Thread: Vidal Sassoon Documentary/Showtime

Default Vidal Sassoon Documentary/Showtime

Vidal-a-festo!

Fascinating life and lots I didn't know about his young life in England. He was Jewish, his mother had to give him to an orphanage but he returned home, left school to work and apprenticed in a beauty salon. He would have been an architect had he been able to get the education. He became the architect of hair. He took the rollers and setting out of modern salons and replaced it with unlaquered, clean and shiny precision cut hairstyles called "wash n' wear" hair.

He taught women that they would allow him to create a cut and style that went in the direction of their hair instead of against it they'd have a lot more flexibility in styling.

Everything he touched was designed, modern and clean. Today he'd be called the Steve Jobs of hair design in the 1960's. He looks incredible in his 80's, healthy lifestyle, been doing Pilates for 25 years. Beautiful wives, daughter OD'd a few years ago.

He was the one who cut Mia Farrow's hair short for Rosemary's Baby. He created the "5 Point Haircut". If you had a Sassoon haircut and a Mary Quant mini skirt you were the envy of all your friends.

I wondered about his views on a black person's hair and very curly hair:

“We were so involved! We opened in New York City in 1965, a time of great racial difference. My black friends would take me down to Harlem and I was amazed by the beautiful shape (of the hair), the curly look. My mission was to give the shape of these heads, and this sort of hair texture to everyone – whites and Asians, etcetera. We solved the problem of how people with straight hair could get those beautiful curls, but we never figured out how to give black straightened hair that marvelous shine. That’s been the advance of science.”

Like this article? Read the full story: The Wise Words of Vidal Sassoon | Afrobella The Wise Words of Vidal Sassoon | Afrobella

Anyone that loves fashion and has interest in the modernist 60's should watch. Lots to learn. They say these cuts will be coming back. It would be nice to see a real haircut instead of scraggly fake Farrah Fawcett hair.

Showtime Official Site :: Schedules :: Program Details :: Vidal Sassoon the Movie

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Couldn't do much with a Sassoon cut (outside of a wig) but wore the heck out me some Mary Quant. That was my all time favorite designer.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by eboni View Post
    Couldn't do much with a Sassoon cut (outside of a wig) but wore the heck out me some Mary Quant. That was my all time favorite designer.
    Then you, Eboni, are officially the coolest chick on GR. You must have the legs girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalet View Post
    Then you, Eboni, are officially the coolest chick on GR. You must have the legs girl.
    LMBO and totally flattered! Thank you, but the key word here is "had" me some legs. Got me a big old be-donka-donk now sitting on some very substantial thighs...

But I forgot about getting my big afro cut into a Sassoon! Some barbers are truly talented, lol.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

This is also available streaming on Netflix.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

I miss his shampoo. Can't get it anywhere anymore.

Thread Information