Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One

Default Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part One

Really? No threads on this yet? I'm shocked.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was brilliant in many ways. It really hugged close to the book. My one disappointment was (in white): The way they treated Hedwig's death. It was almost an afterthought. For many readers, that seemed to be a defining moment...the time you realized how serious everything had become.

I really liked it as well but I gotta say Bella I was kind of glad they barely touched on that. I was crying like a big baby anyway. I hate that I have to wait until July for the next one.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I have been hanging to see it. My kiddo shockingly is "over" his HP obsession, or so he says. I'll wait until next weekend to go see it I think.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Won't be released until wednesday in France, and I can't wait to see it !
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Quote Originally Posted by Bellatheball View Post
    Really? No threads on this yet? I'm shocked.

Saw it tonight. Thought it was brilliant in many ways. It really hugged close to the book. My one disappointment was (in white): The way they treated Hedwig's death. It was almost an afterthought. For many readers, that seemed to be a defining moment...the time you realized how serious everything had become.
    i saw it last thursday and loved it. i'm a huge fan of the hp books and all the movies so far have disappointed me, until this one. but yeah, i agree with the part in white. although, sad as it was, even in the books it didn't affect me as much as sirius' death or even poor cedric diggory. still, they could have spent more time on that.
    another thing (in white): i'd planned to read the last book again before the movie came out but didn't get round to it so i could be wrong but if i remember correctly, in the book, voldemort doesn't get his hands on the elder wand until nearly the end, and here they made it look as if it happened halfway through the story. does anyone remember exactly when it happened? if it does happen later, my other theory is that they included that in the end as a sort of teaser of what's to come but didn't intend to imply that that is when it actually happened.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ It happens about halfway through the last book. I'm not sure where in the film it happens, or how the film lines up to the book. I'm seeing it this week.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I didn't have the chance to reread either yet. I was talking to a superfan prior to it coming out, but the information about where it split had already been reported and they said in the book it's just after they get to Hogwarts so they had hope we'd actually get to see a bit of the school in this movie. I don't know if that's physically near the midway point of the book, but it seems like it isn't TOO far from the midpoint if I'm remembering it correctly.

ah ok, i wasn't sure and when it happened in the movie seemed a bit odd but i couldn't remember exactly when it happened in the book either.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Saw it this weekend with my husband and son and loved it. But my husband...who hasn't read the books and has barely watched about half the movies...thought it dragged a bit in parts. But he still enjoyed it for its darkness, which surprised him a bit since I guess he had it in his head that we were going to see more of a "kid's movie" (even though I'd tried to tell him this one would be 'different') and it turned out to be more grown up.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Boring as shit.

Whiny protoadults moping and brooding about drama, almost zero wizarding, no sense of fun, not even really any humor.

hooray, interminable scenes of camping in the scottish highlands while early 20 somethings bitch and moan about inconsequential bullshit.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I freaking LOVED it! Thought it was the best one yet, by far. Can't believe we've got so long to wait for the next one, although I bet it'll be incredible.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Boring as shit.

Whiny protoadults moping and brooding about drama, almost zero wizarding, no sense of fun, not even really any humor.

hooray, interminable scenes of camping in the scottish highlands while early 20 somethings bitch and moan about inconsequential bullshit.
    But that's how the book was. *shrug* Why would there be a sense of fun and humor in such a dark time??

I loved it, I'm with gas_chick in that I'm glad they didn't spend time on that because I remember it being pretty tragic for me when I read about it, I was however surprised by how they treated the other death considering that character hadn't really had a major role in the movies aside from Chamber of Secrets and I lost control of myself in the theater and was bawling for that.

I have to say that these movies have progressed beautifully. With the variety of directors there was potential for some pretty crappy films but each director captured the essence of each enstallment really well.
    All you can do at life is play along and hope that sometimes you get it right.

Silver Member

What happens with Hedwig is better handled in the film than in the book, IMO. The way the film handles Wormtail getting jumped in Malfoy Manor and Ron's reaction to Hermione's torture--THOSE were disappointing.

Also I wished they'd kept Potterwatch, though I understand why they didn't. And I'd still like to know how they plan to handle cutting the House of Gaunt memories from the last film--how will they explain what they need to about Voldemort's background?

i don't care if that's how the book was, as a film it sucked ass and couldn't stand on its own.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

There were a bunch of obnoxious teens in my showing who kept whining about how boring it was. Turns out their pottertard friends had dragged them to it and since they didn't know the books they couldn't follow.

Dunno how it is for non fans but as a fan I liked it a lot.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information