Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: HBO's "Girls"

Default HBO's "Girls"

does anybody watch this show?

i discovered it yesterday and i can't get enough of it. this is such a great show, i don't understand why it isn't hyped as much as other series?

Girls is an American television series that began airing on HBO on April 15, 2012. Created by Lena Dunham, Girls is a comedy series that follows the lives of a close group of twenty-somethings as they chart their lives in New York City.

(...)

Dunham said Girls reflects a part of the population not portrayed in the 1998 HBO series Sex and the City. "Gossip Girl was teens duking it out on the Upper East Side and Sex and the City was women who figured out work and friends and now want to nail family life. There was this whole in between space that hadn't really been addressed," she said.[1] The pilot intentionally references Sex and the City as producers wanted to make it clear that the driving force behind Girls is that the characters were inspired by the former HBO series and moved to New York to pursue their dreams.[1] Dunham herself says she "revere[s] that show just as much as any girl of my generation."[1]

Girls (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

It's funny you should mention it because one of my coworkers, who was just in my office (commutes from NY) lives in the EXACT neighborhood that the main character lives, and had no idea the show existed. His fiance is a huge fan of Sex and the City, and she didn't know about this show either.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Love this show. Hannah is so annoyingly real. Loved the episode where Shoshanna accidentally smoked the bad stuff. Good stuff!

I've been watching it from the start. I love it! That Adam kid cracks me up. But I am so uncomfortable with the sex scenes with Lena. It's totally my own body issues, but I just cringe when she gets naked.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I love this show and I love it that we see sex scenes with someone with a "normal" body and not always those sero sizes. Too bad this sunday there will be the season finale.

I am getting into this show, I find parts of it insanely real, like that fight that Lena had with her roommate last week.

I have only seen part of another episode but was that Shoshanna who was trying to lose her virginity? I cringed when she froze up and then the guy turned her down. Gah! but her friend telling her that if she was a dude, she'd fuck her all the time, and the beam from Shoshanna, was hilarious.

Lena (who I didn't recognize at all in that poster) does like to get naked a lot. I have nothing against it, though the amount of vitriol I've read towards her for being of average body is alarming.

Love Lena Dunham and I love this show!

What a perfect ending! But now we have to wait another whole year for the next season....

Quote Originally Posted by Polyester Pam View Post
    Lena (who I didn't recognize at all in that poster) does like to get naked a lot. I have nothing against it, though the amount of vitriol I've read towards her for being of average body is alarming.
    It drives me crazy that someone would trash Dunham based on having less than a perfect body. That's the kind of body a LOT of people have, and it's far more realistic to see hers on screen than some underfed supermodel non-actress like Rosie Huntington whatever. I give her a lot of credit for being brave and doing those scenes, knowing in advance some of the negative reaction she would get.

^^ i agree. that's what's so great about this series and that's the big difference between this and SATC - real stories played by real looking girls. the fact that she gets bashed for showing her not-so-perfect body just shows again how manipulated and flawed the general perception of beauty is.
    BelledeJour likes this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Is anyone watching the new season?

The last episode was odd, not sure if I liked it or not. But the ending was interesting.

I've been watching! It was just the one with Night Owl from Watchmen in it. I've been enjoying it but Hannah is so self-involved that i want to brain her sometimes. Mostly the show is excellent, but sometimes it veers into being whiny shite.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Yes! I find Hannah annoying at times, too self-involved and spoilt.

I like this show. Hannah is annoying at times. Then she does something that reminds you of how insecure she is for someone who comes across as so confident. I like that they don't feel a need to have a storyline for each character in each episode.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I like this show. Hannah is annoying at times. Then she does something that reminds you of how insecure she is for someone who comes across as so confident. I like that they don't feel a need to have a storyline for each character in each episode.
    Yes, it's kinda of refreshing that we don't need a storyline for each character all the time.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information