Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Swan

Default Black Swan

Is any ballet dancer here that have seen the film?
    I am curious to know what you think of it.
    I used to do ballet ages ago, but I was never at professional levels and it's been so long, I can't really judge properly.
    I found the quality of the dancing lower than I expected, but maybe I am biased?
    Besides from that, Vincent Cassel il so annoying...

i can't comment on the dancing although kunis especially seemed to do a lot of flitting around and not much else.

i saw this film the weekend it came out with 2 friends. it has stayed on my mind so i went to see it by myself again last night. right from the beginning it struck me, it's a film about sexual abuse between the mother and daughter. the entire production is a metaphor for the daughter to escape the clutches of the mother. i got home and started investigating and many people agree. the story becomes quite clear with this revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight View Post
    i can't comment on the dancing although kunis especially seemed to do a lot of flitting around and not much else.

i saw this film the weekend it came out with 2 friends. it has stayed on my mind so i went to see it by myself again last night. right from the beginning it struck me, it's a film about sexual abuse between the mother and daughter. the entire production is a metaphor for the daughter to escape the clutches of the mother. i got home and started investigating and many people agree. the story becomes quite clear with this revelation.
    Yes, I also agree about that.
    I think that the director did a great job: the film is both subtle and graphic at the same time and really asphyxiating.
    I am not a fan of Portman's wishpered acting and hate Vincent Cassel, but the film is indeed good in delivering a message about a difficult subject.
    EDIT: it's not just the director, actually, Barbara Hershey was brilliant.
    Last edited by Melyanna; January 22nd, 2011 at 10:19 AM.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I was so annoyed by Natalies character by the end I was cheering for what was to come!

The acting was good, but for as much ballet training as they did, there was very little dancing, and when they did dance, the moves were pretty basic. If you're expecting something along the lines of "Center Stage," you'll be disappointed. The actual dancing was so underwhelming that at times I found it hard to believe they were supposed to be principal ballerinas.

The character of the mother was interesting. At times I wondered if she even existed or if, like Lily, she was just a figment of Nina's imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    The actual dancing was so underwhelming that at times I found it hard to believe they were supposed to be principal ballerinas.
    So it was not just me. As much as the film was great, the average dancing did ruin a bit the suspension of disbelief.

The character of the mother was interesting. At times I wondered if she even existed or if, like Lily, she was just a figment of Nina's imagination.
    What if the movie represents eating disorders?
    The mother would be anorexia, since Nina has a love/hate relationship with her and she tries to break free from her, but she can't.
    Kunis character would be the carefree, "normal" person that Nina wants to be, but she is also afraid of her, because it's an obstacle on her path to perfection.
    The self harm, restricting and vomiting is quite obvious, as is Nina's desire to change her body and to be under control all the time.
    Thomas Leroy is a distorted view of other people that Nina has, always making her feel judged and not good enough.

Melyanna you make some good points.

Saw this a few weeks ago. I thought that it was ok but not as good as people are saying.

The acting was great. Natalie was good but i thought that Vincent Cassell was better. By the end though i was bored.

Barbara was brilliant too.

Quote Originally Posted by Melyanna View Post

What if the movie represents eating disorders?
    The mother would be anorexia, since Nina has a love/hate relationship with her and she tries to break free from her, but she can't.
    Kunis character would be the carefree, "normal" person that Nina wants to be, but she is also afraid of her, because it's an obstacle on her path to perfection.
    The self harm, restricting and vomiting is quite obvious, as is Nina's desire to change her body and to be under control all the time.
    Thomas Leroy is a distorted view of other people that Nina has, always making her feel judged and not good enough.

SPOILERS: i think the constant scratches on her represent cutting and it is through the cuts that the black feathers emerge. the bulimia which is represented is another symptom of abuse. she is the typical perfect girl, afraid to upset anyone and totally destroyed at anything discouraging. even the scene where she barfs is so subtle, almost dainty. she isn't even crouching over the toilet.
    the film is so multi-layered. it is riveting. the scene where she escapes her mother and runs to the theatre had me holding my breath. i wonder why the director chose hershey, she's not easy to look at anymore. perhaps her masculine face is the very reason. this is a good analysis i think:

Black Swan: Movie about Mother-Daughter Sexual Abuse « Blooming Lotus

fgg

i didn't see the sexual abuse issue when i saw the movie but after looking at that link and watching a review:

Black Swan - The Freedomain Radio Review - Freedomain Radio - blip.tv

i understand it. at first i just saw a creepy relationship between the mother-daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i didn't see the sexual abuse issue when i saw the movie but after looking at that link and watching a review:

Black Swan - The Freedomain Radio Review - Freedomain Radio - blip.tv

i understand it. at first i just saw a creepy relationship between the mother-daughter.

i was the same. the first time i was mezmerized but thinking what is this all about? last night right from the first 3 minutes of the film, it hit me.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight View Post
    SPOILERS: i think the constant scratches on her represent cutting and it is through the cuts that the black feathers emerge. the bulimia which is represented is another symptom of abuse. she is the typical perfect girl, afraid to upset anyone and totally destroyed at anything discouraging. even the scene where she barfs is so subtle, almost dainty. she isn't even crouching over the toilet.
    the film is so multi-layered. it is riveting. the scene where she escapes her mother and runs to the theatre had me holding my breath. i wonder why the director chose hershey, she's not easy to look at anymore. perhaps her masculine face is the very reason. this is a good analysis i think:

Black Swan: Movie about Mother-Daughter Sexual Abuse « Blooming Lotus
    I agree that the film is so multi-layered. I actually think that this is the strongest point of the film. This and the subtleness.
    It made me feel nervous even in those moments when there was nothing strange happening on screen.

Thank you for sharing the link, too: it is indeed a great analysis.
    I think that myself seing anorexia as one of the themes of the film confirms the parent-child abuse theory, as the two things are often linked.
    My childhood has been too far from child abuse for me to get it the first time, I think, but I got a glimpse of that as I saw the anorexia.

This film is truly deep!

I believe that Hershey has that kind of face that says "I was once beautiful" that is perfect for the part, and her performance was definitely one of the best of the film.

The acting was good, but for as much ballet training as they did, there was very little dancing, and when they did dance, the moves were pretty basic. If you're expecting something along the lines of "Center Stage," you'll be disappointed. The actual dancing was so underwhelming that at times I found it hard to believe they were supposed to be principal ballerinas.

I haven't seen the movie but I was wondering whether they would've used body doubles/pro dancers to perform some of the routines. I don't expect Natalie and Mila to be outstanding ballet dancers.

If you're expecting something along the lines of "Center Stage," you'll be disappointed. The actual dancing was so underwhelming that at times I found it hard to believe they were supposed to be principal ballerinas.

LOVE LOVE LOVE Center Stage!

I saw this when it first came out, thought it was great! May have to go back and watch again because I did not pick up on the sexual abuse at all (now I'm going to read those reviews). Also, did Lily really not exist? I'm so confused now...
    I usually don't analyze movies for their deeper meanings. LOL, poop and fart jokes get me more.

I loved Barbara Hershey and Vincent Cassel is the sex, so that was enough for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Now that I think about it, the dancing was not impressive. Not at the level of all of the prep these actresses are claiming they did to get ready.

the sexual abuse theory has some good points, but i still don't really see it. but that's why i loved the movie, there are so many aspects and there's so much room for interpretation.

At times I wondered if she even existed or if, like Lily, she was just a figment of Nina's imagination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    Also, did Lily really not exist? I'm so confused now...
    lily did exist. nina just imagined most of the stuff she did with her.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information