Thread: Who watched "Final Witness" on ABC?

Cool Who watched "Final Witness" on ABC?

ABC’s ‘Final Witness’ restages notorious murders, from the viewpoint of the deceased victims

Post-mortems of killings, like the 2006 Caffey family slayings, feature gripping reenactments and harrowing tales from the survivors

Comments (3) NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 6:00 AM

Actors portray Charlie Wilkinson and Erin Caffey, who conspired to kill Caffey's family, in ABC's 'Final Witness.'

• Title: 'Final Witness'
    • Network / Air Date: Wednesday at 10 p.m., ABC

Looking at a murder case from the perspective of the victim pretty much guarantees you’re not going to get a happy ending.
    Or a typical summer TV show, light and upbeat.
    ABC’s new “Final Witness,” a bid to tap into the true-crime genre that has served many a cable network well, is crisply and professionally produced.
    But the best face it can put on terrible murder cases is philosophical, and that may not be enough to keep viewers from the somber takeaway that someone they like has ended up dead.
    ABC is betting we will watch anyway, for two reasons.
    First, the murders are compellingly recounted, since all the facts are in and most of the survivors can now tell their tales.
    Second, we like gruesome crimes. We gasp, we talk about how awful they are, we insist we don’t want to think about them. Then, bam, we see one and we hit the brakes to take a closer look.
    “Final Victim” does try to give each case some sort of positive spin, or comforting reflection.
    In Wednesday’s opening episode, this means the victim/narrator telling us she has forgiven the perpetrator(s).
    Exactly how the producers got this information might be an interesting story in itself.
    But the intended impact is no mystery. It reassures viewers that forgiveness, a central article of Christian and other faiths, can be exercised even under the most extreme provocation.
    Some viewers may remember this 2006 case, in which the Caffey family of East Texas was apparently butchered before their house was set on fire.
    The husband survived, crawling through a bathroom window and dragging himself 400 yards to a neighbor’s house in time to have his five gunshot wounds stitched up before he bled to death.
    That wasn’t the weird twist, though. The weird twist was finding another survivor, just as the husband’s information was bringing the case to a rapid head.
    Soon we have a good idea what happened, and the few remaining loose ends don’t add up to much of a mystery.
    Equally interesting is the way the producers tell the story, with a combination of voices.
    The husband does most of the talking, because he’s obviously the main witness. Friends of the family fill in some background.
    A few grainy police interrogation tapes of the real-life suspects have survived, and provide an interesting if brief glance at the perps, who are portrayed elsewhere in the show through scenes restaged by actors.
    Periodically we hear the detached voice of the wife, talking about dreams held and lost.
    She also talks about her faith, and how the true test is whether it survives the worst of times.
    These are those times — and as television, it’s somber stuff.

Read more: ABC

Damn, I wanted to watch because I like true crime type shows, and totally forgot about this.

I forgot,too! Darn.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's really good. It's done like a docu-drama.

Bronze Member

Default Good Show

We saw it, not bad at all and a good break from the usual summer fare. Next week's ep looks really good, too.

OK. Who watched last night's episode about the girl in New Orleans? Totally freaked me out!!!

Here's the actual story from 2006:

http://blog.nola.com/tpcrimearchive/...se_cooked.html
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; July 5th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.

Rats!! I forgot again!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Great show - I forgot about it and caught up with the two episodes just today. I won't forget on Wednesdays now!
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

I hope ABC brings this back over the summer! It's not "cancelled" so maybe they will.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

I think that this has been on our tv too, I know I've for one epi tevo'd...
    Free Charmed.

i hope so too! i quite like this show, although i had totally forgotten it existed.

Thread Information