smash.

• Oprah's role was perfect Oscar bait. In The Butler, Oprah plays Gloria Gaines, the long-suffering wife of a good man who makes mistakes. According to our math, 99% of all Best Supporting Actress slates have had a character who falls into this category.

• And she's great in it. Gloria Gaines is a big, showy role, and Oprah gives it her all. "Oprah's performance was the opposite of subtle," wrote Stephanie Zacharek at Slate. "I just cannot forget that moment when, seething with resentment … she rises from the couple's marital bed, goes to the mirror, and – in a moment of feral femininity – meticulously applies a coat of lipstick."

• She's come close to Oscar gold before. The Academy loves to reward its favorites, and Oprah is among them. She was nominated as Best Supporting Actress for The Color Purple (losing to Dianne Wiest of Hannah and Her Sisters) and received a Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award just two years ago.

• She's Oprah. Again, she's Oprah. Everyone loves her.
    All of these sound like great reasons not to give her a nomination. I would have thought "perfect Oscar bait", "the opposite of subtle" and "she's been nominated before, so it's an easy choice" were rather bad things.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

I also think that in the minds of some members of the Academy, there could only be one "black" movie to get attention from the Academy. There were a few frontrunners; Twelve Years a Slave, The Butler, the Mandela bio AND Fruitvale Station.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Oscars 2014 Celebrity Gift Bags Worth $80,000: See What Losers Receive - Us Weekly
    Oscars 2014 Celebrity Gift Bags: Losing Nominees Will Receive $80,000 Worth of Products

Celebrity Style February 20, 2014 AT 6:00PM By Esther Lee

Lupita Nyong'o, Jared Leto and June Squibb at the annual Oscar Nominees Luncheon at the Beverly Hilton on Feb 10, 2014 Credit: Harbaugh/Newspix International

Holy swag bag!

While a select group will take home those coveted gold statues at the Oscars on Sunday, March 2, some of the losers will at least have their $80,000 "Everyone Wins at the Oscars" gift bags.

For the 15th year, L.A.-based marketing firm Distinctive Assets will give the gift bags to the losing nominees in the Best Actor/Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress, and Director categories. 2014 Oscar nominees include Amy Adams, Jennifer Lawrence, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sandra Bullock, and Martin Scorsese.

Us Weekly takes a sneak peek inside each parcel valued at more than what nominee Jonah Hill was paid for the Wolf of Wall Street ($60,000) -- and highlights the most outrageous products.

Weird Procedures, $18,070
    Uh O! Celebs will receive the O-Shot procedure, which supposedly "rejuvenates and enhances the genital tissue of a woman." The $2,700 procedure is said to enhance sexual response and slow urinary incontinence.

For the gents (and some ladies): hair restoration surgery using ARTAS Robotic Hair Transplant system ($16,000) is also offered.

Weight Loss Products, $949
    As stars famously slim down for awards shows, the gift bag includes 10 personal training sessions with Huntley Drive Fitness ($850), portion-conscious dinnerware from Slimware ($59), and Hydroxycut gummies, protein bars, and shakes ($40).

A Train Trek through the Rocky Mountains, $6,850
    All aboard! Recipients will receive a two-day rail journey on the Rocky Mountaineer luxury train, which travels through Western Canada. Their journey will start with an overnight stay in Vancouver, then the train will travel past waterfalls, endless forests, still lakes, and other scenic spots until it arrives at its destination, a resort town in the Canadian Rockies.

Maple Syrup -- and a Maple Tree!
    Celebs will receive $280 worth of pure organic maple syrup, salad dressings, jellies, mustard, and an apron. But that's not all! Each star will receive an adoption certificate of a maple tree in Notre-Dame-Des-Bois. Cost? Invaluable.

A Walk through Japan and the Best of Vegas, $24,000
    Explorers will have the chance to tour and discover the authentic, non-touristy side of Japan by foot from Walk Japan ($15,000). Celebs will also have the chance to live it up through the Best of Las Vegas offering ($9,000), which includes a face-to-face meeting with Boyz II Men.

Home Systems, $7,455
    Water therapy for the stars and their homes! Nominees will receive the Steamist Total Sense Home Spa System ($2,560), which includes shower amenities like aromatherapy, wireless in-shower audio, and more, in addition to Krystal Klear Water's whole house water filtration system ($4,895).

Resort and Villa Stays, $5,300

Celebs will receive resort stays at the Imanta resort in Ocean Casa ($3,300) and a 5-night stay in a luxury villa at the Koloa landing resort in Kauai ($2,000).

Pet Products, $7,706

Celeb pets are winners too! Epic Pet Health is offering stars its electrolyte pet therapy, complete with a year's supply of pet supplements ($1,591). Stars will also receive Simon's Happy Pet Shampoo ($15). And finally: Freekibble.com, Ellen DeGeneres' natural pet food line, Halo Spot's Stew, will give a 10,000-meal donation to the shelter of each celebrity's choice ($6,100).

And these are just the highlights! Other bizarre treats for the 2014 Oscar losers include a horse shampoo for humans ($95), his and hers Mace pepper spray guns ($120), and a narrative clip that gives its users a shareable photographic memory ($279).

Oscars 2014 Celebrity Gift Bags Worth $80,000: See What Losers Receive - Us Weekly
    Last edited by dougie; February 21st, 2014 at 03:06 PM.

Uh O! Celebs will receive the O-Shot procedure, which supposedly "rejuvenates and enhances the genital tissue of a woman." The $2,700 procedure is said to enhance sexual response and slow urinary incontinence.

WTF. There is no way in fucking hell you are injecting my genitals with anything. (But I wonder who will do this!)
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

WTF. There is no way in fucking hell you are injecting my genitals with anything. (But I wonder who will do this!)
    Kris Jenner will be there looking for freebie leftovers - if anyone would she would.
    KrisNine likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

From reading all the gossip from there, It looks like Jared Leto is busily offering his organic genital injection services. Monster needle, with a soft tip, and ribbed for pleasure.
    Bluebonnet likes this.

London agency Mediarun Digital has created this cute illustration of every dress worn by the Best Actress Academy Award winner

Best Actress Oscar dresses worn since 1929 shown in stunning illustration | Mail Online

Chart tracking Oscar viewership 1992-201; the Academy Awards telecast typically is the most-watched TV event of the year for a non-sporting event

Angelina Jolie at Oscar rehearsals | Mail Online
    twitchy2.0, kersalli and angelais like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Oprah should just go ahead and buy the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and then give herself every award in every category.
    Exactly what I was thinking.

WTF was Sissy Spacek wearing, it looks awful! (1981)
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

^^^
    i admit, i kinda love it:

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information