Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer movies

Default Summer movies

Sun screens
    From the super to the scary to the silly, here's what Hollywood will be shining into multiplexes this season

May 5
    MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE III
    This could be the toughest mission of all - no, not giving birth in silence, but Tom Cruise as undercover agent Ethan Hunt trying not to blow his cover. Philip Seymour Hoffman plays a sadistic arms dealer (a far cry from his recent Oscar-winning performance as Truman Capote) who's got nasty plans. This "Mission" kicks off the summer blockbuster season. "Alias" and "Lost" creator J. J. Abrams directs.

Jami Bernard

May 12
    POSEIDON
    The sea has been good to German director Wolfgang Petersen, who launched his career with 1981's "Das Boot" and scored his biggest hit with 2000's "The Perfect Storm." So back to the sea he goes for this $140 million remake of 1972's "The Poseidon Adventure," a disaster movie about an ocean liner capsized by a tidal wave. Kurt Russell, Josh Lucas and Emmy Rossum are among the passengers working their way up to the bottom of the ship. Petersen promises that the special effects - the opening scene alone took a year to make - will turn this "Poseidon" into a completely different adventure.

Jack Mathews

JUST MY LUCK
    She seems determined to distract us from the fact, but Lindsay Lohan is a talented actress with a charming presence. This cotton-candy romance looks to be the sort of high-energy comedy in which Lohan shines (as fans of "Mean Girls" and "Freaky Friday" know). She plays a New Yorker with a charmed life, until a chance encounter with the wrong guy (Chris Pine) changes her luck. As things spiral downward, can she return to solid ground, or is she destined to disappear into a haze of unhappiness?

Elizabeth Weitzman

May 19
    THE DA VINCI CODE
    The summer's most controversial and anxiously awaited film stars Tom Hanks as Robert Langdon, a Harvard symbologist on a mission to unravel a 2,000-year-old church mystery and learn the truth of the Holy Grail. Based on Dan Brown's blockbuster novel, the movie is directed by Ron Howard from a script by his fellow "A Beautiful Mind" Oscar winner, Akiva Goldsman. The cast includes Audrey Tautou as the French cryptologist who becomes Langdon's chief ally; Jean Reno as the French police captain on their trail; and Ian McKellen as a British knight who's a pivotal figure in the mystery.

J.M.

X-MEN: THE LAST STAND
    Mutant pride may not be necessary in the future now that a cure's been found for our heroes' strange genetic anomalies. Before everyone can become "normal," it's a battle to the finish between the good guys - including Hugh Jackman's Wolverine (r.), Patrick Stewart's Prof. Xavier and Halle Berry's Storm (l.) - and those who mutated over to the dark side, like Magneto (Ian McKellen) and the resurrected but now unstrung Jean Gray (Famke Janssen). Kelsey Grammer accesses his inner twisted DNA to join the cast, playing the furry blue Beast.

J.B
    June 2

THE BREAK-UP
    Vince Vaughn and real-life girlfriend Jennifer Aniston co-star in this gentle knockoff of "The War of the Roses," about a handsome Chicago couple whose decision to break up is hindered when both refuse to give up the condo. So they both stay and, while plotting against each other, try to get on with their reclaimed single lives - at least until the makeup. Director Peyton Reed ("Down With Love") has a steady hand for light romantic comedy, and Vince and Jen are one of the more appealing tabloid couples.

J.M.
    June 6
    THE OMEN
    Sure, the last film in the "Omen"' cycle was called "The Final Conflict" back in 1981, but who expects the Antichrist to play by the rules? Naughty little Damien is back, no doubt tempted by the marketing possibilities from its release date of 06/06/06. Less a sequel than a remake of the 1976 original, this contemporary update features Liev Schreiber and Julia Stiles as a young couple with a big problem : Their baby-faced boy may actually be the son of Satan.

E.W.
    June 9
    A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION
    Robert Altman assembles another all-star ensemble for this backstage peek at the people and problems behind a radio show about to end a long run. The show is Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion" (which is still going strong). Keillor plays himself as the show's host, and among the performers gathered for the last night at a Minnesota theater are Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Kevin Kline, Woody Harrelson and Lindsay Lohan. Altman is a hit-and-miss director, but when he hits, the ball clears the fence.

J.M.
    June 16
    NACHO LIBRE
    When your first feature is the cheerfully oddball, much-beloved "Napoleon Dynamite," you've got a lot to live up to. So it's a good sign that director Jared Hess teamed with the star and screenwriter of "School of Rock," Jack Black and Mike White, respectively. Black plays the titular wrestler, a sad cook in a Mexican monastery who turns himself into a masked marvel. There's no denying that Black wears his cape with just as much élan as "Superman's" hunky Brandon Routh. Even the poster has a go-for-broke zaniness.

E.W.
    THE LAKE HOUSE
    The real-estate bubble hasn't burst in sci-fi land, where a lonely doctor (Sandra Bullock) begins corresponding with the architect (Keanu Reeves) who lives in her former country house. And what a special house it is, with a mailbox that lets them exchange letters and fall in love even though they're living two years apart in a weird time warp. Talk about long-distance relationships! Alejandro Agresti directs this remake of a supernatural romance from Korea.

J.B.

June 23
    CLICK
    Adam Sandler plays an architect whose busy life takes a spectacular turn when an inventor (Christopher Walken) gives him a remote control that enables him to fast-forward through his life, rewind to great memories and freeze-frame winning moments. But the fun fizzles when it begins to control him.

J.M.
    WAIST DEEP
    Just out of prison and determined to make up for lost time with his son, ex-con O2 (Tyrese) is looking to lie low. But when the kid is kidnapped by a crime lord (The Game), Dad's got to find a way to pay the ransom, fast.

E.W.

June 30
    SUPERMAN RETURNS
    This is why people in big jobs are afraid to take vacations: Superman (newcomer Brandon Routh) gets back from a six-year jaunt to check out the rubble of Planet Krypton, only to find that his 15 minutes of fame are over: Lois Lane (Kate Bosworth) has a child, Lex Luthor (Kevin Spacey) isn't any less evil despite his latest prison stint, and Metropolis greets Supes with a shrug instead of a ticker-tape parade. But the world still needs saving, and the caped one is the Man of Steel to do it - this time, with Bryan Singer (who directed the first two "X-Men" films) at the helm.

J.B.

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA
    Just because she can, Meryl Streep pulls a 180-degree turn on us this summer, flipping from a flaky Midwestern singer in "A Prairie Home Companion" to a perfectionistic Manhattan editor (rumored to be based on Vogue's Anna Wintour) in this adaptation of Lauren Weisberger's best-selling book. Anne Hathaway is the wide-eyed innocent who watches her dream job at a top fashion magazine become a nightmare thanks to Streep.

E.W.

July 7
    PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN:
    DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Johnny Depp returns to the role of Capt. Jack Sparrow in the second of three planned "Pirates" movies. In this one, Jack and his mates must race to pay off a debt owed to the dreaded sea legend Davy Jones, or face losing their souls. Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley return as lovers Will and Elizabeth; Bill Nighy plays the ghostly Jones.

J.M.

A SCANNER DARKLY
    In a summer crowded with animated features, Richard Linklater's futuristic thriller is the only one made for adults. Set in a paranoid and drugged-out California suburb, it stars Keanu Reeves as an undercover cop forced to spy on his friends (including Robert Downey Jr. and Winona Ryder). The movie uses the same rotoscoping process as Linklater's surreal 2001 "Waking Life."

J.M.

July 14
    YOU, ME AND DUPREE
    This three's-a-crowd comedy looks to be one of the summer's hottest date-night attractions. Owen Wilson plays Randy Dupree, an insensitive, unemployed slacker who moves in with his newlywed friends Carl (Matt Dillon) and Molly (Kate Hudson) for a two-day stay that turns into a marriage-wrecking eternity.

J.M.
    July 21
    LADY IN THE WATER
    "The Sixth Sense's" M. Night Shyamalan conceived this offbeat fantasy as a bedtime story for his kids. Paul Giamatti plays an apartment-building manager who rescues a woman (Bryce Dallas Howard) from his swimming pool, only to discover she is a fictional character trapped in the real world. Nonetheless, he falls in love and joins forces with tenants to save her from other fictional creatures trying to keep her from going home. If you say so, M.

J.M.
    MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND
    Hell hath no fury like a superwoman scorned. Matt Saunders (Luke Wilson) tries to dump girlfriend Jenny Johnson (Uma Thurman) because, although she's a superhero, she's also needy and clingy and all those things that turn men off. But if Matt thought PMS was bad, wait till he sees what neurosis looks like in the hands of a vengeful super ex. Directed by Ivan ("Ghostbusters") Reitman.

J.B.
    July 28

MIAMI VICE
    If you've been dying to see Colin Farrell and Jamie Foxx in full sartorial splendor, this movie version of the fashion-conscious TV cop show is for you. Farrell and Foxx play Sonny Crockett and Ricardo Tubbs, respectively, the undercover duo who fight drugs while looking bad to the bone. The director is Michael Mann ("Last of the Mohicans," "The Insider," "Collateral"), who created the stylistically influential TV series.

J.B.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
    Fresh off its rapturous reception at the Sundance Film Festival , "Little Miss Sunshine" is a funny, appealingly offbeat story of one family's search for sanity - or, at least, a little bit of love. Abigail Breslin leads the lunacy as 7-year-old Olive; when she's unexpectedly accepted into a beauty pageant, the adults in her life - including Greg Kinnear, Toni Collette and Steve Carell - do whatever it takes to get her there.
    E.W.
    August 4
    FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS
    Clint Eastwood directs this WWII drama about the U.S. invasion of Iwo Jima in 1945, profiling the lives of the six Marines who punctuated that victory by raising an American flag on Mount Suribachi. The script is by Eastwood's "Million Dollar Baby" writer Paul Haggis, from the best-selling book by James Bradley. (Eastwood is currently filming "Red Sun, Black Sand," the story of Iwo Jima from the Japanese perspective.)

J.M.
    TALLADEGA NIGHTS:
    THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY

This one's a candidate to become the "Wedding Crashers" of 2006. Will Ferrell stars as a fearless stock-car driver whose celebrated career suddenly hits the skids. With "Anchorman's" Adam McKay directing, NASCAR culture at its center, and Sacha Baron Cohen (Ali G) as Ricky's French rival, "Talladega" could run circles around the competition.

E.W.
    THE NIGHT LISTENER
    Robin Williams takes on another left-field indie role in this drama about a gay radio host (Williams) who latches on to a young listener (Rory Culkin) calling in with tales of an anguished childhood. But is the kid for real?

J.B.
    THE SCIENCE OF SLEEP
    Two dreamy-looking stars anchor this French romance about a young man trapped in his dream life, trying to wake himself up. Writer-director Michel Gondry ("Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") directs; Gael García Bernal and Charlotte Gainsbourg star.

J.B.
    August 9

WORLD TRADE CENTER
    Unlike "United 93," Oliver Stone's take on 9/11 promises a happy ending. It also promises to be apolitical, meaning no conspiracy theories. It's a dramatization of the events leading to the rescue of two Port Authority officers. Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena star; Maria Bello and Maggie Gyllenhaal are their wives.

J.M.
    August 11
    CONVERSATIONS WITH OTHER WOMEN
    Whether or not women and men are from Mars or Venus, director Hans Canosa keeps Aaron Eckhart and Helena Bonham Carter on separate sides of a great divide. A split screen lasts all the way through this film, about an unnamed man and woman who meet and flirt at a wedding, then agitate in a hotel over whether to tumble into bed. He's got a girlfriend, she's got a family, and, well, there's that line down the screen.

J.B.

August 18
    CLERKS II
    It's only fitting that the apathetic slackers of Kevin Smith's "Clerks" needed 10 years to get it together for a sequel. Now they're out of the convenience-store racket and into a fictional cross between Disneyland and a fast-food paradise. Is adult responsibility far behind? (Probably.)

J.B.

SNAKES ON A PLANE
    There are snakes. They're on a plane. And if Samuel L. Jackson can save the this movie from succumbing to a massive case of post-hype letdown, he'll be a first-class hero.

E.W.

August 25
    IDLEWILD
    Bryan Barber's musical stars OutKast's André Benjamin (aka André 3000) and Antwan Patton (aka Big Boi) as friends running a Prohibition-era Southern speakeasy. Terrence Howard, Cicely Tyson and Ving Rhames co-star.

E.W.

Default Re: Summer movies

Word Trade Center with a happy ending?

There were no terrorists and everyone got extra packets of peanuts?

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

I'm looking forward to a few of the summer movies. The last few months have been filled with crap ones except "Inside Man".

27 july I could never be your woman with Michelle Pfeiffer & Paul Rudd(romantic Comedy) This is the movie I'm wayting for
    Fan of: Michelle Pfeiffer & Travis Fimmel
    Fav Music: Linkin Park;Martina McBride,Terri Clark,Faith Hill & Shanaia Twain;Kenny Chesney,Keith Anderson.

Gold Member

This is going to be a great summer for movies. I can't wait to see:

Poseidon(love the original,hope this does it justice)
    The Da Vinci Code
    X-Men
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Al Gore Doc. on global warming(can't remember the name of it)

Miami Vice? I guess we can't have a summer with at least one bad remake
    If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning

The Omen
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

Not a single one of those movies interests me enough to even rent them when they come out on DVD.

The original Omen was pretty good, so you just know the remake will be a piece of crap.

*sigh*

A piece of crap that I will enjoy watching reguardless of anyone's opinon or review.

My kids can't wait for Cars. Larry the Cable Guy gives his voice as a tow truck! AND I think our favorite hot/gross guy is in it as well.....none other than the Butterscotch Stallion himself, Owen.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny
    My kids can't wait for Cars. Larry the Cable Guy gives his voice as a tow truck! AND I think our favorite hot/gross guy is in it as well.....none other than the Butterscotch Stallion himself, Owen.
    Is that the one with red and blue cars racing around the track Sith?

Yes.
    http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/cars/

Go here and check out the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by FierceKiten
    A piece of crap that I will enjoy watching reguardless of anyone's opinon or review.
    Oh, I hope you didn't think my comment about The Omen was directed at you. I just noticed that my post followed yours. Oops.

Pay me no mind, I am one of those odd souls who still insists that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was much better than the remake despite the fact that most people vehemently disagree.

THe only movies I'm looking forward to see are Xmen 3 and Snakes on a Plane

Xmen 3 because I'm a fan of the comic books and it's the only comic-to-movie adaption that's actually entertaining.
    And Sankes on a Plane because it's getting some buzz on the internet and it stars Samuel L. Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc
    Oh, I hope you didn't think my comment about The Omen was directed at you. I just noticed that my post followed yours. Oops.

Pay me no mind, I am one of those odd souls who still insists that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre was much better than the remake despite the fact that most people vehemently disagree.

OK

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Well I was going to see one of the first of the crop of summer movies, 'The Posiden Adventure' since it stars two of my favorites, Andre Braugher and Emma Rossum but after reading the review at http://www.moviejuice.com I think I'll wait till it hits HBO or Starz. I'd put the review here but the site has pretty big warnings against that so I'll settle for the link. Some unflattering Emma Rossum real life gossip there too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information