Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC launching "Skating with the Stars"

Default ABC launching "Skating with the Stars"

'Skating With the Stars' enlists Vince Neil, Sean Young, others

By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY

Blade Runner star Sean Young and heavy-metal band frontman Vince Neil will strap on a different kind of steel when they hit the ice on ABC's inaugural edition of Skating With the Stars Nov. 22.

"I'm not a great skater, but I'm an athletic person," says Young, 50, who hopes to burnish her star appeal on the six-episode series. "It's been a fun experience (rehearsing). I'm in shape, but the ice wears you out. It's challenging, but I've enjoyed it so far."

Young and Mötley Crüe's Neil will compete against reality star Bethenny Frankel, Olympic gold-medal skier Jonny Moseley and actors Rebecca Budig (ABC soap All My Children ) and Brandon Smith (Disney Channel's Sonny With a Chance).

ABC hopes Skating With the Stars — which pairs celebs with skate professionals — will hold onto the viewers expected to tune into the season performance finale of the network's popular Dancing With the Stars.

"The ice world is a fantastic backdrop for a performance show," says Skating producer Izzie Pick. "It requires a great deal of skill and bravery."

No doubt. But TV's last ice-centric celebrity series, Fox's Skating With Celebrities , was canceled after just one season in 2006. (A popular British version, Dancing on Ice, begins its sixth season in 2011).

Neil, whose hell-raising rock-star rep dates from the 1980s, may seem an odd choice. But Neil skated competitively for two years as a youngster.

"The first day I put on skates, I didn't think I could do it. Within a half an hour, it was all coming back," says Neil, 49. "It's still tough — I'm not as limber or as graceful, but I was doing jumps after three days."

Neil says he has progressed to a level where he's competitive. "I didn't go into this for a fun couple of weeks. I want to win this thing. I've even discussed how I want the trophy engraved."

Young says she's not concerned by rivals. "Quite frankly, there is no real competition except the fight with yourself and what you're able to do," she says.

Despite the smallish celeb lineup, finding six stars was difficult. "For Dancing, I can get an 80-year-old who isn't in shape and doesn't know how to dance," says producer Deena Katz, who handles both shows. "With Skating, they have to already know some moves."

Like DWTS, Skating will feature professional partners and experienced judges, including two-time Olympic gold medalist Dick Button and three-time U.S. national champion Johnny Weir. Stars will be judged on specific moves — including lifts and spins — that will get increasingly difficult as the series progresses, Pick says.
    'Skating With the Stars' enlists Vince Neil, Sean Young, others - USATODAY.com

Johnny baby!

I saw the promo for this on last night's DWTS.

Just wondering how they're gonna keep Sean Young sober enough to stand up, much less skate.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Vince and Sean I'm all over this trainwreck.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I hope they have Shawn in a Catwoman suit! bitch is craycray!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

What's next? "Shooting up with the Stars"?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I just saw this advertised last night. Vince Neil,....omg!!! lol I will have to watch, just to see if he breaks his neck or not. The guy was not in shape at all, last time I saw him in concert. Fuck, didn't he save or invest any of his Crue money? Why do this stupid show?

Skating with the Has-Beens and Never-Weres.

This is getting a bit retarded.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Actually they did the same kind of show on Fox a few years ago. That's where home-wrecking whore Kristy Swanson found her new husband, who was her skating partner.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I'd rather watch a kid blow snot bubbles then watch this.
    "I'm sorry, but I don't date ugly people."

Sean Young can't be any worse than she is on Young and the Restless.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    Vince and Sean I'm all over this trainwreck.
    I bet Vince Neil never thought he'd live to see the day he'd put on a pair of ice skates and look all gay.

Hell, I thought I'd never live to see the day Vince Neil would put on a pair of ice skates and look all gay.

This guy on ice skates?

But then again, there's alot of things on TV I never thought I'd see with my favorite blonde rockers!

Sebastian Bach on Celebrity Fit Club. Gunnar Nelson on Celebrity Fit Club. ( Hell, Gunnar wasn't even really fat!) But who could've imagined these hot blonde dudes every worrying about weight?!

Sebastian back in the day:

Gunnar back in the day:

Then there's good Brett Michaels' Rock of Love. Come to think of it, that concept was more believable than any of them. A rock star banging skanks. Go figure.

Now, if I ever see Robert Plant or Justin Hayward on a reality show, someone kill me. Please.
    Last edited by Bluebonnet; November 21st, 2010 at 10:22 PM.

Hmmmm. Rick Nelson's kid needs a haircut. Badly.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

This honestly seems kind of dangerous to me. Figure skating, especially with a partner, is not something that can be safely taught and performed in a matter of weeks. Dancing is relatively harmless, but there is potential for serious injury to both the "stars" and their professional partners in this if they are out there on the ice trying to do stunts with no fucking clue what they're doing and about two weeks of skating experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Hmmmm. Rick Nelson's kid needs a haircut. Badly.
    Brookie, that picture is from 1990. Here he is now:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information