Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Prequel to classic horror movie 'The Shining' is in the works

Default Prequel to classic horror movie 'The Shining' is in the works

Here's Johnny (again!): Prequel to classic horror movie The Shining is 'in the works'

By Martin Howden
    PUBLISHED: 15:34 GMT, 31 July 2012 | UPDATED: 15:53 GMT, 31 July 2012

And they say Hollywood has run out of ideas!
    Warner Bros are apparently set to terrify viewers once again by working on a prequel to Stanley Kubrick's classic horror movie The Shining.
    The original movie, released in 1980, focused on a writer called Jack Torrance who uproots his family to take an off-season caretaker job at an isolated hotel.

Here's Johnny: Jack Nicholson terrified film fans as a crazed writer in 1980's The Shining

Played chillingly by Jack Nicholson, Torrance loses his mind in the creepy surroundings, and the climax features him trying to kill his family.

More...

It's not known what plot the prequel will take, but there has already been speculation that it will focus on the creepy history and supernatural surroundings of The Overlook hotel.
    It could also focus on Jack's young telepathic son Danny.

Lost in a maze: Nicholson's crazed character comes to a frosty end in the film, but will he back for the prequel?

Shutter Island screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis has been approached to tackle the daunting prequel, with The Amazing Spider-Man writers Bradley Fischer and James Vanderbilt joining her.

Directed by Kubrick and based on Stephen King's book, the film scared the life out of cinemagoers when it was released in 1980 thanks to Nicholson's manic performance and the director's claustrophobic setting.

Director Martin Scorsese has since called it one of the scariest films of all time.

Stanley Kubrick (L) directed the classic film based on the book by Stephen King (R) - with the writer later admitting he wasn't a fan of the movie

Surprisingly, King was less of a fan of the film, believing too much of the supernatural element was cut from his book.

The famous horror writer also disagreed with the casting of Torrance - arguing that the character going crazy won't be much of a surprise giving Nicholson's previous role as an mental patient in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

He said at the time: 'Parts of the film are chilling, charged with a relentlessly claustrophobic terror, but others fall flat. Not that religion has to be involved in horror, but a visceral skeptic such as Kubrick just couldn't grasp the sheer inhuman evil of The Overlook Hotel.
    'So he looked, instead, for evil in the characters and made the film into a domestic tragedy with only vaguely supernatural overtones. That was the basic flaw: because he couldn't believe, he couldn't make the film believable to others.

New blood: Shutter Island screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis has been approached to tackle the daunting prequel

'What's basically wrong with Kubrick's version of The Shining is that it's a film by a man who thinks too much and feels too little; and that's why, for all its virtuoso effects, it never gets you by the throat and hangs on the way real horror should.'
    King himself has just finished a book sequel to The Shining, called Dr. Sleep - which focuses on a grown up but troubled Danny.
    It will be released early next year.

Prequels to classic horror films seem to be rage at the moment, with The Thing also getting the same treatment - as will a planned TV series of The Exorcist.

Read more: The Shining is to spawn a prequel | Mail Online

"Tão estranho carregar uma vida inteira no corpo, e ninguém suspeitar dos traumas, das quedas, dos medos, dos choros."
    Caio Fernando Abreu

I loved The Shining, but I wouldn't call it one of the scariest movies of all time. I don't find it to be even mildly scary, to tell the truth. Maybe I've just seen it too many times.

And they say Hollywood has no original ideas!

Oh, wait....
    "If you are not outraged, then you are not paying attention," Heather Heyer's facebook quote.

ITA with king that the movie wasn't as good as the book, but it was good.
    OrangeSlice and shedevilang like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

A*O

The Overlook hotel is the star of The Shining so if they use it again it should be OK. I think Kubrick did the supernatural elements very well without resorting to schlock cliches so I don't know what Steven King is bitching about. I still want to know about the plushy BJ.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I loved The Shining, but I wouldn't call it one of the scariest movies of all time. I don't find it to be even mildly scary, to tell the truth. Maybe I've just seen it too many times.
    It scared the bejeezus out of me, but that was because we were 8 when my friend's older sister showed it to us.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I watched The Shining for the first time ever just a month or two ago and it didn't match up to what I was expecting at all. I felt a little let down to be honest. Mind you we also watched One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest the same weekend and I felt the same about that, too.

Maybe I'm just not getting the whole Jack Nicholson thing.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Hit By Ban Bus!

I saw this when I was 7 or so. The scariest things for me then, was those creepy ass twins, and Shelly Duvall's face when she screamed.
    Beeyotch and Lobelia like this.

A*O

The scariest bit for me was the lady in the bathtub in room 237 (?). Oh, and the plushy BJ.
    Dame Edna Everage

Shutter Island screenwriter Laeta Kalogridis has been approached to tackle the daunting prequel
    not a recommendation. shutter island was silly, and the twist was quite obvious from the beginning.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    The scariest bit for me was the lady in the bathtub in room 237 (?). Oh, and the plushy BJ.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    not a recommendation. shutter island was silly, and the twist was quite obvious from the beginning.
    I agree. Hated that movie.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I actually think the creepiest part of the entire movie is the opening music as you see Jack's car driving to the Overlook for his interview. It is such a great piece and really sets the tone for what's to come.

My favourite scene is Grady telling Jack that when wives get out of hand they should be corrected.

I always wished he'd managed to chop Shelley Duval into pieces.

A*O

Agree. If I was snowed in all winter with that ditz I'd go crazy too.
    Dame Edna Everage

No! Hollywood, no! Bad! Bad hollywood!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information