Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non-gory scary movies and thrillers

Default Non-gory scary movies and thrillers

So I fully admit I am a complete baby when it comes to gore. I cannot handle blood and guts and heads rolling around, it completely grosses me out. It's the main reason why I avoid Tarantino movies

BUT I do enjoy scary movies. I love a bit of a fright but it's hard to find movies, especially recent ones, that aren't just people getting sliced open. I know it appeals to lots of people but it's not for me. I personally don't find stuff like that scary, just disturbing and a usually a coverup for a lack of plot. For example, I thought Final Destination was stupid and not remotely scary, but the original Omen completely freaked me out

Does anyone have any suggestions for scary movies that don't involve loads of gore? I'm looking for movies from any era really as long as they at least provide a creepy atmosphere. I love paranormal-themed stuff but Rear Window type suspense movies would be appreciated too.

The Birds is another Hitchcock film that you might enjoy.

The Haunting (the original, not the crappy remake with Catherine Zeta Jones) is scary without getting gross and An American Haunting is too. The Others with Nicole Kidman creeped me out the first time I watched it. These last three are obviously about hauntings and the paranormal.

I feel like I should be able to just rattle some off, but they aren't coming to me. Maybe horror has become too dependent on gore. If I think of any others, I'll post them.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Niagra!
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I love scary movies and hate gore, too. Hopefully I can remember some great ones. There's Black Christmas (original NOT the remake, which is horrible), original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Blair Witch Project (though I know some people hate it), Alien, The Descent, The Thing (awesome special effects), 28 Days Later (which I think has more violence than gore, but I haven't seen it in a while so I can't quite remember), The Shining, The Changeling (George Scott one, not the Angelina one), Jacob's Ladder, The Exorcist, Poltergeist, American Werewolf in London (though it has a little violence, but nothing bad), Trick r' Treat, and I have a bunch more at home that I can't recall. But reading it back, I think I've listed more than enough.

Oh! And although you don't like gore, I recommend Dead Alive. It is disgusting and gory, but in a really campy fun way.
    Last edited by Brah; September 23rd, 2011 at 11:26 AM.

I also hate gore! I second the orginal The Haunting with Claire Bloom, it's a great film. I also liked the Paranormal Activity movies. Poltergiest is another good one, also the Changeling with George C. Scott is totally spooky. (both already mentioned). I can't give "The Others" enough recomendations - it's one of my favorite movies. Nicole Kidman is superb in it. Other ones I thought of and would recommend:

The Ring, the original Thirteen Ghosts, Jacob's Ladder, The Serpent and the Rainbow, The Grudge, The orginal House on Haunted Hill, The Innocents, Rosemary's Baby, Audrey Rose, Fire in the Sky, The Skeleton Key, What Lies Beneath

I know there are a bunch more but I can't think of them right now...

Don't Look Now- with Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Wait until Dark - A 1967 film with Audrey Hepburn and Alan Arkin about a blind woman who is terrorized by thugs looking for a heroin filled doll in her apartment.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean), Shutter (Thai), and Ju-on: The Grudge (Japan) if you like the J-style of horror. There may be incidental blood here and there, but these are very light on gore and heavy on very scary shit.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

the blair witch project
    the omen (i don't remember there being gore but it's been a while)
    the others
    the birds
    don't look now
    the tenant
    rosemary's baby
    the shining
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The Happening

I watched Legion the other day on cable and it wasn't that bad. Was def not like a Saw movie.

Mirrors (though the Japanese original is better)
    Signs
    Eyes of Laura Mars

I can't remember much recent off the top of my head.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The Orphanage

Loved that movie. There are a couple of disturbing shots, but no 'slasher' type gore.

Elite Member

I despise gore as well. Loved What Lies Beneath and The Others.

Rear Window is a good one too. The Birds...saw that when I was little and I wouldn't leave the house for days at the fear of having my eyes pecked out. I was so traumatized that years later when I had to watch it in a class in college, I broke out into a cold sweat at the thought of it. The anticipation was so much worse than the movie, which I actually enjoyed.

Stephen King's "IT"
    The Entity (scared the crap out of me)
    Paranormal Activity
    Last Excorsicm
    Shutter Island (more of a thriller then scary)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information