Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Does '30 Minutes or Less' Cross the Line?

Default Does '30 Minutes or Less' Cross the Line?

PITTSBURGH (AP & staff) — When the comedy “30 Minutes or Less” opens in theaters Friday, one small group of people will be sure to avoid it.

That would be the surviving family members of Brian Wells, the 46-year-old pizza delivery driver who was killed when a metal bomb collar he was forced to wear while robbing a bank exploded in Pennsylvania eight years ago.

The movie’s handlers acknowledge the screenwriters were “vaguely” aware of Wells, but say the movie — in which two ne’er-do-wells force a pizza driver to rob a bank while wearing a time bomb vest — isn’t based on the infamous Pennsylvania collar-bomb case, and especially Wells’ grisly, tragic death.

Still, Wells’ sister, Jean Heid of Erie, said the movie isn’t funny — whether or not it was inspired by her brother’s sad fate.

“It’s hard for me to grasp how other human beings can take delight and pride in making such a movie and consider it a comedy,” Heid said in an e-mailed response to The Associated Press. Heid asked to respond by e-mail because she wanted to choose her words carefully. “I don’t think it’s funny to laugh at the innocent who are victimized by criminals, who care nothing for human life.”

“Neither the filmmakers nor the stars of ’30 Minutes or Less’ were aware of this crime prior to their involvement in the film,” Steve Elzer, the senior vice president who handles media relations for Sony Pictures’ Columbia TriStar Motion Picture Group, said in a statement. “The writers were vaguely familiar with what had occurred and wrote an original screenplay that does not mirror the real-life tragedy.”

Screenwriters Michael Diliberti and Matt Sullivan didn’t respond to requests for comment through their agent. But, based on its madcap theatrical trailer, it appears the film doesn’t mirror the Wells case beyond the pizza-bomber plot device or go anywhere near paralleling Wells’ death.

It’s still too close for comfort for some people, however.
    more at: Family, investigator question ‘pizza bomber’ movie | dailypost.org

A comparison from wired.com (Compare and Contrast: 30 Minutes or Less vs. Collar-Bomb Caper | Underwire | Wired.com) +++Contains Spoilers+++

30 Minutes or Less vs Real-Life Collar-Bomb

Story Premise
    30MoL: A pizza delivery guy goes to a far-out location, ends up with a bomb strapped to his person and is forced to rob a bank.
    Real-life: A pizza delivery guy goes to a far-out location, ends up with a bomb strapped to his person and is forced to rob a bank.

Setting
    30MoL: Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Real-life: Erie, Pennsylvania

Pizzeria
    30MoL: Nick works at Vito’s Pizza.
    Real-life: Wells worked at Mama Mia’s Pizza-Ria.

Delivery car
    30MoL: Nick drives a Mustang 5.0.
    Real-life: Wells drove a Geo Metro.

Motive
    30MoL: Dwayne (Danny McBride) thinks his rich father is spending money on stupid stuff, so he tries to get some quick cash to have his old man killed to speed up his inheritance.
    Real-life: Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong allegedly needed Wells to rob the bank to get the cash to pay to have her father killed. She believed her father “was blowing through his fortune — money she expected to inherit.”

Partner in crime
    30MoL: Nick gets help from best friend Chet (played by Aziz Ansari).
    Real-life: Wells robbed a bank solo.

Timing
    30MoL: Nick is just about to finish his shift when he gets sent on one last delivery. (You can play a Paperboy-esque pizza-delivery game on the movie’s website.)
    Real-life: Wells was at the end of his shift but agreed to one last order, which he left with around 2 p.m.

Post-caper situation
    30MoL: After the bank robbery, Nick and Chet escape arrest with the bomb intact.
    Real-life: Wells died shortly after his bank robbery while surrounded by authorities.

Bottom line
    30MoL: Is funny. (Sorta.)
    Real-life: Is not funny. (At all.)

This movie looks so stupid. The PC Police are just giving it free publicity.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

whatever. what's that saying? everything's funny as long as it happens to someone else.
    we laugh at darwin awards all the time even though their families probably don't think it's funny at all, doesn't stop us. this is no different.

i saw a trailer for the movie and it looks retarded but hilarious. i'll probably watch it. plus, i want to do dirty things to jessie eisenberg so i'd watch it for that alone.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    The PC Police are just giving it free publicity.
    Exactly. While I do feel bad for the family, the only people who will really boycott it are them and those close to them.

I don't buy that none of the directors/stars/etc of the film realized that this happened in real life though, or that the writers were only vaguely aware of it. I wonder if it was their intention to court some controversy? It would have been so easy to change the character's occupation, motives, etc without affecting the plot...

Quote Originally Posted by JerriBlank View Post
    Exactly. While I do feel bad for the family, the only people who will really boycott it are them and those close to them.

I don't buy that none of the directors/stars/etc of the film realized that this happened in real life though, or that the writers were only vaguely aware of it. I wonder if it was their intention to court some controversy? It would have been so easy to change the character's occupation, motives, etc without affecting the plot...
    I don't buy it either, not in the internet age.
    Frequently writers change enough so that they don't have to pay the family royalties for the story, but this one does appear to be closer than most....

I think its a moot point, the only people planning to see this pos anyway are drunk frat boys, and 13yos, if they can sneak in.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

*crosses fingers*

they've shown the entire movie in the trailers anyway. looks stupid.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

Bronze Member

I thought it was funny, and so did almost everyone in the audience when there was a screening last month. If you like South Park type humor, as in non-pc, making fun of everyone and everything, race/culture jokes, sex jokes, etc...then you will probably like it. As for the real life story...that's bizarre. But I bet any storyline has happened in real life at some point, or at least has some aspects of a story that has happened somewhere, sometime, to someone. Sure it's IMMATURE humor, but it's a fun movie if you don't go in expecting anything more.

Told you it would bomb. Boxofficemojo says its only barely made its money back.

I think it did cross the line. My girlfriend actually refuses to watch it, especially after I read the backstory on the Collar-Bomb Caper to her. Would it have made a great Who-Dun-It? No doubt, but this is not comedy material. Besides that I cant stand Michael Cera

Thread Information