Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2007 Oscar Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    I'm a movie buff, a theater enthusiast (both musicals and traditional plays), an actress, and have always been involved in theater communities. I know talent and quality when I see it in a film, and I don't see either when Beyonce "acts".
    Well, I think we both know the difference between theater and the cinema then. Bee is much more of a big-screen actor and isn't made for theater (though it would be interesting to see what she might do with a role like that). That's why I think she would do so well in an epic.

-INDEPENDENT WOMAN

You're right about one thing, film and theater are 2 entirely different monsters. However she'd be an even bigger joke if she tried to play a role onstage.

Bee is much more of a big-screen actor and isn't made for theater (though it would be interesting to see what she might do with a role like that). That's why I think she would do so well in an epic.
    Beyonce has as much chance at becoming an established and critically aclaimed actress as my dishwasher does, I mean c'mon fans of her music will want to see her on screen, but as someone who doesnt really have a massive opinion of her she is just out of her league. Any studio that would have her in a leading role in an epic would be insolvent in minutes. Stick to what youre good at Bee and leave the acting to the proffessionals
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Eli

That list can't be real, it was reported a week or so ago that Dreamgirls missed out on all nominations for original songs.
    And if it is true, this sucks! Too many Dreamgirls songs.

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (original score)
    BABEL- Gustavo Santaolalla
    THE GOOD GERMAN- Thomas Newman
    NOTES ON A SCANDAL- Philip Glass
    PAN'S LABYRINTH- Javier Navarrete
    THE QUEEN- Alexandre Desplat

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
    "I Need to Wake Up" - AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH
    "Listen" - DREAMGIRLS
    "Love You I Do" - DREAMGIRLS
    "Our Town" - CARS
    "Patience" - DREAMGIRLS
    It was a dull year all round in 2006 for the music industry, so no surprises how random and boring all of these noms are.
    I liked Avril Lavigne's song from Eragon to be honest, but there's so accounting for taste. Especially in the weirdo Academy's eyes (or ears). They've given us another excuse not to tune in late February!

I just want Cate Blanchett to win in her category.

Damn, even reading the nominations makes me want to fall asleep....

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Beyonce has as much chance at becoming an established and critically aclaimed actress as my dishwasher does, I mean c'mon fans of her music will want to see her on screen, but as someone who doesnt really have a massive opinion of her she is just out of her league. Any studio that would have her in a leading role in an epic would be insolvent in minutes. Stick to what youre good at Bee and leave the acting to the proffessionals
    Okay, how would you describe Barbra Streisand and Diana Ross then? I think both of them had their moments as actresses, despite being considered singers first.....
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    Okay, how would you describe Barbra Streisand and Diana Ross then? I think both of them had their moments as actresses, despite being considered singers first.....
    Both are still considered singers though...when you think of diana ross or barbra streisand you think "singer" before you ever think "actress"
    Dramatically overdramatic

Quote Originally Posted by haggard View Post
    Both are still considered singers though...when you think of diana ross or barbra streisand you think "singer" before you ever think "actress"
    I was more referring to the remark that they should leave the acting to the "professionals". Sinatra was a singer who turned out to be a pretty good actor, too.
    Diana Ross did a considerable job in "Lady Sings The Blues".....
    If they'd stuck to singing, nobody would've known they could act.

***** celeb

I think the singers who turn out to be good actors are few and far between (as are the actors who are good singers) For every will smith theres 3 times as many 50 cents, or Mariah Careys, or Madonnas.

its a little disheartening that someone who can make it as a singer automatically gets movie roles and things just because they're popular as singers...when I'm sure theres plenty more talented ACTORS out there who could do it better.
    Dramatically overdramatic

Quote Originally Posted by haggard View Post
    I think the singers who turn out to be good actors are few and far between (as are the actors who are good singers) For every will smith theres 3 times as many 50 cents, or Mariah Careys, or Madonnas.

its a little disheartening that someone who can make it as a singer automatically gets movie roles and things just because they're popular as singers...when I'm sure theres plenty more talented ACTORS out there who could do it better.
    True, although it must be said that many actors who are now waiting tables while hoping to be discovered, really are far better waiters and waitresses than the actors they think they are.

***** celeb

Quote Originally Posted by HWBL View Post
    True, although it must be said that many actors who are now waiting tables while hoping to be discovered, really are far better waiters and waitresses than the actors they think they are.
    Not quite the point though...I think the words "established" and "professional", make yours moot. There was never a question of artistic integrity or skill and talent as an actor directed towards anyone other than "Bee".

Oh yeah Babs had her decent roles, Diana Ross - please. Cher however was amazingly talented and Will Smith - "Happyness" "Ali", six degrees of seperation" brilliant, but if anyone brings up J-ho Im taking my bat and ball and going home. Ok how would you describe Warrens rapping in Bullworth as compared to his acting - does that make him worthy of producing a solo album?
    I'm using a lot of oxygen and such I think it's good use of oxygen myself, but of course, I'm a little prejudiced on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    That list can't be real, it was reported a week or so ago that Dreamgirls missed out on all nominations for original songs.
    And if it is true, this sucks! Too many Dreamgirls songs.
    This was pulled from the official Oscars website, it's real, I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Soth View Post
    Not quite the point though...I think the words "established" and "professional", make yours moot. There was never a question of artistic integrity or skill and talent as an actor directed towards anyone other than "Bee".

Oh yeah Babs had her decent roles, Diana Ross - please. Cher however was amazingly talented and Will Smith - "Happyness" "Ali", six degrees of seperation" brilliant, but if anyone brings up J-ho Im taking my bat and ball and going home. Ok how would you describe Warrens rapping in Bullworth as compared to his acting - does that make him worthy of producing a solo album?
    An entirely different matter, but I'll respond because it's about my decrepit baby Warren himself has described his rapping as "I sound like Dr. Seuss when I rap", so there was never any intention on his part to start up a career in rap, nor was it his intention to start a career as a singer when he played the wonderfully untalented, off key singer Lyle Rogers in "Ishtar", complete with hilarious soundtrack. A one off production that sadly still isn't published.
    B.T.W. CHALET if you're visiting this thread: rumor has it there will be a 20th anniversary Ishtar DVD, so hopefully they'll include some of Warren and Dustin's songs on CD with it. I would LOVE that!

***** celeb

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information