Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony

Hit By Ban Bus!

well if thats the case then they shouldn't have allowed their male gymnasts to compete b/c their team captain is fugly to the bone and they've had 2 olympics to fix his teeth - they should have gotten some pretty eye candy like our guys.

Equestrian EventingSilverGina MilesMixed Individual
    USA

OK now show the equestrian we had someone win a silver!

--------

as for glitches we had a woman bus driver have a panic attack and leave the French cyclist team on the bus ... they missed their event and couldn't make it up. We had the bombing. We had tourists get lost and end up in the dodgy (I've always wanted to use that word) side of town. The computers went down all the time (they were ran by some Australian firm no not kidding) and we were slammed for making money. When I hear about someone getting the Olympics I chortle to myself b/c they have no idea what a mess it is.... traffic!!!

GaPeach, you were slammed for making money and we (Greeks) were slammed for not making money. We wanted to get people in the stadium but they didn't fucking come!! Stupid country of 11 million footing that enormous bill and not only did people not come, Greece's regular visitors didn't come either because the Olympics scared them off. Brits have no idea what they are getting into.

We dealt pretty well with traffic though, we had them in August when everyone leaves on holiday and we allocated special lanes. There were still some fuckups but nothing like those poor French who didn't get to compete at all.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ it was awful, we had vendors everywhere and the ones who didn't get much foot traffic sued the city.

They are making much about China dumping their poor and taking their homes but we did that too. Went in and gave the owners bucks and the owners evicted the poor into the streets. Not on the scale of the Chinese though but still we are supposed to be above that stuff. Our events were spead out all over the state, some in Savannah which is a 3 hour drive from here, so a lot of the competitors never even made it to the Olympic village.

It was fun to see the cyclying teams ride their bikes around town.. they all wore scowls though. The visitors were awsome especially the Russians. The African men I met never looked me in the face but always stared above my head. They found it beneath them to have to deal witha woman. It was an exciting time, scary too. When it was over I missed it - which I found funny since I ranted so much when we won the "privilege to be the host" I knew we'd screw up (hello have you ever seen Atlanta) I just hoped we wouldn't embarrass ourselves to badly.

A lot is being said about the chinese gymnasts being taken away from their homes at age 3 but it all comes down to choices doesn't it?

Most of the female volunteers had problems with Africans. The guy I was assigned to felt me up and also harrassed his female driver. But just the higher ups, coaches and all that. I loved the athletes and stuck around for them even though I hated that guy, because they were so sweet.

I was scared when we had the Olympics that something would go wrong but I'd been so tired from it all, having Athens be a giant work site for so long that I just didn't care, I wanted it to be over.

We didn't make anyone leave their home as far as I know but some beggars were rounded up same with stray dogs. People thought the stray dogs would be euthanised but most of them showed up again in their neighbourhood after being sterilised so that was good.

The news about the giant scroll being manipulated by soldiers who were under it for 7 hours wearing diapers just hit here. Yikes, kinda takes away some of the splendor of the opening ceremony. Whatever happened to machines, people? Poor soldiers

Hit By Ban Bus!

Rats my post didn't go through so now I have to do it again.

The news about the giant scroll being manipulated by soldiers who were under it for 7 hours wearing diapers just hit here. Yikes, kinda takes away some of the splendor of the opening ceremony. Whatever happened to machines, people? Poor soldiers

Oh my gosh I haven't heard that yet. Good grief they just should man up and tell on themselves so it doesn't look so bad. It's like the panda story, at first we hear none of the panda's were hurt then you find out some were killed in the earthquake.

The soldiers look scary, they have that blank look the Nazi's used to have - just vacant stares.. gives me the willies. I was like good let them police the world then after the opening ceremonies I changed my mind, I'm a brat I don't think I could live that life and it's for sure I couldn't eat half the stuff they call food.

Greece did a good job. I was worried for ya'll though because of the terrorist threat. I thought there is no way they can protect the athletes (remember I thought that about us to) (I'm a Debbie Downer.) anyway it all went off well and there was that respect that naturally goes to Greece b/c thats where it all started. What did we have..... a rehashing of the civil war. I did mention it was hot didn't I, I mean hot hot... but as much as we had smog we didn't have anything like china has. mercy.

I remember reading Ekaterina Gordeeva's book (she's a pairs figure skater from Russia) and she said the coach would sleep with the girls (not her she was under age) and it happened if they wanted it or not. Abuse happens. My daughter is a gymnastic coach who coaches level 10 and elite gymnasts. She's known 3 male coaches who were molesters. The last one she fired and almost took to jail b/c she's also a police officer. When my daughter was a gymnast I always stayed with her during work outs (I did a lot of reading) but these parents don't have the choice what do you do when they come to your house and take your only child at age 3? Scary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information