Thread: MI3's a bomb....and it's Tom Cruise's fault.

Default MI3's a bomb....and it's Tom Cruise's fault.

From Drudgereport:

I'm told that, according to rival studio estimates, Paramount's MI3 will gross in the mid-$40 millions -- $45 mil-to-$46 mil -- for this opening weekend, much lower than the pre-Friday estimates of $63 mil from 4,054 theaters. That's also disappointing compared with MI2's 2000 gross of $57 mil for the Friday-Saturday-Sunday period and $71 mil over the 4-day Memorial Weekend. Friday night's MI3 box office figure was only in the vicinity of $17 mil domestically. There are some early reports that Cruise's film experienced dropped overseas, too. Is all this Cruise's fault? Or the movie's fault? After all, reviews have been mixed. The big question I posed previously: Will MI3 Withstand Tom Cruise Cooling?

MI3 has been shaping up as referendum more than recreation. That's because the opening box office numbers would gauge Tom Cruise's viability given all that bad press he's getting (most of it his doing). There's always been an imbecilic debate in Hollywood whether bad pre-release buzz can harm a movie's financial prospects. But that focused on the content or cost or production of the movie. But MI3 had an altogether different dilemma focusing on Cruise personally: his Scientology, his girlfriend, his bizarre behavior.

The bad news is that young males can be fickle about action stars, and the tracking showed young females already had signs of Cruise fatigue. On the other hand, here was a proven film franchise (where the sequel was better than the original), a director known for commercial sensibility (J.J. Abrams), and, of course, Oscar-winner Philip Seymour Hoffman as villain (but he doesn't get enough face time in the film, and especially not enough face time opposite Cruise). I foresaw there may be people who'll make a statement about Cruise by waiting to see MI3 on DVD or cable just to avoid putting first-dollar theater gross in Cruise's already obese wallet (since he's not only the star but also the producer). Still, as much as Cruise's career may be down around his ankles, I was confident the May 5th opening wouldn't be Waterworld redux. It would follow the summer pattern: the earlier a film is released in May, the better the box office. So, in the final analysis, this is disappointing, but not disastrous.

Default Re: MI3's a bomb....and its Tom Cruises fault.

I like Keri Russel and JJ Abrams but so Iwant it to so well but I hate Tom Cruise so I also want it to fail...

Default Re: MI3's a bomb....and its Tom Cruises fault.

Well tomorrow the 'real' numbers will be out....and I'm sure it won't be good for ole Tommy. BUT, it'll be spun somehow to make it not look as bad as it is....

He needs to hang it up.....and I laugh in his face.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Re: MI3's a bomb....and it's Tom Cruise's fault.

Couldn't happen to a nicer fella.

Ok, what retards are going to see this film?!?

Let's see Scientology fix this fucking mess. NOT.

Gold Member

I'm not going to see it because I didn't care for the first two. But I've been hearing the critics say that it's the best one of the 3. It got pretty good reviews at rottentomatoes.com, too. Weird. Maybe people just don't want to see Tom?

I'm not watching because Tom Cruise has sullied it.

AyanEva

Quote Originally Posted by Killjoy
    my husband.
    Mine too! But he is waiting for it to be a rental.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Thread Information