Thread: Mel Gibson to Make Film about Jewish Maccabean Revolt

Default Mel Gibson to Make Film about Jewish Maccabean Revolt

SHOCKER! Mel Gibson And Joe Eszterhas To Collaborate On Film Telling Jewish Hero Judah Maccabee Story For Warner Bros

By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday September 8, 2011 @ 7:36pm EDTTags: Icon Productions, Joe Eszterhas, Judah Maccabee, Mel Gibson, Warner Bros

EXCLUSIVE: It’s a project that will have everybody in Hollywood and beyond talking. I’ve learned that Warner Bros has set up an untitled drama that teams Gibson and screenwriter Joe Eszterhas on the telling of the heroic story of Jewish warrior Judah Maccabee. Eszterhas will write the script, and I understand that Gibson will collaborate with him. Maccabee teamed with his father and four brothers to lead the Jewish revolt against the Greek-Syrian armies that had conquered Judea in the second century B.C. Gibson has the first option to direct but will definitely produce the film through his Icon Productions banner. It’s understandable why Warner Bros would want to be back in business with Gibson, who was once a high-profile fixture there and who made a fortune for that studio with the Lethal Weapon series and other films.

Having put some painful personal issues behind him, Gibson is determined to get back to making movies. He has long wanted to make this film about heroic Jews, and it was discussed even when he was under fire after his drunken anti-Semitic rant during a 2006 Malibu arrest. Maccabee’s triumph and struggle against tyranny and oppression where people gave their lives so that others would be free to worship is celebrated by Jews all over the world through Hanukkah, the Festival of Lights. This subject matter is a decided departure for the filmmaker famous for directing The Passion of the Christ. But in a way the subject matter is in his wheelhouse: Maccabee is a close cousin to William Wallace, leader of the Scottish rebellion against the British in Braveheart, the film that brought Gibson two Oscars: for Best Picture and Best Director. Gibson last directed Apocalypto about the Mayan civilization and a tribesman who escapes human sacrifice and saves his family. While Gibson has experienced tremendous success as a producer and director, his recent star turn in front of the camera in The Beaver was a box office failure even though it received a rousing ovation at this past Cannes Film Festival.

This new deal also marks a major return to filmmaking for Joe Eszterhas, once Hollywood’s highest paid screenwriter for pics like Basic Instinct, Jagged Edge, and Flashdance. His credits also include two films that focused on Jewish themes: the 1987 Betrayed, which starred Debra Winger as an undercover FBI agent probing white supremacists, and 1989’s Music Box, which starred Jessica Lange whose Hungarian immigrant father is accused of engaging in atrocities during World War II. Both films were directed by Costa-Gavras and produced by Irwin Winkler. Music Box resulted in Eszterhas being condemned by the Hungarian Parliament for “betraying his heritage” by revealing the massacre of Jewish Hungarians by other Hungarians at the end of World War II. However, in 1995, Eszterhas was awarded the Emanuel Foundation’s Lifetime Achievement Award for his writings about the Holocaust in Hungary.

In recent years, Eszterhas stepped away from Hollywood, moved to Cleveland, overcame cancer, and focused on writing books instead of films. Both he and Gibson have had their share of travails, and make an unexpected and intriguing pairing on an unexpected and intriguing subject.

SHOCKER! Mel Gibson And Joe Eszterhas To Collaborate On Film Telling Jewish Hero Judah Maccabee Story For Warner Bros – Deadline.com

And here we all though Mel was anti-Semitic. How wrong we were.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

rofl

See Mel does like the Jews. I'll bet he even has a few Jew friends.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Poser needs to go straight to hell.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Next will he make a movie about heroic sugar-titted lady cops?
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

hahahaha

Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Celebrity News | TMZ.com
    BOOT Mel Gibson
    from Maccabee Movie

Two powerful Jewish organizations are lashing out against the decision to hire Mel Gibson to produce a movie about biblical Jewish hero Judah Maccabee ... TMZ has learned.

The Anti-Defamation League has released a statement -- demanding Warner Bros. pull Gibson off the flick immediately ... saying, "As a hero of the Jewish people and a universal hero in the struggle for religious liberty, Judah Maccabee deserves better."

The statement adds, "It would be a travesty to have the story of the Maccabees told by one who has no respect and sensitivity for other people’s religious views."

TMZ also spoke with Rabbi Marvin Hier -- founder and Dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center -- who tells us putting Mel Gibson work on a movie about a Jewish hero is "like having a white supremacist portray Martin Luther King Jr."

FYI -- Judah is a central figure in the story of Hanukkah ... as the brave warrior who drove enemies of Judaism out of Jerusalem.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Too little, too late Melvin.

LOLMel.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Funny how no-one mentions that he probably gets his anti-Semitic views from his holocaust-denyer father. Wonder what daddy-dearest would say about this? (or is he dead yet?).
    Free Charmed.

Hutton Gibson apparently is still alive and is about 93 years old, I think (staying alive just to spite people). Not only is he a Holocaust denier, but he also believes that the Jews are responsible for the wrong direction the Catholic Church took (second Vatican council). The guy is a brilliant, hateful crank (Jeopardy grand champion, graduated high school at 15).

People who read interviews of Mel Gibson could see trouble brewing (years and years ago) when he refused to denounce the views of his father.

Family of freaks. I hope he makes the movie and spends a gazillion bucks and it bombs the first week it comes out.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    Family of freaks. I hope he makes the movie and spends a gazillion bucks and it bombs the first week it comes out.
    I hope that he gets kicked off it, bad mouths it in the press about how it won't do well & then the first week as it opens (worldwide) it makes a gazzillion dollars. There is a risk that if it goes the otherway that he'll be all "well, who wants to go see a film about Judah Maccabee"....

Mr Piechart - Is winning a gameshow now considered an indicator of brilliance? Who knew.... *wonders if I can get on catchphrase???*
    Free Charmed.

He's reealllllllyyyy trying hard to get back on Hollywood's good side, isn't he?

Thread Information